Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Boot Cycle on New CPU and new Motherboard

271 views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  managed 
#1 ·
I recently bought a new motherboard and CPU. After assembly, my PC would turn on fans spinning but gave no display signal to my monitor. After about 30 seconds the computer would turn off, then turn back on for another 30 seconds and get stuck in this loop. I'm running a GTX 1060 6gb and both fans spin when the pc turned on. No display
-Ryzen 7 2700x
-ASRock B450 Pro4

My RAM is GeIL EVO POTENZA 2x8gb DDr4 2400MHz.

Before the upgrade I had
-intel core i5 7600
-ASRock B250m-HDV

I took all the parts out of the case and plugged everything in outside the case and started it using the screwdriver method. The loop stopped but I'm still getting no display from my GTX 1060 6gb

Is this a problem with my CPU, Motherboard, or something else?

#2 · (Edited)
I do not of course know your experience
So do not be offended if the questions are too basic

1. I presume the graphics are connected to the card and NOT to the I/O port
2. The loop when the board is in the case suggests there may be a short of some manner
Are you sure motherboard stand offs are in correct places

ALSO are you sure system panel header connections are correct
MAY suggest that power and reset are wrong

Previous board is micro
Micro ATX Form Factor: 8.9-in x 7.2-in, 22.6 cm x 18.3 cm

New board is full ATX
ATX Form Factor: 12.0-in x 8.8-in, 30.5 cm x 22.4 cm

3. Is 8 pin 12 volt power connected on board

4. Re no display is 6pin connected to card

5. CPU is Pinnacle Ridge
IS ram in A2 B2 slots
common mistake to put ram in A1 B1

#3 ·
Im unsure of a type but assume you meant the graphics cable. The hdmi is plugged into my graphics card not the onboard slot.
Ive made sure of the headers being connected in the right place but will double check.
The 8 pin 12 volt is connected.
Ive tried different ram slots and even only using 1 stick. A2B2 didnt work and neither did A1B1.
How would i tell if my motherboard stand off are correct, and I am not getting a onboard speaker beep when i take the ram out completely.

#5 · (Edited)
How would i tell if my motherboard stand off are correct
There will be in the case stand off positions for the old micro board
These depending on the case will likely be similar to these
https://www.amazon.com/HanTof-Motherboard-Standoffs-Standoff-Computer/dp/B07MJFL7L7

The position of the stand offs MUST match the holes in the NEW board
You can be certain that the new board will mount in different positions to the old one.
The old one being micro form as I said and the new being full ATX

You should NOT have to do a BIOS update as that Pinnacle ridge CPU was supported from the first BIOS on that board.
It is unlikely you will get a straight load of the OS, as of course the drivers on the drive are for the old board and cpu but you should get a boot to post with an image on the screen

Re my colleagues question did you do a clean install AFTER upgrading CPU and board - I have presumed you did NOT as I read it that you have not yet got a post screen

#6 ·
You said you hear no beeps with no ram installed, are you sure there is a speaker/buzzer connected to the motherboard ? (They usually come with a case not with the motherboard).

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.