Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Windows XP Pro Partition issues

2K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  SeanLaurence 
#1 ·
My Drive "0" is a 1T GB drive and has been formatted with three partitions, "G", "C", and "F". The "G" partition with 13.77GB has my Windows XP Pro OS installed on the drive and also has the MBR. The "C" partition drive (431.0GB) and was setup to load my Windows XP Pro OS, and the "F"partition drive (429.0GB) was setup to download Windows 7.

Anyway, I was told that my that my "G" drive partition was FULL thus I was no longer able to backup any new work performed, nor was I able to download any additional software.

Then someone told me about EaseUS Partition Master so I downloaded it to my "C" drive partition. I had all sorts of issues trying to resize/move the "G" drive partition. I was then told that I must create some collocated space on my "C" drive partition. So, I clicked on the "C" partition and drug the right side of the partition to the left. I now had 238 GB of unallotted space. T then clicked on my "G" drive and moved the end of this drive into the unallocated space created on the "C" drive. Then I clicked on the on the upper left tab which read Perform task or something like that, and once the operation was completed the system re-booted. The Windows POST screen appeared and just froze. I re-started the PC several times but the same thing happened I had a small Windows logo screen and a mouse arrow but other than that, nothing.

After talking with the Tech with EaseUS and letting him take-over my screen, he suggested that I try the Windows Recovery Console. At first I entered "R" on the first Recovery screen and ran Chkdsk /p /r. When the scan completed I didn't notice any disk errors. Thus I typed in EXIT and shortly after my PC attempted to boot-up. The same thing happened as before but this time I got a BSOD. I couldn't read anything because it came and went at lightning speed.

I then entered the Recovery Console once more. This time I let the setup continue to the second set of repair options and pressed "R" to Repair Windows XP. I thought about performing a clean install but didn't want to take a change on loosing any of my data on the "G" partition.

When the REPAIR Windowx XP process started everything in the setup went smooth. Unfortunately it was 2:00 A.M. and I fell asleep. The following morning I looked in on the computer to see if the setup had completed but noticed that the setup process had frozen. So I thought it best to start the Windows Setup all over. However, while the Setup process completed as it should, when the PC booted this time it did nothing but cycle on and off with a BSOD flash message seconds later.

I've even tried loading a copy of Windows on a clean 1T drive thinking if I could get Windows up and running on the new drive I could then place the drive with the "G", "C", and "F" drive partitions in a docking bay and copy all the partitions from the old drive to the new drive.

Sorry for being so long=winded, but I thought I had bring you up to speed with what's going on.

Can someone HELP, or properly advise me on what I can do to get my system up and running and save all my work?

Mzinman

One more thing. My Username is Mainman, Somehow I typed in Mzinman. How can I change this?

See less See more
#4 ·
Man, I have been attempting to respond to you thread for about a week now but could never get this REPLY box.
Anyway, I can CLONE the drive but it's too late now. My "G" partition which contains my copy of Windows and the MBR has been deleted apparently when I attempted to Resize/move the contents of "G" to unalloted space created on "C".
I was able to use the Windows XP Recovery Console to Repair my existing Windows XP Pro installation. However,
as the Windows Setup, I started to get a BSOD message and the reboot cycled over and over.
Finally I was able to get the new Windows XP installation to work but have lost all my data on partition "G".
I;m going to try and recover the data on my "G" partition. I sure hope it works.

#5 ·
I would advise you to purchase a new hard drive and set up windows 10 on it while your existing hard drive is unplugged. You can use your windows 7 key to activate windows 10.
Once your windows 10 is up and running, then add you existing drive in. You should be able to copy your data from the newly lettered partitions over to your new drive.
You have not made mention of any backup.
Playing with partition tables, when you don't have a solid backup is crazy.
It is ill advised to continue using windows XP. Even windows 7 's end of life is fast approaching.

#6 ·
I hate to admit it, but you're absolutely right. I kept telling myself to make a backup, and even attempted to do so by backing up the contents of my "G" partition to my "C" partition. I even tried cloning the "G" partition to my "C" partition but didn't realize until later that the "trial" download of EaseUS does not permit one to do any actual drive manipulations. So, since I was already committed to the transfer, I ended up having to purchase a single copy of EaseUS which is basically useless now. Regrettably I did not follow up and backup my very important data. I did purchase another 1T HDD and reloaded Windows XP but I will eventually install Windows 7, perhaps even Windows 10 Thanks for your input.

#8 ·
Yeah! I know that as well . . . using the old proverbial phrase: hindsight is 20/20. Yet according to EaseUS, they have a Data Recovery Program which is an additional software at an additional cost. My concern is: I discussed this issue with EaseUS and asked why can't use the trial version to see if the software works before buying. No reply.

#9 ·
You have to be sympathetic to their business model. If you can recover your data using their trial software, then you would have no need to buy their product.
If you are serious about recovering your data, and it cannot be read by plugging the hard drive into an enclosure/HD Dock/USB to SATA interface, then you might want to investigate professional data recovery services. Most have a fixed rate and will not charge anything if they can't recover anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.