Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

"System Recovery Options" Does not open

2K views 15 replies 6 participants last post by  Couriant 
#1 ·
Hello! I have an older Dell Alienware 17x running windows 7 from factory. It runs "ok", but it's getting very slow, and 900GB is full even after I removed all of my files, so software files are totally bogging it down. Long story short, I've decided I'd like to do a factory reset and start fresh. All instructions I can find online for booting the Alienware/Dell factory ISO say to press "F8" on boot to get to "Advanced Boot Options" then to select "Repair Your Computer".

From there, they ALL say that "System Recovery Options" menu will open. Issue is it DOES NOT. From F8->"Advanced Boot Options"->"Repair Your Computer" I get a screen that says "Loading Windows Files" with a loading bar. Once the loading bar completes, I am at the login screen, and from there the computer starts as normal. No "System Recovery Options" menu ever opens. How can I access the "System Recovery Options" OR otherwise boot from the factory ISO?

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.4
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4910MQ CPU @ 2.90GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 60 Stepping 3
Processor Count: 8
RAM: 16311 Mb
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 880M, -1 Mb
Hard Drives: C: 921 GB (257 GB Free); D: 10 GB (10 GB Free);
Motherboard: Alienware, 04WT2G
Antivirus: None

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
I suggest that we circumvent diagnosing and repairing the issue, and we just upgrade to Windows 10 - which you'll need to do in the next few weeks anyway: -

You have a few weeks or so left before you hit the deadline at which you should have upgraded to Windows 10 and/or stop using Windows 7; because Windows 7 will become obsolete and I guarantee you will get huge problems before 2020 is out.

Really - the hackers and scammers are waiting for people who don't bother to upgrade and are still using Windows 7, and they'll have a field day with them: Emptying their bank accounts & stealing their identities.

If you really want to be hacked and robbed then we'll do our best to make sure it's able to happen for you. - Otherwise, here's a guide to upgrading your PC: -

Oh and get yourself an antivirus. - Kaspersky Free Antivirus will cost you nothing if you don't like Windows Defender. If you think you're too smart to pick up an infection then either you're about to discover that you're wrong, or you're already infected and aren't aware of it.

#3 ·
If you really want to be hacked and robbed then we'll do our best to make sure it's able to happen for you.
We will do nothing of the sort. You do not speak on behalf of this web site so please stop making such statements. I do speak on behalf of the site and we will help the user restore Windows 7 if that's what they want or upgrade to Windows 10 if that's what they want. There are still 3 months to go before extended support ends not just a few weeks. We are still helping users who have Windows XP and even 2000 and before. I agree that it's not wise to run an unsupported operating system but many are doing so successfully by making sure they have security software installed and being careful how they surf the web. It's fine to inform them of the end of support life of an operating system but beyond that, in the long run, it's their choice.

#5 ·
Shazzalive,

Your last post with additional edit has been deleted for being argumentative and this behaviour has earned you an additional infraction bringing the total to 5 points for a 3-day temporary banning of your account.

I suggest you read the rules over during that time to see what is and isn't acceptable behaviour on the public forums.

#6 ·
Slowness can be cause by a myriad of things: Not doing a clean install of Windows once in a while, hardware showing its age, hardware failure, software processes not working correctly. If you haven't done a clean install for some time or since you got the computer, I would recommend that, providing Dell has supplied Windows 10 drivers for your computer.

If you are not able to find the service tag (or express code, that can work too), you can use Command Prompt and type wmic bios get serialnumber and press enter to get the service tag.

What @Shazzalive i believe was implying is that Windows 7 support will end this year so there will be no more updates other than critical updates (which those will also end soon after) so upgrading to Windows 10 would be a good choice, providing your computer can handle it. It looks like you have 16GB memory and 8GB video and an i7 processor... i suspect you will be fine here.

As with any attempt, always back up your data on a different drive or cloud storage.

Once we get the service tag or express code, we can advised which drivers you will need in case Windows 7 (or Windows 10 if you go that route) does not have the correct driver for you after installation.

#7 ·
Hello all! Thanks all for the help. I will send the service tag once I get off work.

As for Shazzalive's "advice". I will stick with windows 7 for now and take my chances with my "bank information and the hackers". I actually do have an antivirus. The reason none is showing is because I removed it to do a clean install (in case the activation code didn't note that it had been removed). I have BitDefender 2019. What a rude and abrasive response.

As for the rest of you, thanks a lot for the help! I'll get back with that info in a few hours

#10 ·
Hello all!

My Service tag is: 9WT5J12
Express Service Code is:21574925462

I do not have a Windows 7 Install disk or activation code. Windows 7 came pre-loaded on this laptop. There is an Alienware Factory Reset ISO image and but I don't appear to be able to open "System Recovery Options" to access it (see original post). My restore partition appears to be intact as far as I can tell. Thanks again everyone for all the help! You all are amazing.

#12 ·
From the 'Alienware Factory Reset ISO image' you should be able to make a DVD or Usb stick and use it to do a clean install of 7.

A clean install means you delete all the partitions on the hard drive during the start of the install. You will lose everything on the hard drive so make backups of any data you want to keep and any keys for software you have paid for and want to use again.

You will need your Windows 7 key, which should be on a sticker on the laptop, if not there are several ways to find it using software :- https://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/153626-product-key-number-windows-7-find-see.html

I'm not sure if the specific drivers for your laptop are in that ISO so from the link if Frank's post #11 above you should get the Wireless or Ethernet driver then connect to the Internet and download the other drivers directly onto the laptop after you do the clean install.
Or download all the drivers first, your choice.

#13 ·
Before you do a clean install of Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit, download and save the primary drivers, then burn them to a recordable disc or copy them to a USB thumb drive.
After the clean install is finished, use that external media to install the drivers.

The primary drivers you need are:
Intel HM87 chipset 9.4.0.1017
Intel USB 3.0 extensible host controller 2.0.0.102
NVIDIA graphics 332.70
Realtek audio 6.0.1.7260
Qualcomm ethernet(LAN) 1.0.36.1067
Intel dual band wireless 17.0.6
Synaptics touchpad 16.3.8.62

Make sure to install the chipset and USB drivers before installing the other drivers.

----------------------------------------------------------------

#15 · (Edited)
See here for making a DVD or USB to install 7 from an ISO file :- https://appuals.com/steps-to-easily-burn-an-iso-to-a-cddvd-or-usb/

Ignore all the 'tips' to use Reimage !

Let me know if you want to proceed, there are some settings in Rufus that might need changing first.

Can you actually see an ISO file on the hard drive in your laptop ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.