Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Internet Sharing Problem

812 views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  TerryNet 
#1 ·
Hello!

So, i have recently bought a new desktop (windows 10), and to make it accessible to the internet, i tried to share my old laptop's (windows 8) wifi connection, via an ethernet cable connected with my desktop (my router is actually far from where i have installed my desktop).

In the beggining, after a short period of not working, i tried to uncheck and check the wifi's "Sharing" option multiple times, hoping to be just a bug, and suddenly it started functioning for more than 2 weeks... Yesterday, without a specific reason, it suddenly stopped functioning...

The check-uncheck method didn't change a thing, one of my friends, having a pc engineering degree, told me to put the ipv4 configuration (and dns also) to automatic, to all of my adaptors (wifi and ethernet), but this had no effect. I ran the windows trouble program, and it said that my ethernet adapter had wrong ip configuration...

Later on, i tried the ipconfig/release,renew,flushdns and it actually made my pc accessible to network but unable to connect to the internet (dns error), and trying to solve that problem with the registerdns command, i returned to the initial problem of the previous paragraph...

I will surely buy a new wifi adapter to put in my desktop in the close future, but can you please help me to find a solution in this matter? Thank you very much in advance!

See less See more
#2 ·
Unless you have a real need to isolate the desktop from the rest of your network I suggest that you forget about the sharing option. Get out of that, set "everything" to dynamic (Dhcp), go into Network Connections on the laptop, select the wireless and ethernet connections, and right click on one of them and select 'Bridge connections.'

#4 ·
i tried bridging the two connections also, but it didnt work....
If "didnt work" means that the desktop was assigned the same IP address as the laptop it is a router bug. Make sure you have the latest firmware for the router. If that still results in duplicate IP then you either will need a new router or use a static IP address on the desktop.

If "didn't work" means something else I have no clue what you mean nor, of course, any fix.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.