Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Task manager shows Disk to be at 100% at less than 30mb/s

Solved 
791 views 17 replies 5 participants last post by  lynx1021 
#1 ·
Can somebody help? PC appears to slow down owing to this. The total transfer rate is lower than 30mb/s when this happens.

#2 ·
Can you provide more information on your system? I Presume windows 10.
Try running CrystalDiskInfo to get a report from your hard drive's Smart Status.
Run "Resource Monitor" for a second opinion. It should show you what process is using all your disk bandwidth.

And I always say: Run ADWCleaner (fast and free) to root out any malware that may be causing your issue

#6 ·
How did you rule out the possibility of Malware?
Since you have identified your antivirus as one of the things hammering your disk, perhaps you could share with us which antivirus it is that you are using.
Is the antivirus activity scanning the disk when you are noting high disk usage? That would be normal and you would just need to wait for it to finish.
If that is not the case, then you could try uninstalling the AV program and see if that makes the issue go away. If you are running windows 10, then windows defender will kick in after the uninstall and reboot. It will do an inital scan of the drive, so ou will have to wait for it to finish as well.

#7 ·
How did you rule out the possibility of Malware?
Since you have identified your antivirus as one of the things hammering your disk, perhaps you could share with us which antivirus it is that you are using.
Is the antivirus activity scanning the disk when you are noting high disk usage? That would be normal and you would just need to wait for it to finish.
If that is not the case, then you could try uninstalling the AV program and see if that makes the issue go away. If you are running windows 10, then windows defender will kick in after the uninstall and reboot. It will do an inital scan of the drive, so ou will have to wait for it to finish as well.[/
I use bitdefender as my AV software. It doesn't appear to be that much of a hammering. I'm attaching an image of my taskmanager with this. I really don't want to uninstall my AV.
And I ruled out malware using ADW :)

Attachments

#8 ·
How long have you let BD do it's thing?
Is your hard drive full of stuff or is your system mostly pristine?
My suggestion to uninstall BD would be for the purpose of testing. If the issue goes away after you uninstall it, then you know what is causing your problem and can contact BD support.
Does it take a long time to Uninstall & Reinstall?
Also, check your windows update status. If windows is in the middle of downloading or installing an update, then it will often drag down the system.

#15 ·
How long have you let BD do it's thing?
Is your hard drive full of stuff or is your system mostly pristine?
My suggestion to uninstall BD would be for the purpose of testing. If the issue goes away after you uninstall it, then you know what is causing your problem and can contact BD support.
Does it take a long time to Uninstall & Reinstall?
Also, check your windows update status. If windows is in the middle of downloading or installing an update, then it will often drag down the system.
My Disk has considerable space. Sometimes there may be a windows update going on and sometimes not, but it still lags. So now I'm starting to think that uninstalling BD might solve the problem.

#17 ·
I have no experience with BD myself , although "Bitdefender Antivirus Plus 2020" does rank as the #1 pick at www.techradar.com/best/best-antivirus.
The review does note that it is "Resource Hungry"
Let us know the results of the test and don't forget to mark the thread solved when it is time.
It is resource hungry. I uninstalled it and the there seems to be a slight difference in speed. But the disk is still overused. I think its time I changed it.

#18 ·
Your hard drive has almost 3 years of hours on it, I have bit defender free on my Windows 8.1 laptop , I chose it because it was suppose to be the least demanding resource hog and my laptop was slow anyway. I have since cloned the hard drive to a SSD and now it is very fast. If you change your drive please consider getting an SSD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.