Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Will I lose my original Windows 10 Home 64-bit after manual

729 views 18 replies 6 participants last post by  Macboatmaster 
#1 ·
So, I'm using Windows 10 version 1511 for 3 years now. I'm not able to do automatic update as during the installation of the update it always crashes with a BSOD.
Now, I have downloaded Windows 10 November update ISO file from Microsoft's website.
Right now I have fully activated original Windows 10( it came with the laptop) . So after complete clean install of Windows 10 Home, will I lose my activation? Because I didn't got any serial key for Windows or anything when I purchased the laptop.
I really don't want to lose my original activated Windows.

#2 ·
No.

Any machine that has/had a licensed and activated Windows 10 installation on it at any time, even if it were to have been replaced by, say, Linux, can reinstall Windows 10 at any point in time without needing a new license key or even to know what their license key was.

Windows 10 license keys are stored on Microsoft's servers and are linked to a specific machine based upon its motherboard. A standard part of the installer's actions is to check the Microsoft server to see if a license already exists for that hardware and, if so, to fetch it. You should not even be prompted for a license key, but if you are, simply omit it and continue the installation.

#3 · (Edited)
Version 1511 is extremely outdated and is why you can't get it to update.
Replacing it with a clean install of Version 1903 is a good idea.

If your laptop came with Windows 10 Home, make sure to install Windows 10 Home and not Windows 10 Pro.
If you install Windows 10 Pro, it probably will not activate.

Where exactly did you download the Windows 10 ISO file from?
THIS is Microsoft's legitimate site where it can be obtained.
You need to download and save and then run the Media Creation Tool to create a bootable install DVD or USB thumb drive.

----------------------------------------------------------------

#4 ·
The Windows 10 installer will automatically detect what edition of Windows 10 is already installed on a machine or what version was licensed to it when it was previously installed, if it were to have been replaced by Linux or similar, and will reinstall that edition. There is not a separate ISO for Home versus Pro. In fact, when Home is installed all the components of Pro come with that, they are just selectively not activated. That's why the Change product key or update your edition of Windows link under Settings, System, About Pane allows a Home to Pro upgrade without requiring any reinstallation of Windows 10. If you supply a Pro key it kicks off a process that activates the Pro features, but does not reinstall Windows.

As @flavallee stated, the ONLY legitimate source for a Windows 10 ISO is direct from Microsoft itself, on the Windows 10 Download Page. The whole process of doing a manual/forced Windows 10 version update is documented, step-by-step, in the topic:
Windows 10 Repair Install or Feature Update Using the ISO

#6 ·
The Windows 10 installer will automatically detect what edition of Windows 10 is already installed on a machine or what version was licensed to it when it was previously installed, if it were to have been replaced by Linux or similar, and will reinstall that edition. There is not a separate ISO for Home versus Pro. In fact, when Home is installed all the components of Pro come with that, they are just selectively not activated. That's why the Change product key or update your edition of Windows link under Settings, System, About Pane allows a Home to Pro upgrade without requiring any reinstallation of Windows 10. If you supply a Pro key it kicks off a process that activates the Pro features, but does not reinstall Windows.

As @flavallee stated, the ONLY legitimate source for a Windows 10 ISO is direct from Microsoft itself, on the Windows 10 Download Page. The whole process of doing a manual/forced Windows 10 version update is documented, step-by-step, in the topic:
Windows 10 Repair Install or Feature Update Using the ISO
I downloaded it from MS official website.

#5 ·
So I did a complete clean install with every single partition deleted and formatted. I did update because I was getting BSOD. And after manually updating to version 1903 with all cumilative updates installed Im still getting BSOD with same error code: thread_stuck_in_device_driver. I even deleted reserved recovery drive during installation. What the hell is causing this?

#7 ·
Please provide us with the webpage link where you obtained it from.

Saying "I downloaded it from MS official website" doesn't confirm you obtained it from a legitimate location.

THIS is the only legitimate webpage link that I'm aware of.

--------------------------------------------------------------

#8 ·
This is the first time you mentioned the actual error and that one is generally an issue with the hardware. It could be a bad graphics card or a problem with a driver. I would check the graphics card and display drivers first to see if there are later versions that perhaps fixed some issues.

#12 ·
When someone says, "I have downloaded it from the MS Official Site," after said site has been provided by two individuals, I have no reason to doubt them.

The question has been asked and answered. Providing a link to something they've already said they've used is not helpful.

#13 ·
At this point we have no reason to doubt that the operating system is genuine based on the information provided. We may ask for verification at some point if warranted in the future, however, the error suggests a hardware issue so let's pursue troubleshooting in that direction please.

