Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

PC half-freezing while playing videogames?

408 views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  crjdriver 
#1 ·
Pretty often while I am playing video games will sort of half-freeze, where my mouse and audio would play but everything is unresponsive and cant be interacted with. During these freezes, I noticed that my HDD light turns off, and my GPU goes to 0% usage in task manager. Any help?

GPU: Geforce GTX 1060 6gb
CPU: AMD Ryzen 2600x 3.6ghz
MOBO: x470 gaming plus
RAM: 16 GB

#2 ·
What about processor usage? When your HDD light turns off, and your GPU goes to 0% usage in task manager, does your CPU usage shoot upwards? - Only I'm thinking that your system may be laden down with running other programs of a dubious nature that you maybe don't even know you're running; i.e. adware, spyware, PUPs, malware even.

#3 ·
My CPU doesn't act erratic at all during the moments of freezing, although I am not entirely sure it is related to my problem, but occasionally my disk will hit 100% with very little MB in usage, for example, at some times around 10 processes using 0.1-0.3 MB/s will fill my disk to 100%, but during other times having certain programs utilizing 8-10 MB/s would leave me at around somewhere around 70%. my HDD is a recently installed WD Red 2TB, ( due to my old seagate barracuda 1tb stopped working and led to BSOD's. )

#4 ·
First off your using a NAS HDD as your primary C drive. For the price of that 2 tb drive you could have grabbed a 500 GB SSD or even a 1TB SSD.

That aside, have you checked what programs you have running at startup? Have you checked your system for any malware/spyware? Do you have all your mobo drivers installed and up to date?

#5 ·
I ran a malwarebytes check, and have eliminated 3 responses, and upon inspection of startup programs, I had found a suspicious application simply named "Program" without an icon. I have removed all 4 elements and am now updating my motherboard. Thank you for the help so far, and I will likely return following a potential freeze.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.