Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Overclocking problem

2K views 22 replies 4 participants last post by  lynx1021 
#1 ·
So I've been trying to overclock my cpu (Intel xeon x3450) and I change the settings in the bios. I have it set to run at 3.2ghz but it isn't doing anything. I don't know what to do so I need help.

#2 ·
According to this.....your base clock and boost clock is this;
  • Processor Base Frequency2.66 GHz
  • Max Turbo Frequency3.20 GHz

I don't see where you OC'd it. You've just set it to it's boos clock. What type of PC is this....laptop/desktop? Is this a retail OEM PC....like a Dell, HP? If so, what's the make/model number of it?

If this is a laptop: I would reset the BIOS back to default and let the boost kick in when needed.

#3 ·
There is a LOT more to overclocking than simply making a bios setting. Post ALL of your exact system specs; ie exact motherboard, exact ram, exact pw supply, etc, etc. Do not post "500W pw supply" Post the exact brand and model# Do that for ALL of your parts.

Next I have a saying "Do not overclock with parts you cannot afford to replace" As long as you understand there is NO safe overclock; all overclocking entails some degree of risk.

#6 ·
Eureka.....you have a Xeon processor....by default they are not meant to be OC'd. They are designed to be used in a server/work station environments. With that said, I would highly recommend you reset your OC back to default and then reset BIOS back to default. Check your mobo manual for a suitable CPU that you can OC.
https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-P55-UD3-rev-10#ov

Note: Intel CPU's with a K after the model # is designed for OC'ing.

https://www.intel.com/content/dam/w...orkstation-overclocking-risks-white-paper.pdf

#7 · (Edited)
Most [almost all] xeon processors are locked ie you cannot overclock other than by adjusting the bclk. So setting the multi or speed in the bios is NOT going to affect anything. Again the ONLY way you are going to OC is by adjusting bclk or sometimes called FSB.
Overclocking by bclk is not as simple as adj a multi; if you want instructions, post back. Do understand the rule sited in my first post.

#9 ·
There is no easy answer to that question. Turbo boost is predicated on a number of variables;
1 CPU load
2 CPU temp AND the temp relative to max temp
3 Motherboard and how well it regulates vcore or cpu voltage

I also notice on the support page there is a bios update that addresses just this issue; turbo boost. Are you running the latest bios?

#14 ·
By attempting to OC, you may have turned OFF turbo boost. In any case, make sure you are running the latest bios. If you are, then clear cmos with the clear pins. If you are not running the latest bios, then update; when you update, it should return all bios settings to default.

Note be SURE you read and fully understand the flashing procedure. While a bios update is not difficult, an incorrect flash can render your motherboard unbootable ie junk. That motherboard has the gigabyte dual bios SO that makes it almost idiot proof to update the bios however do read the procedure.

#15 ·
i will have to check later but is there an option in the bios i have to change to enable the boost clock?
Have you read your manual?
Yes, there are settings for turbo boost and it is on page 40 of the online manual. The very first thing you ever do when messing with the bios is to read the manual.

#18 ·
I use CPU-z. My cpu base clock is 3.4 and boost is 4.0. To set mine to max boost I went old school, control panel/system&security/power options and set it to high performance. Then checked cpuz...it's reading 3999.99 mhz. So it's at 4.0 ghz. Then I set it back to balanced and it idles at 800 mhz and spikes to 2199.99 mhz just randomly as I type this. Then click on a video on youtube and bamb, it's up and holding at 399.99 mhz.

Mine works just fine. Do I seen any noticeable performance gain.....NO. Is there a gain....Yes, we just don't see it.

#20 ·
As I stated I would reset your BIOS back to default....either in the BIOS itself or more preferably using the jumpers or pull the CMOS battery for 5 minutes.

You trying to OC your CPU that wasn't meant to be OC'd and you may inadvertently damaged your CPU.
I have reset my bios options to default and now my pc freezes when starting up windows (dots don't move) how do I fix this?

#22 ·
Honestly at this point, I think your best option is to take your system to a shop. From your posts and the questions you are asking, it appears to me that fixing this system is above your current skill level.
Up to you if you want to keep trying and we can still attempt to get this running however it would be fastest to take it to a shop. By shop I mean just, that a real shop that does builds, installs networks, etc. NOT a Best Buy or other chain store.

#23 ·
Since you have reset your BIOS it probably went back to IDE instead of SATA Under :Integrated Peripherals
PCH SATA Control Mode [IDE]= change to AHCI
SATA Port0-3 Native Mode [Enabled= leave enabled

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.