Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pc restarts every time i try to play a game

670 views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  Blu_86 
#1 ·
My pc works perfect, I just built it and everything is going good except every time I try to play a game it runs for about 5 mins then my pc restarts. I looked it up and got no answers any help?

Pc Specs:
R7 2700x
5700xt
16gb corsair vengence
corsair cx750 watt psu

#2 ·
Lets cover some basics here:

What mobo do you have?
Did you install all your mobo drivers?
Did you install your GPU driver/software?
Do you have the 8 pin and 6 pin PCI power cable connected to your GPU?
Have you checked for a BIOS update?
What type of CPU cooler do you have installed?
Did you remove the clear plastic from bottom of cpu cooler?
Did you apply thermal paste?
What method did you use to apply thermal paste?

#3 ·
Lets cover some basics here:

What mobo do you have?
Did you install all your mobo drivers?
Did you install your GPU driver/software?
Do you have the 8 pin and 6 pin PCI power cable connected to your GPU?
Have you checked for a BIOS update?
What type of CPU cooler do you have installed?
Did you remove the clear plastic from bottom of cpu cooler?
Did you apply thermal paste?
What method did you use to apply thermal paste?
B450 Tomahawk
Yes
Yes
Yes
No
Cooler master 212 rgb black edition
Yes
Yes
Pea method

#4 ·
With your GPU....is there software for it to set your fan speed. I'm not sure how AMD works with your brand of GPU. With Nvidia and my brand EVGA there is software to download to setup the GPU.

There is a BIOS update for: Update AMD ComboPI1.0.0.3abba I'm not sure what that is.

What game or games is this happening with?

#7 ·
OK, I would NOT say this system works perfectly as per your first post.
Go to the support page for your motherboard;
https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/B450-TOMAHAWK#down-utility
Download and install command center. Once installed, post the following; cpu temp, 12V, 5V, and 3.3V values. My guess is the system is overheating however we shall see once you post the info. I would post this info twice; once while the system is idle and also while running a stress test ie prime95 or OCCT. Let the stress test run for at least 2min to stabilize temps and voltages.

#8 · (Edited)
Remember it would have to be 95c to even begin throttling and a 2700x comes with a cooler that typically keeps games around 65c at the most Hyper 212 Back is about 2-3c cooler but mostly the same. Stress testing with P95/OCCT is different because it will stress the cores to the max. If it were me I would test with any other GPU (if you can borrow one or if you have an older one) and if the game (or games) don't crash you have your answer. You can monitor temperatures via CPUZ or HW Monitor while gaming (or MSI Afterburner via OSD). I caution about getting all upset about this and downloading various tools posting screenshots just for your simple symptoms because it's likely something very simple like a GPU driver, or maybe you need to reseat power from your PSU to your GPU. It's not going to be your CPU temperatures while just gaming (trust me I know 20 year gamer here and very experienced hardware builder). If you installed your CPU right as well at the heatskink (no gaps not tilted in any way) it's going to run about 65-70c max in any game even the games that stress 6-8 cores like AC Unity - period. Prime 95 or OCCT is a different animal and you will nail 85-90c easy. You have something else going on like power (PSU) or GPU (or the GPU driver). That said like the above post denotes it definitely is possible that your +12v rail could be riding a little low and in that case definitely a screenshot of that rail while running a game (and static) will help. It's entirely possible that your PSU isn't handling the 5700XT right.

#9 · (Edited)
It is not game related; see this quote
Sometimes it restarts when I'm not playing games
It is actually not that hard to overheat a 2700X if PBO is enabled in the bios. I never use msi boards so I do not know if this option is enabled by default or not. If it is, I would disable and test. I call PBO overclocking for idiots. IMO it pushes vcore up WAY too high. Testing on my system [2700X with high end asrock board] I saw vcore as high as 1.65v during transitory spikes.

#10 ·
That is true very accurate and is especially so when installing a 3000 series Ryzen. I have built with 5 of them so far and since even if PBO is activated and tweaked you barely get more (if any) ghz with it enabled but yet regularly uses more voltage around 1.45v- near 1.5v and will spike as you say to 1.6v at times on some boards - high end premium boards ironically. I simply use default-auto settings with (and this is very important) windows balanced plan vs. any of the Ryzen power plans that keeps vcore 0.91v-1.412v max. Apparently - after some research I found out that there are important hooks-functions that windows balanced uses for the OS that Ryzen plans don't fully use. That coupled with using the newest chipset drivers seems to work well with Ryzen 3. PBO affects earlier Ryzen chips as you mentioned to the same degree more or less. I found that mobo and ram depending just a few simple tweaks is usually best along with using auto settings. SOC maybe raised a bit, procODT set around 60 ohm if having issues with memory not getting XMP above 3000 mhz. Maybe with a change in voltage for lesser boards. Sometimes with value memory kits setting manual 2400-2666 values really helps as was the case in another thread here. Really AMD could do away with PBO entirely on these Ryzen boards most will boost to near max clocks on auto. Ryzen is essentially a "boost" processor much the same as the I7 8700 non K where you get what you get. Even having XFR-PBO in the bios of AMD boards at all is unnecessary and confusing for the vast majority of users and also leads to excessively stupid voltage and instability when all that's needed is a few clicks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.