Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

PC game crashing upon upgrading to 16gb dual channel ram

Solved 
9K views 43 replies 5 participants last post by  Blu_86 
#1 · (Edited)
I decided to upgrade my ram from 8gb single channel to 16gb dual channel. I ordered x2 8gb 2666mhz ddr4 ram and installed it into my PC. At first everything seemed fine, but when I tried playing a game, the PC then crashed and gave me a BSOD (For whatever reason now though, the PC only kicks me back to the desktop screen whenever I try playing a game). The PC then runs fine when I take out one of the 2 sticks, leaving it with only 8gb installed. My PC parts are all relatively new and I have also never attempted to overclock my PC. I'm not that bright when it comes to PC's so please don't be too cryptic with your answer. If you need to ask me any questions I'm all ears.

My PC Specs are as follows:

-Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-A320M-S2H
-CPU: AMD Athlon 200ge
- RAM: 16gb ddr4 2666mhz dual channel Adata ram (currently being used)
-Graphics: GTX 750ti
-PSU: TorQue 500 watt Eco Green Power Supply

CPU-Z Information should be shown in attached file:

Attachments

See less See more
#30 · (Edited)
So I just went into the bios of my PC not that long ago to try and enable XMP profile and lower my frequency to 2400. Unfortunately though I can't seem to find the XMP profile and many of the options (including the frequency option) are gray and won't allow me to interact with them or change anything. Do you know why that is? There should be a picture to show you exactly what my bios look like. The image shows the location as to where the XMP profile should be located. It also shows the grayed out settings (although it may be hard to see due to the quality). I'm guessing I'm gonna have to update the bios or something to fix this.

Attachments

#32 ·
Yes you can find something on youtube generally speaking just be careful. Your specific memory being stock green/value ram may not have an actual "XMP" profile, skip to about 3:32 in this video and start watching how to manually adjust if your board has no XMP profile for your ram. Generally speaking you're going want to allow what the motherboard sets your memory at default regarding timings (for now) and look for stability (setting it manually to 2400 MHz). Once / if you get stability then you can think about getting to 2666 mhz. Usually changing values means +/- once you on the field you want to change you will see it start to toggle up and down through those values. Also remember at any time you can reset your bios to "optimized defaults" if things seem to go awry, as well as clear CMOS. Main thing is get to get your sticks set at 2400 MHz watch the behavior, boot up, boot down, restarting, surfing, gaming etc. 1.2v is fine, great even DDR4 2666 is usually 1.2v. If you do not feel comfortable doing all this there is zero shame in taking your PC to a shop and let them do it just be sure you have checked them out via BBB and reviews in your area.

Here is the vid take your time watching it.

#33 · (Edited)
I'd be willing to give it a go myself first before sending it anywhere. If it becomes too difficult for me to figure out then as you said I suppose sending it in to be checked by professionals would be the best option. I'm just pretty broke at the moment with college and stuff so fixing this problem myself would suit me far more than paying others to do the job for me. I'm kinda new to PC gaming and would say that I'm pretty inexperienced when it comes to this type of stuff. I know the basic stuff but that's about it really.

#34 ·
I just want to know something about bios updates. Does the latest update also include everything from the previous updates or does it only include what it describes as having? For example: an older update has better support for my CPU. Would the latest update include that update too or would I have to specifically download that older update to get that CPU support?

#35 ·
Yes BIOS updates are typically cumulative. In the case of wanting to use an older BIOS for example a Ryzen Gen 1 there are some cases for that where the Matisse update doesn't apply to using the BIOS with older processors reliably or have erratic behavior. So for example if you got a B450 from newegg or amazon where it actually was updated to be compiabible with Ryzen 3000 there is some chance one might have to revert though small.

Addressing your B350 Gigabyte, it should be no problem to get DDR4 2400 set, and you can always test each stick seperately with memtest86. You're looking for general stability before you ramp up to 2666 mhz. If you can't get there you can always test each stick seperately with memtest86 as well run the PC with each stick alone. There is a chance you have a marginal stick of ram but usually in that case you would see other types of anomolies happening as well. DDR4 2400-2666-2667-2933-3000-3200-3400-3600-3800-4000 are all actually DDR4 2133 mhz base operational speeds - and they are "binned" and tested with the bin speed and they are then rated with that overclocking potential in mind and sold as such. Remember there is no guarantee that you will get DDR4 2666 with both sticks but actually should be very easy you have good sticks with loose timings and low default voltage 2666 should be easily attainable. Keep at it just remember keeep it simple, take your time, get 2400 mhz working then set eyes on 2666 once you are stable in all phases of general and performance operation.

#36 ·
So should I try reinstalling window 10 and if that doesn't work, try windows 7 instead? I'll give it a go if nothing else works since I think I've figured out how to change my frequency in the bios to 2400mhz. If that doesn't work though, I'll try what you said. For all I know it could actually just be a CS:GO thing and every other game could work perfectly as I haven't gotten around to testing other games. Even if that is the case, I don't want CS:GO to suddenly stop working though while every other game works fine from a ram upgrade. It just shouldn't be the case

#38 · (Edited by Moderator)
Wow...it's working!!! Things actually go my way for once! I did as Blu_86 said and turned my frequency down to 2400mhz in the bios, now all my games are running perfectly! Turned out also that CS:GO wasn't the only game crashing on me before. I recently tried some other games on the PC. Some of the lower end games I tried ran fine, but when I tried playing a higher end game like Subnautica or CS:GO, the PC would crash as usual. The only question I have left to ask now is will changing the frequency from 2666mhz to 2400mhz effect my performance in a massive way or are we talking minor differences. Btw thanks for all the help! I honestly would have given up if it was just left up to me to fix it myself.

#40 ·
Dylan,

I've edited your post for language. Please be more careful in the future as this is a family friendly site.
Sorry about that... I was wondering if you would be able to delete my account for me since my problem has pretty much been solved. I may end up making another one in future if needed but for now I won't be using it so I'd be happier if my profile was gotten rid of. I also just want to say that this site was very helpful and the people here were very respectful when it came to helping me out! I'll likely be coming back here again if I encounter more problems in future.

#41 ·
If you intend to return for more assistance then it would be best to leave the account open so you don't keep creating new ones. It also creates a history of previous computer issues that we often refer back to when troubleshooting future ones. However, the choice is yours, of course. I will await your final decision.

#44 ·
No memory performance won't be affected much even if on the Ryzen platform, until you start getting into high end CPU's- GPU's, and high end resolutions, E.G 2k-4k with GTX 1080ti, RTX 2080-2020ti, 5700XT. Ryzen systems scale better with memory than Intel systems and the drop off point is actually 3000 MHz where you start to get diminishing returns past that point but still 2400 MHz is perfectly fine and usually far more stable for the every day system. Personally as a gamer myself I consider a "stable" system more valuable than an uber-tweaked system especially if your PC is also your "daily driver". Enjoy your system! and keep your account and help others out here with your own experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.