Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Share monitors?

794 views 24 replies 5 participants last post by  cyberpac9 
#1 ·
My desktop has 2 monitors, and I also have a laptop with a docking station I use for work. What I'd like to do is be able to use both monitors for my pc and when the need arises switch over and have the monitors work with the docking station. I know a little about KVM switch, but not sure if it does what I'd like. Is there a way to use 2 monitors for my computer and switch them over to the docking station?

#2 ·
#3 ·
Many (most?) monitors have the ability to switch between inputs. So, you could have both the desktop and laptop connected to the monitor(s) (assuming the monitors have multiple inputs of the correct type) and simply use the monitors to switch between inputs.

#7 ·
You might be looking at spending over $50 and possibly $100 to switch two DVI-D monitors between two dual output sources. I found some 2 in x 1 out switches for under $20, but they had a good portion of poor reviews.

#9 ·
You start shopping around, checking prices and reading reviews. Let me give you two to get started. Please note that I am not recommending any specific, brand, model, or seller.

Here is a link to one switch box for under $20. You would need one for each monitor. 22% of reviewers gave it one star and mentioned various problems

https://www.amazon.com/Manual-Switcher-Selector-Monitor-1920X1080/dp/B07489JJHF

Here is a link to one with better reviews. You would still need two at $34.49 each.

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=4069

#12 ·
Most monitors with multiple inputs have a way to select which input you want to use.

As you are dealing with VGA and DVI, there are DVI<>VGA adapters (ie: https://www.amazon.com/StarTech-DVI-Cable-Adapter-DVIVGAMF/dp/B004G3WCLM?th=1 ) which used to be provided free with monitors and video cards. I lost count of how many I've thrown away and I still have a few in my parts bin.

Connect one computer to "input 1" and the other to "input 2" of each monitor. If only one computer is on at a time, you won't even have to select the input, it will adjust automatically. Otherwise, simply select the input required on each monitor.

#13 ·
"
As you are dealing with VGA and DVI, there are DVI<>VGA adapters (ie: https://www.amazon.com/StarTech-DVI-Cable-Adapter-DVIVGAMF/dp/B004G3WCLM?th=1 ) which used to be provided free with monitors and video cards. I lost count of how many I've thrown away and I still have a few in my parts bin.
The product description in the link includes, "DVI-I to VGA Converter Adapter". The product will only work with a DVI-I video source as that would include analog video signals Based on the price, I would guess that the adapter merely passes the digital sync and analog video signals from the DVI-I end to the correct pins on the VGA end and does nothing with the digital video signals. We have previously established that cyberpac9 is dealing with DVI-D cabling only.

Exactly what DVI version cables are being used (DVI-D or DVI-I, Single or dual-link, DVI-A)?
-D single
The adapter would only work to drive the VGA inputs of the monitors if at least one of the video sources had DVI-I or DVI-A outputs along with a second DVI-D or DVI-I output.

#14 ·
"

The product description in the link includes, "DVI-I to VGA Converter Adapter". The product will only work with a DVI-I video source as that would include analog video signals Based on the price, I would guess that the adapter merely passes the digital sync and analog video signals from the DVI-I end to the correct pins on the VGA end and does nothing with the digital video signals. We have previously established that cyberpac9 is dealing with DVI-D cabling only.

The adapter would only work to drive the VGA inputs of the monitors if at least one of the video sources had DVI-I or DVI-A outputs along with a second DVI-D or DVI-I output.
OK, I guess this is where you lost me. My monitors are both DVI-D and VGA. Are you saying these adapters will not work using the DVI cables?

#15 ·
I was saying that the adapter would not work with the specific DVI cables that you were currently using. In post #6 you stated your DVI cables were the -D Single Link version. They do not have the ability to pass any kind of analog video to the DVI-I to VGA adapter even if the source was DVI-I.

Let's back up a little bit. With the right set of outputs on the laptop's dock and desktop computer and the right cables and adapters, there is a possibility that Jim's suggestion of doing the source switching on each monitor could work and no separate switch box would be needed.

Exactly what are all of the video output ports available on the laptop dock?

Exactly what are the two video output ports on the desktop computer that you are currently using with the two monitors? Are there any other video output ports on the desktop computer?

#17 ·
@cwwozniak... the docking station have a VGA connection and a DVI connection.
If the docking station has a DVI-I receptacle, using some type of DVI-I plug to VGA plug cable and adapter combination should allow you to use the monitors' VGA-DVI input selection methods proposed by Oddba11. Selecting DVI inputs would show the desktop's video and selecting VGA inputs would show the laptop's video.

#18 ·
If the docking station has a DVI-I receptacle, using some type of DVI-I plug to VGA plug cable and adapter combination should allow you to use the monitors' VGA-DVI input selection methods proposed by Oddba11. Selecting DVI inputs would show the desktop's video and selecting VGA inputs would show the laptop's video.
I'm not trying to be dense, I'm more of a software guy, but when you say "some type of DVI-I plug to VGA plug and adapter combo" I'm not sure what to be looking for. I've never used my monitor to select inputs, and not exactly sure how to go about that.

#21 ·
I've never used my monitor to select inputs, and not exactly sure how to go about that.
I don't know what monitors you are using, but one of mine (an Asus) has a dedicated button to select the input (DVI, HDMI, etc.) and the other (a Viewsonic) I need to enter a menu and choose "Input" and select which input I wish to use. Check and see what your button/menu options are or check the manual. If you don't still have it (who saves these things?), you can look online for your make/model.
Often the input is automatically selected based on whatever is active, but you should be able to manually select an input as well. As I mentioned, one of my monitors is an easy selection process, the other involves a few extra steps.

#19 ·
Forgive me, I am trying to picture what you have and I wanted to make sure that I get this right.

The PC has the 2 monitors.
The laptop is connected to the dock, and the dock has the basic keyboard, mouse, I assume Ethernet?, but no monitors connected...
You want to use both monitors when you are on either PC or laptop

I don't know if this setup would work. I think the inputs would be treated as individual inputs and not allow to have 2 inputs on at the same time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.