Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

better for gaming a 2.9 ghz 6-core or a 3.6 ghz 4-core

Solved 
2K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  rocparis 
#1 ·
Which processor is better for gaming ... 2.9 ghz 6-core or a 3.6 ghz 4-core ? .... thank you

#5 ·
Yes of course .... just that I was thinking of updating my computer .... My current setup has an Intel Core i7-3820 (Quad Core, 10MB Cache) Overclocked up to 4.1GHz .... it has a 800 + watt ... power supply and the current graphic card is a GeForce GTX 660 ... I have 8 Gigs of ram .................................. I was think of going to one with an Intel Core i5-9400f 2. 9GHz 6-Core ... GeForce GTX 1660 6GB ..... and 8 gigs of Ram .... What put me off for a second was the the processor with the 6 cores seems to have a slower speed than my older one ... was just wondering why that was ... (not so tech savvy myself) ... and thanks for answering.

#7 ·
You can't really go by clock speed alone when comparing different generations of processors. There has been enhancements by Intel on how efficient each generation of processors execute instructions/code/process data. The best way to figure out if one processor is better than another is to find published benchmarks which both processors have been tested against.

I used to have access to a spreadsheet from a company I had worked for which allowed me to dynamically select different processors to produce a comparison chart to provide to my customers/clients.

#9 ·
One other item. You have a pretty old system a 3xxx processor. If your board has a uefi bios, no problem however it it has a legacy bios you may have problems with a 10xx video card. Nvidia cards 10xx and higher need a uefi bios to run. Some card mfg put a legacy switch on the card AND some motherboard mfg release a bios update allowing the card to work on old hardware.
It really is hit and miss as to whether or not the card will work on a legacy bios. If you have a dell, hp, whatever, I would not hold out any hope. If you have a custom build with an asus or other high end board, then there is a good chance of the card working.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.