Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Those that are keeping Win7 after Jan2020 Question

953 views 7 replies 8 participants last post by  britekguy 
#1 ·
What security if any will you use to protect the system? I plan to keep windows 7 to run games. I don't plan to go to 10, but going to linx.

#2 ·
Microsoft Security Essentials (antivirus app)
and
Malwarebytes AdwCleaner
Malwarebytes Anti-Malware
SUPERAntiSpyware
(malware/spyware apps)
is what I currently use in Windows 7 SP1 64-bit.

Official support for it ends in January 2020, but unofficial support for it may extend until October 2021.
I will start testing it in February 2020 to confirm if it's true.

---------------------------------------------------------------

#3 ·
I boot Puppy linux from a flash drive.
I also have Win 10 Pro on a hard drive that resides in a slide in cage, positioned in an empty bay. It has an off/on switch.

With the switch off, Win 10 is isolated from the Internet.
With the bios set to boot first from the hard drive, and the switch in the off position, only the flash drive is seen as bootable.

With the switch on, the computer boots from the hard drive.

I've retained access to the Internet with Win 10.

My sister's old Win xp computer is set much the same way.
Since Win XP isn't secure on the internet, I disabled the network card in Windows so there would be no unintended connections. ( She uses Win XP for some old scientific apps that won't run on newer Windows. She doesn't need Win XP for an Internet connection, Puppy does all she needs and is relatively secure )

#4 ·
I'll be keeping my eye on this site,https://0patch.com/,patches after end of life for Windows 7 and I have Malwarebytes Premium which gives me a small measure of confidence that I will survive after Windows 7 is not supported by Microsoft.Time will tell,but if I start running into aggravating problems while using Windows 7 then I guess I will probably go to Win 10,but I really don't want to go that route if avoidable.

#5 ·
First I make images. If the computer appears to act weird, I'll restore the newest image.
Day to day protection: Malwarebytes- 5 lifetime licenses so it works in real time.
I won't be using Win 10.

I'll probably do more surfing on my 10.1" android tablet. IMO, android is a lot more user friendly than linux. There's a 2 page thread in another forum from a long time linux user trying to get Opera to install and give him icons he can click to launch it. I think he is using Linux Mint though I don't know what version. Me, I don't want to have to deal with packages, repositories and dependencies to install a browser.

I have 3 or 4 browsers installed on my android devices and it wasn't an issue to do it. If it were, I probably wouldn't own 4 android devices. I'd have stopped after the first one.

#6 ·
After having used Win10 the past several months (work computer was upgraded), it's not as bad as everyone makes it out to be.

My only real complaint, is that not everything is still in the same place. But there are a few (free) addons that you can install to make it look like Win7. I will be upgrading my main home PC, the other, which is basically just a media server, will remain Win7 only because I still use WMC on that box.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.