Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

How to Achieve a More Stable Wifi Connection on PS4?

2K views 13 replies 3 participants last post by  Couriant 
#1 ·
Hello, I have a question regarding the wifi connection for the PlayStation 4. I wasn't sure if I should post this question in this sub-forum or the networking one... Hopefully I chose right. Anyway, I've been having some problems when it comes to online gaming where it seems that my wifi connection just doesn't seem to be quite stable enough (or so I'm suspecting, but I'm not positive), so I get connection error messages fairly frequently as of late. I'm not sure what I can do about this.

I am well aware that a wired connection via ethernet/LAN is preferred, and while I would like to be able to do that I have CenturyLink as my internet provider, which the internet gets its signal through the DirecTV television line, and this line is downstairs and I certainly can't rewire the line to go upstairs where my PS4 is. The modem/router has to be connected to that television line which is downstairs by my television. It's certainly not ideal but, unfortunately, I don't think that there's much that I can do about that. In short, the modem/router is downstairs where the line is, my PS4 is upstairs where there is no line.

Is there something I can do to boost the strength of the signal and get it more stable? The speed seems to be just fine, it's just the stability of the signal. I've raised the modem up from the floor as much as I can and cleared as much as I can away from it. Is there anything I can do to make the wifi signal on my PS4 more stable and stronger? Would a signal booster of some kind work? Or something like a wifi-to-LAN converter, something similar to this https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B014SK2H6W?pf_rd_p=183f5289-9dc0-416f-942e-e8f213ef368b&pf_rd_r=CPXK4S1RQY2MDWM7ZR7F? Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you!

See less See more
#4 · (Edited)
I am not sure if the internet comes from your DirecTV television line... AT&T owns DirecTV :)

As to the issue in hand, what does the PS4 show the signal strength in the Settings > Network > View Connection Status and have you done a connection test to see what speeds you are getting?
The error message reads "game may exhibit problems due to insufficient connection speed". Strange this is, it tends to only lag or drop out in the lobby section of games. When I'm actually playing in a match I don't usually run into any lag at all. But when I'm in the lobby or anywhere else then it'll lag, drop the signal, disconnect, and so on.

I'm not sure how many gigs my plan is off the top of my head but I remember from the last time I called them they told me that I had the highest amount. Whatever that is.

And no, the modem definitely receives its signal through the television line. I don't have a phone jack where the modem is, and the modem is connected into the DirecTV DVR. There's a big thick (and unfortunately ugly) line that runs along the wall behind the television and outside, it has a splitter that connects it to the modem and the DVR, and then there's another cord that connects the DVR and modem. That's how the technician set it up, I haven't touched it. :p

If it helps any, the modem is from Centurylink and I believe that the manufacturer is XyZEL. Model number C2100Z.

I ran a speed test from my laptop while I'm sitting about ten feet or so away from the modem and these are the results I got...
Ping: 5
Download: 40.95 Mbps
Upload: 5.14 Mbps

I did try a few speed tests on my PS4 and the results varied wildly each time I tried it. Some tests I ran one right after another, other tests I waited a few minutes between each. These are some of the results...

I tried switching to the Google DNS and the the Cloudflare DNS but that didn't really make much of a difference, in fact while the download speed got a little better the upload speed dropped. The images above are with the default DNS settings.

Also, the room with the PS4 is on the floor above the modem, which the modem is in my living room. In fact, the room with the PS4 is almost directly above my living room.

#3 ·
I am not sure if the internet comes from your DirecTV television line... AT&T owns DirecTV :)

As to the issue in hand, what does the PS4 show the signal strength in the Settings > Network > View Connection Status and have you done a connection test to see what speeds you are getting?

This post has been deleted
#6 ·
Heres what you can try. Note, this would only optimize your system performace, i do not think it is a wifi problem because you have more than sufficient speed. If not then try a LAN wire.
Here we go:
Delete games you dont play anymore or are outdated in your storage along with application saved data
OR
Power off the system completely for 20-30 seconds which will clear cache
OR
Hold the power button for 7-8 seconds until you hear two beeps --> press the PS button --> Rebuild data base

Goodluck!
Well then if AT&T/DirecTV and CenturyLink is on the same coax (tv) line, then that's a problem.... Besides, CenturyLink's highest plan it looks like is 140Mbps. So if you are getting 40 out of the 100-140 as advertised, then you would want to get CenturyLink in to test the line. There is a plan for 40-80Mbps for ~$45 ... but your upload is suspicious so try to get them to test the line.

