Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Windows XP upgrade

Solved 
2K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  plodr 
#1 ·
I have an old ATX build computer that has an Asus P5GC-MX/1333 motherboard with a
2.2Ghz Intel Pentium Dual CPU E2200 Socket 775LGA and 3GB RAM running Windows XP 32 bit on a 120GB WD HDD and a 350W power supply.

The manual says that I can't upgrade the RAM (2 slots) higher than 3GB but, the motherboard is capable of 64 bit operation.

However, if I just re-format the hard drive and install a clean copy of Windows 7 home premium, activate the product key and then upgrade to Windows 10 home using the media creation tool, would be a better route.

My issue is with the limited RAM as I would like to install at least 4GB.

Would it be better if I just junk out the insides and install a completely new system, or try to upgrade it. YouTube videos suggests that it will take about 7 difficult steps to upgrade this XP system to Windows 10 Home.

Suggestions would be helpful. Thanks

#2 ·
Depends on what you intend to use the system for. If it is just for surfing and general office work, then it would suffice. I am using a Dual Core 2.3 Ghz with 4 GB of RAM. And I use it for the above mentioned purposes. I am happy with it.

Also I always try out the cheapest solution first.

Also, you can just install Win 10 Home directly without installing Win 7 first. Win 10 Setup will accept the Win 7 activation key directly.

#4 ·
Depends on what you intend to use the system for. If it is just for surfing and general office work, then it would suffice. I am using a Dual Core 2.3 Ghz with 4 GB of RAM. And I use it for the above mentioned purposes. I am happy with it.

Also I always try out the cheapest solution first.

Also, you can just install Win 10 Home directly without installing Win 7 first. Win 10 Setup will accept the Win 7 activation key directly.
Thank you Frank, for that information. It was helpful in helping me make my decision. I was hoping but, alas a complete upgrade (motherboard, CPU, ram, ssd drive, power supply, Win 10 Home) is in order. The case is still quite functional for an upgrade.

#3 ·
ASUS P5GC-MX/1333 Motherboard (support site)
It has 2 DIMM slots and supports a maximum of 4 GB(2 GB x 2) of DDR2 RAM.

Intel Pentium Dual Core E2200 2.20 GHz Processor
It has a very low benchmark score of 1203.

If you plan to do a clean install of Windows 7 64-bit, its processor and 4 GB of RAM should be able to run it decently.
And its integrated primary devices (chipset, graphics, audio, ethernet) should have Windows 7 64-bit drivers for them.

Forget about installing Windows 10 64-bit in that dinosaur.
It's too old and too slow, and it's unlikely that drivers are available for all of its primary devices.

---------------------------------------------------------------

#5 ·
You're welcome. :)

You should consider buying a newer and faster refurbished PC which comes with Windows 10 Home or Pro 64-bit already installed in it.
You can get a pretty decent one for $400 - $500.
I've bought nothing but refurbished for the past 8 - 9 years. (y)

-----------------------------------------------------------------

#7 ·
You're welcome. :)

You should consider buying a newer and faster refurbished PC which comes with Windows 10 Home or Pro 64-bit already installed in it.
You can get a pretty decent one for $400 - $500.
I've bought nothing but refurbished for the past 8 - 9 years. (y)

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Thanks Frank. I will consider doing that. I've never been a big fan of refurbished but, this is an option considering systems are not like they were in 2004.

#8 ·
Besides saving a lot of money buying refurbished instead of buying new, refurbished PC's don't come with all the useless garbage and bloatware that new PC's do.
I've bought more than 25 refurbished PC's in the past 8 - 9 years, and I've been happy with the vast majority of them.
(y)

---------------------------------------------------------------

#13 ·
I also have purchased refurbed computers from Newegg with good results.

And about your old computer, they still have usefulness with Linux.
Puppy is said to work well with older computers.

#14 ·
We have a MS certified refurbisher not too far from us. I bought a CRT (years ago), bought my husband a Windows 7 desktop (it came with XP but they gave me a genuine MS 7 DVD, the correct serial number and typed out instructions how to do the upgrade) and taken two sets of friends to buy refurbished desktop computers from this place.

If you buy from a good source, you do end up with a good computer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.