Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
3K views 24 replies 5 participants last post by  Couriant 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello Team,

I have a network problem at home, I currently have 100 Mbps with a modem and a router attached to it which i ordered from my ISP because my internet didnt get to all my rooms, but there is a specific machine that always runs slow while connected to my local home wifi. I thought it was my internet speed at home but other devices display proper speeds. I had a technician visit my home and said that is my laptop that causes slow internet at my home, idk what to do is that even posible? What do you recommend? what can be causing this?

Regards,

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.4
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home Single Language, 64 bit
Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) CPU 3825U @ 1.90GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 61 Stepping 4
Processor Count: 4
RAM: 4011 Mb
Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics, 1024 Mb
Hard Drives: C: 910 GB (290 GB Free); D: 20 GB (2 GB Free);
Motherboard: HP, 80C1
Antivirus: Windows Defender, Enabled and Updated

See less See more
#2 ·
Hello Team,

I have a network problem at home, I currently have 100 Mbps with a modem and a router attached to it which i ordered from my ISP because my internet didnt get to all my rooms, but there is a specific machine that always runs slow while connected to my local home wifi. I thought it was my internet speed at home but other devices display proper speeds. I had a technician visit my home and said that is my laptop that causes slow internet at my home, idk what to do is that even posible? What do you recommend? what can be causing this?

Regards,

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.4
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home Single Language, 64 bit
Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) CPU 3825U @ 1.90GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 61 Stepping 4
Processor Count: 4
RAM: 4011 Mb
Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics, 1024 Mb
Hard Drives: C: 910 GB (290 GB Free); D: 20 GB (2 GB Free);
Motherboard: HP, 80C1
Antivirus: Windows Defender, Enabled and Updated
Well, If your laptop is having problem then what you need to do is, open your task manager, check the network tab. If there is something using you bandwidth, then disable or stop that app. Then check the internet speed.

#3 ·
What wireless adapter? Is the latest correct Windows 10 wireless driver from HP's web site installed?

What download/upload speeds are you getting with this PC? What speeds are you getting with other similar wireless devices? What utility do you use to measure those speeds?

#5 ·
The only time that I have seen a device slow down the whole network is because one wireless device was using the oldest wireless technology (.b wireless). Because it was the 'weakest link' it made all other wireless devices slow down to its level.

Since it seems that the issue would be with your computer as others seem to be unaffected. Wireless interference can be the reason. Let's get that information that Frank as asked for.

If you cannot find any of the information, you can get the serial number from your computer by going to Command Prompt and type wmic bios get serialnumber and press enter. This will display the serial number of your machine.

#7 ·
What is the exact model number(M/N) and product number(P/N) and serial number(S/N) on your HP laptop?

Once it is correctly identified, it should be easier to help you.

----------------------------------------------------------------
Excuse me I had not been able to connect due to work but here is the information I was able to gather for you guys, Thanks alot for your time and support.

Serial: CND6482CLF
Product: K8P06LA#ABM
Model: 15-ac104la

Attachments

#8 · (Edited)
According to that serial number, you have a HP 250 G5 Notebook PC.
It has 10/100/1000 Mbps ethernet.
It has 802.11b/g/n or dual band 802.11ac wireless.

According to that product number and model number, you have a HP 15-ac104la Notebook PC.
It has 10/100 Mbps base-T ethernet.
It has 802.11b/g/n wireless.

Which one of these HP notebooks do you actually have?
Based on the processor description in your TSGSIU log, you appear to have the second one.

---------------------------------------------------------------

#10 ·
Go into the Device Manager, then expand the Network Adapters heading.
What's the exact name of the wireless device listed there?

Double-click the wireless device to open its properties window, then click the "Driver" tab.
What's the exact version number of the driver listed there?

----------------------------------------------------------------

#13 ·
I suspect that the wireless may be set to .b
How did you come to suspect that, James? All we know about the "runs slow" is that the internet access is less than the expected 100 Mbps.

but I am not too sure how we can confirm that
Depending on how much may be hidden in Windows 10: Device Manager - Network Adapters - right click on the wireless - Properties - Advanced tab - look for the Value assigned to the 'Wireless Mode' Property.

#14 ·
What download/upload speeds are you getting with this PC? What speeds are you getting with other similar wireless devices? What utility do you use to measure those speeds?
@83rn15 can you confirm this request?
@TerryNet maybe I was a little presumptuous because of this statement:

" I had a technician visit my home and said that is my laptop that causes slow internet at my home " I have had a scenario that had the similar issue i mentioned in my first post :)

#16 · (Edited)
Font Number Publication Parallel Pattern

The version listed under the second item on the list is 2023.66.1104.2017
These are the most current drivers at the Microsoft Update Catalog site for Windows 10 for the Realtek RTL8188EE 802.11b/g/n wireless device:
2023.79.606.2018 - released June 2018
2024.0.3.101 - released September 2018

If you right-click the Realtek RTL8188EE entry, then click "Update Driver", then select to automatically search for it, Windows 10 should install a more current version than what it has.

---------------------------------------------------------------

#18 ·
Windows 10 should find and install the most current version it detects.
Which, of course, is one of the most likely causes of the problem being experienced. Wait, never mind. My question about the correct driver from HP's web site has been ignored for 10 days. No point in me bringing it up again so soon. Sorry.

#17 · (Edited)
Direct link to driver newest shown by HP is 2024.0.8.107/2024.0.4.108 Rev.S

There is a network check option on the link that Frank posted for the System Information. If changing the drivers does not work, then I would suggest that too.

#22 ·
What wireless adapter? Is the latest correct Windows 10 wireless driver from HP's web site installed?

So upon installing the driver provided by Couriant the results are the same:

With other laptop i get Download: 94.65 Mbps Upload: 110.41
With the laptop with the issue i get Download: 2.73 Mbps Upload: 10 Mbps

#24 ·
I just used the windows 10 option "start fresh with clean installation" which removed all third party apps.
And upon restart, I tried another speed test wirelessly and gave me better results

Down: 44.95 Up 33.66

There might have been something installed causing this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.