I have had DirecTV before and the only reason it's connected to the modem is for the on demand shows / internet apps. Other thing that could distrupt the connection is the DirecTV if it's using the on demand, or if you have a device using a peer-to-peer software like uTorrent.

On your laptop, download this free software to check your signal strength from the modem. It is a zip file so when you download it, extract it to the desktop then run the exe file. When you run it, the software will show you all the networks your computer sees. Highlight your network, then take a screenshot/snipping tool and paste it here.
I haven't had a chance to try resetting my PS4 yet, I'll have to do that later today, but here's the information from the WifiInfoView program.

==================================================
SSID : CenturyLink4188
MAC Address : 60-31-97-BD-3B-61
PHY Type : 802.11g/n
RSSI : -23
Signal Quality : 91
Average Signal Quality: 90.2
Frequency : 2.437
Channel : 6
Information Size : 363
Elements Count : 17
Company : Zyxel Communications Corporation
Router Model : C2100Z
Router Name : C2100Z
Security : WPA-PSK + WPA2-PSK
Cipher : TKIP+CCMP
Maximum Speed : 144 Mbps
Channel Width : 20 MHz
Channels Range : 4 - 8
BSS Type : Infrastructure
WPS Support : Configured
First Detection : 10/17/2019 12:42:03 PM
Last Detection : 10/17/2019 12:45:04 PM
Detection Count : 179
Start Time : 10/11/2019 6:26:10 PM
Minimum Signal Quality: 86
Maximum Signal Quality: 99
802.11 Standards : 802.11e/i
Connected : Yes
Stations Count : 3
Channel Utilization: 22.4%
Country Code :
Description :
==================================================

When I'm on my PS4 I don't usually have anything else running at the time, like my laptop or PC. I sometimes have my iPhone next to me, but other than the DVR downstairs, that's about all that I would have on, at least that I can think of.

Out of curiosity, how would I be able to connect my PS4 with a LAN cable? What would I connect it to? I don't have anything upstairs that I would be able to connect it to, I don't think, because doesn't that usually connect to a modem? I'm not very tech savvy about this sort of stuff so I'm probably just not understanding. :p

#5 ·
Well then if AT&T/DirecTV and CenturyLink is on the same coax (tv) line, then that's a problem.... Besides, CenturyLink's highest plan it looks like is 140Mbps. So if you are getting 40 out of the 100-140 as advertised, then you would want to get CenturyLink in to test the line. There is a plan for 40-80Mbps for ~$45 ... but your upload is suspicious so try to get them to test the line.

I have had DirecTV before and the only reason it's connected to the modem is for the on demand shows / internet apps. Other thing that could distrupt the connection is the DirecTV if it's using the on demand, or if you have a device using a peer-to-peer software like uTorrent.

On your laptop, download this free software to check your signal strength from the modem. It is a zip file so when you download it, extract it to the desktop then run the exe file. When you run it, the software will show you all the networks your computer sees. Highlight your network, then take a screenshot/snipping tool and paste it here.

#7 ·
Powerline adapters, though that will be dependent on the power lines themselves, and if they are on the same circuit.

Your signal according to this report looks good, and doesn't appear to have too much contamination from other networks

so I would first ask CenturyLink to do a line test.

#8 ·
Well, I did the database rebuild on the PS4. That didn't make any difference. I deleted some games and opened up some more memory and that didn't make a difference, either. I'll try giving Centurylink a call and see what they say. Ugh, it's always a joy sitting on hold for two hours with them.

This post has been deleted
#14 ·
Your modem is upstairs while youre playing from downstairs? Sorry if i didnt understand you initially but if thats the case then youre first going to need a router.
The modem is a modem/router combination, plus since the modem is not in the same room (or same floor level) then running an Ethernet cable most likely will be not an option ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.