Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

"VpShellRes.dll could not be found"

10K views 25 replies 5 participants last post by  weequahic 
#1 · (Edited)
Since 10/20/19, "VpShellRes.dll could not be found" pops up whenever/wherever I right-click. There's said to be an antivirus connection.

My Symantec Endpoint Protection was inadvertently uninstalled (I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer) but that was after, not before, the pop-ups began. My Norton antivirus and updates say everything's okay.
================================

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.4
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3470 CPU @ 3.20GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 58 Stepping 9
Processor Count: 4
RAM: 3917 Mb
Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics, 1830 Mb
Hard Drives: C: 464 GB (375 GB Free);
Motherboard: LENOVO,
Antivirus: Symantec Endpoint Protection, Disabled

#3 · (Edited)
Sorry 'bout the title; fixed it. The detail is just that pop-up, 2 days now, when try to right-click: "VpShellRes.dll could not be found"
The rest of the computer has been behaving itself, it seems.

But--

But my English--my native language!--isn't always clear. I meant to say the Error came first. My misguided uninstalling of the SEP came later, didn't cause the Error. Don't know if it's significant or not, but what's below could be misleading:

Error "VPShellRes.dll could not be found" after uninstalling Symantec Endpoint Protection 11.0
TECH153712
Last Updated April 06, 2012

After uninstalling Symantec Endpoint Protection (SEP) 11.0, right clicking any file generates "VPShellRes.dll could not be found"
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#5 ·
My English--my native language!--isn't always clear. The misguided uninstalling of the SEP came later, didn't cause the Error. Don't know if it's significant or not, but what's below could be misleading:

Error "VPShellRes.dll could not be found" after uninstalling Symantec Endpoint Protection 11.0
TECH153712
Last Updated April 06, 2012

After uninstalling Symantec Endpoint Protection (SEP) 11.0, right clicking any file generates "VPShellRes.dll could not be found"
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#6 ·
OK, so what it looks like is that when you right click on a file, there would be an option for Endpoint to scan the file. Since you have removed Endpoint, the error occurs because the right click menu thinks there is something for Endpoint, but it is actually gone, so it will throw the error each time.

Plodr's link shows you how to remove the information from the registry. Please follow those instructions to remove and see if that helps.

#7 · (Edited)
----
No problem, the instructions only *look* confusing. But I'm bothered by the fact that the error notifications began to appear sporadically a few weeks *before* I screwed up on the SEP, became constant a few days ago. Was then told I could solve it by using Control Panel to easily uninstall, then reinstall, the SEP. (There'd been no hint till then of a SEP problem, even after renewing the Norton antivirus.) The uninstall went well, but there was no provision for the easy reinstall.

#9 ·
Now this is very interesting. Just noticed: After some judicious System Restore skipping about, I no longer get that VpShellRes pop-up when I right-click. Now, when I right-click, I get the left-click menu. Guess I'd better get to work on those changes to the registry. Regardless.

#11 · (Edited)
Sorry. I meant the submenu of options you might get when you click on an item in the menu bar. Wrote "left-click" to distinguish it from "right-click"--didn't realize "click" already means "left-click."

My WORD 2013 spreads the submenu options all over the place, but the WORD 97 I've been using successfully (till last week) still has those neat one-column submenus. My 97 has at least two good examples: when you click File, and Edit. Can't think of good right-click examples right now..

In the area I'm concerned about (lists of files), the options in clicked and right-clicked submenus seemed nearly the same, except for the one(s) at the top of the column(s). The clicked one has OPEN (this file). The right-clicked one, no longer available, has SELECT (this file, transmit it to your publisher). Since I don't have much to transmit right now, I'm not yet nervous about not being able to.

Didn't mean to take up your time. Trying to organize my thoughts.

#12 ·
Don't worry about taking up my time. I'm in my 70's and volunteer here to help people solve computer problems. I have more time to search than younger people with jobs and families.

If your Word 2013 looks like Figure A here
https://www.techrepublic.com/blog/w...things-i-do-to-default-settings-in-word-2013/
that's normal.
Since this is what Word 97 looked like
Rectangle Font Parallel Electronic device Screenshot

It is quite a change.
Since Word 2007, MS has different tabs and each tab shows a different toolbar. MS called them ribbons.

This might get you started on what all those things do
https://www.dummies.com/software/microsoft-office/word/word-2013-for-dummies-cheat-sheet/

I installed Office 2007 on my computer and had my husband look at it. He hated it and told me to keep Office 2003 on his computer. He does more work with Office than I do. I usually test out the programs on my computer then get him to try it to see if he wants it.

Here is a pdf from a workshop on Word 2013 that you can download. It is 38 pages and might help you get around in the new program.
Code:
https://www.technology.pitt.edu/sites/default/files/documents/migrated/Training/Microsoft%20Word%202013%20Fundamentals%20Manual.pdf
Paste the url into your browser and the pdf should download.

