Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Can this Hard drive's data be recovered?

Solved 
656 views 15 replies 5 participants last post by  lynx1021 
#1 ·
Ok guys. Got a head scratcher for ya

So I was cleaning out the tower today, it was filthy. Tried to restart it. It would not go. Ended up removing everything. (it got a really good cleaning then).. And when I took the Data cable off the Storage hard drive, the plastic piece that sits over the connectors, came off with the cable! never had this happen before.

Someone tell me please, how do I recover the data on the Drive. It was working before that plastic piece came off. The pins are still in place. Is it possible to replace that plastic part? This has never happened to me before in all of my time on computers since the first tandys came out in the late 80's.. See the 6 tabs sticking out? There should be a L shaped plastic piece over the top of them on the right side of them.

See less See more
#2 ·
Oouucchh!

No, I've not found/heard of being able to replace that. I think it's part of the drive itself and it broke off.

I had this happen to a buddy of mine. I was lucky enough to get the data off of it. I just slid the cable with plastic cover still attached back into it's port location and got it to boot. Then we saved everything he wanted and then replaced the drive. Like I said, 'we got lucky".....very lucky.

NOTE:
Those cable are not meant to just be grabbed and pulled on. There is a release mechanism on there, you have to squeeze the head and then pull. Some have the locking latch, the metal clip.

#3 ·
Oouucchh!

No, I've not found/heard of being able to replace that. I think it's part of the drive itself and it broke off.

I had this happen to a buddy of mine. I was lucky enough to get the data off of it. I just slid the cable with plastic cover still attached back into it's port location and got it to boot. Then we saved everything he wanted and then replaced the drive. Like I said, 'we got lucky".....very lucky.

NOTE:
Those cable are not meant to just be grabbed and pulled on. There is a release mechanism on there, you have to squeeze the head and then pull. Some have the locking latch, the metal clip.
I just reached down and took it off like I would any other time. Unfortunately it broke evenly on the back side.

Now I tried using a Startech USB 3.0 to SATA HD/SD cable, but my computer would not recognize the drive on the USB side.. as its a 1 TB HD.

I am praying someone knows how to get this thing to work just one more time so that like you, I can read the data off it to save it..

#4 ·
What make and model is the damaged hard drive ? Post a picture of the top of it if you like.

Do you still have the plastic piece that broke off ? A picture of that could help too.

#5 ·
No and yes.. No, its lost, but yes its somewhere in the house here.. probably in the small trash can that I would have to pick apart.. dunno.. But here are 2 more pics of the drive.. Its the L shaped piece that the SATA cable goes on. Looks just like the one to the right of it, (which is the power connection), only shorter.

#6 ·
If I can get this thing to read one more time, I can recover the data.. Thought of maybe finding another drive like that and swamping out the boards? is that possible?

I just ordered new Solid state drives for the computer.. This old windows 7 system is getting more and more outdated.. still works great, but they just don't make stuff for these older systems anymore.

#11 ·
everything seems to be going to Solid State drives now, and of course, windows 10 drivers/OS. I don't like the privacy issues with W10 so trying to stay with my Win7 as long as possible. But, Don't know if this old Mother board will handle the newer drives.. it hardly handles a 1Tb drive. Which is what this was.

IF I get it running, I gotta delete a bunch of stuff off of it before trying to back it up..

#12 ·
Place the cable on the pins. Pack JB Weld around the cable and let dry. Note you may have to support the cable while it is drying. Let it dry for at least 30min before doing anything. Instructions for mixing will be on the package; pretty easy just use equal amounts and mix then apply.

#14 ·
Ok guys, ya did it! Yesterday I used a small piece of plastic that I cut into a small rectangle. I then jb welded it to the USB cord then to the drive. I just finished backing up all the data on that drive.
WOW..

Got a new drive on the way. when it gets here I will plug this one in again and transfer all of its data to the new drive, then I am going to scrap it.

Got lucky with this one.. Thanks!

#16 ·
I pulled a SATA cable from my motherboard connection and forgot it was the clip release type ( a bunch of other cables had it hidden) an it pulled the whole plastic connector off the board! Now just have metal connectors sticking up for that port. System still works.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.