Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

popups on Chrome on my macbook

632 views 6 replies 2 participants last post by  number 
#1 ·
MacBook Air mid 2013 OS HighSierra 10.13.6

It has been 2/3 months that my chrome gets bombed with popups of all kinds. I must have gotten from some dodgy website. I always use AdBlocker plus and standsapp but apparently they're not helping.
Please see the screenshots.
I'd really appreciate some help.

Thank you!
Alex

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Since this is a MacBook.....I'm not sure if this will work. Looks like your browser has been hijacked by some sort of hidden extension. To fix that you could run Malwarebytes (make sure rootkits is enabled in settings) to find it. Then run Ccleaner to remove all junk files. Then use Norton's "Power Ereaser" for deep cleaning. Again, not sure if these software's will run on a MacBook.

#3 ·
thank you. I runned Malwarebytes ( there is no rootkits option ) then CCcleaner but it stops at 79% and Norton power eraser is not available for mac.
I also uninstalled and reinstalled chrome but nothing, i'm still getting the popups.... any other suggestions?

Attachments

#6 ·
After running Malwarebytes scan....what did it find?

Is there a particular reason you need to stay signed in? I sign in just to sync my browser settings then I sign out as there's no need to stay signed in.

For the extensions; I would uninstall everyone of them and restart Chrome and see what happens.

While signed into chrome; go to settings, sync and google services, data fr om chrome sync, then scroll down to tab "RESET SYNC" and click it. This will clear everything, especally the usernames and passwords. You can back that up and save it a a d0c file to later use.

To save passwords: got to settings, passwords, the 3 dots to the right of saved passwords, click to export and select file destination.

Once that is all done....sign out of chrome, then uninstall it and download a fresh copy and install.

#7 ·
I have uninstalled all the dodgy extensions, malwarebytes remove 3 entries , i have reset sync, uninstalled chrome and restarted - still, popups all over the place :(

Attachments

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.