Here's a much larger ebook, if you have time to read.
Code:
https://www.farmingdaleschools.org/site/handlers/filedownload.ashx?moduleinstanceid=15816&dataid=6268&FileName=StepByStep_wor.pdf

#13 ·
Thanks, it'll take a while to absorb all that.

I was put off a bit, back when I first saw that busy Word 97 screen, till I realized (or Ms. Branco's Manual taught me) that everything I needed to do could be done through the menu bar, didn't really need those two easily removed bars below it. Those bars didn't provide a constant service to the typist, most of the time were a distraction that wasted valuable screen space. Besides, their real purpose seemed just to give folks a chance to play with their mouse.

Another useful thing about my menu-bar-centered 97: it allowed (as did the various WordPerfects of the time) this clumsy kid, by then a grownup, to finally accomplish something with his fingers. (Zipping through all those shortcut keys, etc.)

I'll report back.

#15 ·
Truthfully, I don't ask around. (I was born in '47 so I'm no spring chicken. :whistle: ) Most places will want to charge you for their expertise. Some places are not real good either. They'll give you wrong information. It just isn't worth it. Feel free to hang around here and ask questions. We have a great group of volunteers happy to help answer questions and solve problems.

I make images. If something goes wrong, I find it easier to restore my latest image and just update a few things. My images have saved my bacon on almost every computer in the house.

When you say you uninstalled through the Control Panel, that is probably when the problem started. Unfortunately removing programs through there doesn't remove all the gunk in the registry. Security Programs are especially hard to remove correctly because they become entrenched in the system.
I completely understand why you are afraid to do anything in the registry. That's fine. We'll try something else.

Most security programs have a removal tool. I looked at Norton's site and it appears more complicated than I think it needs to be.
I trust the BleepingComputer site so it is safe to download the link on this site (either download button is fine).
https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/norton-removal-tool/

1. Download the removal tool but don't run it yet.
2. Open Task manager and make sure processes are showing for All users.
3. Carefully examine the processes and if you see anything Symantec or Norton, end that process.
4. When you are sure nothing from Norton/Symantec is in the processes list, close the Task Manager.
5. Now run the Removal Tool you downloaded in step 1.
6. Reboot the computer and hope the problem is solved.

If it is solved, you should be able to now download what you previously had installed and you paid for.

FYI: I don't remove anything through the Control Panel. I use one of 2 programs, both free: Revo Uninstaller and Geek Uninstaller.
https://www.majorgeeks.com/content/...r.im&utm_medium=no_referer&utm_campaign=tr.im

https://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/revo_uninstaller.html

https://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/geekuninstaller.html

#16 · (Edited)
Truthfully, I don't ask around. (I was born in '47 so I'm no spring chicken. :whistle: ) Most places will want to charge you for their expertise. Some places are not real good either. They'll give you wrong information. It just isn't worth it. Feel free to hang around here and ask questions. We have a great group of volunteers happy to help answer questions and solve problems.

I make images. If something goes wrong, I find it easier to restore my latest image and just update a few things. My images have saved my bacon on almost every computer in the house.

When you say you uninstalled through the Control Panel, that is probably when the problem started. Unfortunately removing programs through there doesn't remove all the gunk in the registry. Security Programs are especially hard to remove correctly because they become entrenched in the system.
I completely understand why you are afraid to do anything in the registry. That's fine. We'll try something else.

Most security programs have a removal tool. I looked at Norton's site and it appears more complicated than I think it needs to be.
I trust the BleepingComputer site so it is safe to download the link on this site (either download button is fine).
https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/norton-removal-tool/

1. Download the removal tool but don't run it yet.
2. Open Task manager and make sure processes are showing for All users.
3. Carefully examine the processes and if you see anything Symantec or Norton, end that process.
4. When you are sure nothing from Norton/Symantec is in the processes list, close the Task Manager.
5. Now run the Removal Tool you downloaded in step 1.
6. Reboot the computer and hope the problem is solved.

If it is solved, you should be able to now download what you previously had installed and you paid for.

FYI: I don't remove anything through the Control Panel. I use one of 2 programs, both free: Revo Uninstaller and Geek Uninstaller.
https://www.majorgeeks.com/content/...r.im&utm_medium=no_referer&utm_campaign=tr.im

https://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/revo_uninstaller.html

https://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/geekuninstaller.html
Ok, did steps 1 and 2, and sized things up for ending all those Norton/Symantec items.
But Lenovo (or just ThinkCentre) gives no hints on backups/images of Task Manager. Their thing seems to be whole system backups, nothing smaller. Not that I'd really need that backup (he said).
LATER:
Under Task Manager's "All Users" the only Symantec items are 2 copies of NortonSecurity.exe, one with my name as user, the other with SYSTEM. For both I was told, "Unable to terminate process . . . Access denied," because "it might result in an unstable system."

