Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bad System Config Info

912 views 14 replies 3 participants last post by  Couriant 
#1 ·
I have a Dell Inspiron with Windows 10. When I try to boot, I get a Stop Code: Bad System Config Info. I tried reboot, restore,reset startup, safe mode , command prompt using YouTube suggestions, but nothing helps. HELP.

#4 · (Edited)
#12 ·
Try flashing the Bios. You will need a Usb key and a working computer.

First download this file :- https://dl.dell.com/FOLDER05078312M/1/Inspiron 660 Vostro 270 BIOS A13.exe

Then do the following :-
  1. Plug the USB key into the working PC.
  2. Press the Windows key + E to open File Explorer (also known as Windows Explorer).
  3. Right-click on the USB drive and click Format.
  4. Change the File system to FAT32.
  5. Check the box next to Quick Format.
6. Click Start to begin formatting the USB key.

7. Right-click the Bios file then click on Rename
then type BIOS_IMG.rcv then press delete 4x to remove the .exe from the end.

8. Copy the BIOS file to the USB key
Then do this :-
  1. Start the computer.
  2. Press and hold the CTRL key + ESC key on the keyboard until the BIOS Recovery page appears.
  3. On the BIOS Recovery screen, select Reset NVRAM (if available) and press the Enter key. Select Disabled and press the Enter key if you wish to save the current BIOS settings.
  4. Select Recover BIOS and press the Enter key to start the recovery process.

Note: Your Dell PC may restart a few times during the process of BIOS recovery.
Hopefully the above will fix it.

Source :- https://www.dell.com/support/articl...y-options-on-a-dell-pc-or-tablet?lang=en#faqs

#13 · (Edited)
Usually Dell has the BIOS update under F12 on boot up. You shouldn't need to go through the hoops that Allan has notated... usually you put the exe file on an USB stick, go into F12 with stick in computer and then go to BIOS update. It should see it from there.

You keep mentioning Stop Code... is there a code? this sounds more of a windows thing and not bios/hardware.

Computer Personal computer Font Electric blue Multimedia

#14 ·
My previous post is the emergency Bios recovery, the quotes are from Dell, but I think you could be correct James and this could be a windows issue.

I didn't know about the F12 possibility for flashing the bios.

#15 · (Edited)
My previous post is the emergency Bios recovery, the quotes are from Dell, but I think you could be correct James and this could be a windows issue.

I didn't know about the F12 possibility for flashing the bios.
These are for newer computers (last 3-5 years). Some older models have to be done in Windows that I have seen.

I have been looking at this and I think you have a bad boot config. If nothing on this link doesn't work for you, then I'm afraid you will need to do a complete fresh install.

@Tommyob55 If you can provide the Serial Tag (it can be found on the bottom of the computer or in the BIOS) I can direct you to Dell's recovery tools.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.