#14 ·
It appears you have hybrid video ie a performance video chip and intel on chip video. This can be problematic to get working correctly.
First and foremost the ONLY place you get drivers is the laptop support page. Do not use a generic amd or intel video driver.
How to get hybrid video to work;
1 Install the operating system
2 Install the chipset/motherboard driver
3 Install the intel video driver
4 Install the dedicated amd video driver

Be sure and reboot each time when prompted. Do not install multiple drivers without rebooting.

One possible issue. If you just clean installed windows using the 1909 or 19H2 iso, the support page for your laptop may not have current drivers. Older drivers may or may not work.
If you have current drivers and after installing in the order referenced above, the laptop still does not work, you have a hardware failure/problem.

#17 ·
It appears you have hybrid video ie a performance video chip and intel on chip video. This can be problematic to get working correctly.
First and foremost the ONLY place you get drivers is the laptop support page. Do not use a generic amd or intel video driver.
How to get hybrid video to work;
1 Install the operating system
2 Install the chipset/motherboard driver
3 Install the intel video driver
4 Install the dedicated amd video driver

Be sure and reboot each time when prompted. Do not install multiple drivers without rebooting.

One possible issue. If you just clean installed windows using the 1909 or 19H2 iso, the support page for your laptop may not have current drivers. Older drivers may or may not work.
If you have current drivers and after installing in the order referenced above, the laptop still does not work, you have a hardware failure/problem.
Yes, you got it totally right. One gpu is Intel HD5500 and second is AMD R5M330.
I don't think this pc has ever used the AMD card. If I run any game, it will have terrible FPS, in GTA 5 it was giving me 20 FPS on the lowest settings this game can have. And I have seen benchmarks of this game of others on same laptop and they are getting above 45 FPS with medium setting on 720p reso. The cards don't switch when I try to run any demanding application. If I try to install drivers of AMD gpu, the pc shows BSOD or the error saying "Graphic drivers have stopped responding and have been successfully recovered". And finding AMD drivers is just pain. After seeing all this I decided to manually clean install windows 10 Home 64-bit, I downloaded the Image from Microsoft's website. Now it has got even worse, Window shows BSOD on startup with the same error code. Even if it manages to get over the loading screen the Windows won't last 10-15 mins without showing BSOD. Current version of the windows is 1903. Tell me how to fix this hybrid graphics card problem. Or give me link to a more detailed thread if you can.
Should I,
1. Update my BIOS.
2. Im really confused what to about the drivers.
[Laptop Model: hp 15-ac 123tx]

#15 · (Edited)
I think it would be extremely helpful if we knew the MAKE and the full model of the laptop
together with any serial number or product identification number

Additionally
Download out system information utility
https://static.techguy.org/download/SysInfo.exe
run the program
right click the info in the white box and click copy
then paste to reply.

IN respect of the BSOD
Thread stuck in device driver
this is caused usually by a driver waiting to be loaded and either it cannot be because the device is not idle
OR there is a problem with the device or the driver

In order to ascertain if we can get further information to confirm it is the AMD graphics
Open Computer - C Drive
Windows
scroll to Mini Dump folder
open that
if the dump file is shown
right click - hold mouse on send to
choose compressed file on desktop
then attach to reply using the upload a file button.

ALSO I feel bound to point out that on 28 October you started this topic
https://forums.techguy.org/threads/not-able-to-update-from-1709-to-windows-10-1903.1234887/

to which you received replies and NEVER responded.
Had you have done so, it may be that the problem would have been solved on the earlier topic

AND further to the above you have now started another topic on the same computer but regarding an apparent screen fault
https://forums.techguy.org/threads/can-small-dead-pixels-go-away-over-time.1235589/

I recommend to you that you STAY with JUST this topic - the one where you are reading this post.
See if this issue can be solved and then if it is the screen issue can be addressed

#19 ·
Please do what I asked
I think it would be extremely helpful if we knew the MAKE and the full model of the laptop
together with any serial number or product identification number

Additionally
Download out system information utility
https://static.techguy.org/download/SysInfo.exe
run the program
right click the info in the white box and click copy
then paste to reply.

IN respect of the BSOD
Thread stuck in device driver
this is caused usually by a driver waiting to be loaded and either it cannot be because the device is not idle
OR there is a problem with the device or the driver

In order to ascertain if we can get further information to confirm it is the AMD graphics
Open Computer - C Drive
Windows
scroll to Mini Dump folder
open that
if the dump file is shown
right click - hold mouse on send to
choose compressed file on desktop
then attach to reply using the upload a file button
Supply the results of the System Information utility
and attach a dump file

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.