Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

upgrading video card

Solved 
634 views 19 replies 3 participants last post by  rocparis 
#1 ·
... I have a Alienware Aurora R4 computer running windows 7 ... the current video card is a GeForce GTX 660 ... I think it may be a 6 pin connection ... I was thinking of replacing it with a newer card ... I was wondering if the
ZOTAC Gaming GeForce RTX 2060 AMP 6GB GDDR6 192-bit Gaming Graphics Card, Super Compact, IceStorm 2.0, ZT-T20600D-10M
I think this needs an 8 pin connection
would fit in the Aurora R4 tower.
thanks

#12 ·
You can try and find a card that includes a legacy switch OR sometimes the motherboard mfg will have a bios update that will allow the card to run. If you had an asus, gigabyte, etc motherboard, you would have a better chance. Dell has no vested interest in you upgrading your system; they would much rather sell you a new system.
You can do more research however [if it were me] I would not take the chance. A 2060 or 2070 card is pretty expensive and you may end up with it not working.

#19 · (Edited)
As I said, it is hit and miss; the 10xx cards and above need a uefi bios unless the card mfg puts in a legacy switch. Same thing with the amd cards; the 4xx cards and above need the uefi bios. I have a 570 card installed in my test system and it has the legacy switch however I do not need it since the mb has a uefi bios.

Sometimes the motherboard mfg will release a bios update that will allow the card to work on old hardware; again hit and miss and I would NOT expect dell to release a bios just to support a video card.
Sometimes this is an actual switch and other cards use a jumper.

You can purchase the card and give it a try. If you had an asus or similar type board, there would be a good chance [with the latest bios] that it would work. With a dell, not so much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.