#17 · (Edited)
Using Task Manager has nothing to do with images.

In this case it's used to close any running parts of Norton/Symantec software before you run the removal tool, which can't remove anything that's already running.

Also please type your reply in the area at the bottom of the page, if you click on the Reply button under this or other posts it quotes the post you're replying to.

#18 ·
Using Task Manager has nothing to do with images.

In this case it's used to close any running parts of Norton/Symantec software before you run the removal tool, which can't removing anything that's already running.

Also please type your reply in the area at the bottom of the page, if you click on the Reply button under this or other posts it quotes the post you're replying to.
Done. Also: Under Task Manager's All Users the only Symantec items are 2 copies of NortonSecurity.exe, one with my name as user, the other with SYSTEM. For both I was told, "Unable to terminate process . . . Access denied," because "it might result in an unstable system."

#19 ·
Unfortunately, I can't find anything when I search for end NortonSecurity.exe , kill NortonSecurity.exe, end NortonSecurity.exe and disable NortonSecurity.exe.

1. Type
Code:
msconfig
in the search/run box when you click on the orb at the lower left of your taskbar.
2. You can either press enter or go up to msconfig.exe and click it with the mouse.
3. When the box appears, click on the Services tab.
4. In the lower left select Hide all Microsoft services.
You'll get something like this
Rectangle Font Screenshot Parallel Software

Do you see Norton in there?

#20 · (Edited)
Unfortunately, I can't find anything when I search for end NortonSecurity.exe , kill NortonSecurity.exe, end NortonSecurity.exe and disable NortonSecurity.exe.

1. Type
Code:
msconfig
in the search/run box when you click on the orb at the lower left of your taskbar.
2. You can either press enter or go up to msconfig.exe and click it with the mouse.
3. When the box appears, click on the Services tab.
4. In the lower left select Hide all Microsoft services.
You'll get something like this
View attachment 272581

Do you see Norton in there?
No "View attachment . . ." came up, but after Hide all Microsoft, saw among the checked items:
Symantec network access control: Stopped
Norton Security: Running
and McAfee: still Running, even though Norton Antivirus said it would stop/delete/get rid of it (I clicked ok) because Symantec and McAfee don't get along.
WAIT--
"View Attachment 278581" did come up, led to the System Configuration box, which included only: MalwareBytes Service: Running. No Norton. But that System Config box won't go away. Had to minimize it to get it out of sight.

#21 ·
As you appear to have the remains of two antivirus programs hanging around, you might be interested in using a tool provided by a third AV company, Eset, to get rid of everything: https://support.eset.com/kb146/

I haven't used this tool myself, (although I do use Eset Internet Security) so if you do decide to try their remover, you might want to think about creating a Restore Point first!

#23 ·
As I indicated previously, I haven't actually used this tool myself, so you will need to read all the instructions carefully before trying it. I assume that you would be advised to download the tool and then take the computer offline before you ran the Eset uninstaller. You should also have the installation file for whichever AV program you propose to use in future downloaded and ready to install, always assuming that the Eset remover does what it claims!

To create a Restore point in Windows 7 click on 'Start' then 'Control Panel' followed by 'System Protection'. When you do that, a little menu box should appear and the option to create a restore point is the last one at the bottom of the box. You will need to choose a name for the restore point, if it were me I would use something simple like "before Eset" but the RP will automatically be dated and timed so there shouldn't be much chance of confusion if it became necessary to use it.

#25 ·
weequahic,

If you are still monitoring this thread, could you take a minute to let us know how things turned out?

If your problem was, in fact, due to having residues of more than one AV program still installed, did the Eset removal tool work as it claimed or was the problem fixed in some other way?

It's just possible that someone else having the same or similar problem to you could benefit from knowing how it was resolved.

#26 · (Edited)
weequahic,

If you are still monitoring this thread, could you take a minute to let us know how things turned out?

If your problem was, in fact, due to having residues of more than one AV program still installed, did the Eset removal tool work as it claimed or was the problem fixed in some other way?

It's just possible that someone else having the same or similar problem to you could benefit from knowing how it was resolved.
Haven't done anything yet, mostly because the computer gods gave me a waiver:

My original complaint was the "VpShellRes.dll" popup whenever I right-clicked on a filename in MyDocuments and elsewhere, which kept me from accessing the right-click submenu. Then I'd click "OK" to get rid of the popup and be back where I started from.

After a week or so, the problem morphed into: After clicking "OK" to get rid of the popup, the file I'd clicked would open (not what I wanted) or I'd be given (if there was one) the (left-)click submenu (not what I wanted). Still no access to the right-click submenu.

After another week or so, the problem morphed into: After clicking "OK" to get rid of the popup, I was given the right-click submenu I'd been trying for. I used it to successfully transmit files to potential publishers and others who don't accept email attachments. So why complain?

There's still, technically, a problem, but since it's now working for, not against me, I'll wait a while. . .

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.