Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

High ping and slow speeds at night

955 views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  Couriant 
#1 ·
For past month I've been getting really high ping at night starting around 6pm cst, from couple hundred to thousands, and speeds slow down from 20mbs down/4mbs up to kbs for both. I've tried everything, even tried ethernet direct connect to two modems, both same brand. My isp provider doesnt even know whats going on, says lines are fine, they showed ping tests of my neighbors and they fine, it's only me. I'm lost at what to do. We get no ping spikes any other time and nothing we do at night changes, even with a ethernet to modem and running 1 application still gets high ping and low speeds.

#2 ·
Hello and welcome! I apologise for the delay of my post.

If you are seeing it at a certain time of day then more than likely the internet service is being saturated by other users that are on the same line/switch as you. Take it from someone that worked in an internet service provider that oversold their service and had to put in new equipment to handle the load :eek:

Who is your provider?

Here is what you can do as an end-user; document the following so you can send it to your ISP so they have to do something.

When at all possible, do this direct connected to the modem. What modem do you have?

When it's working fine:

Complete 3 speed tests from 3 different sources: www.speedtest.net, www.dslreports.com/speedtest, www.speedof.me, and www.testmy.net. Notate the speed for both upload/upstream and download/downstream, as well as ping if it shows. If your provider has a speed test, include that with these 3.

Next, go to Command Prompt, then type ping google.com -n 100 > ping1.txt & ping1.txt and press enter.
This will show nothing happening, but what this command does is inputting the data into the text file, then it will display the text file. This should take about a minute.

Next, in Command Prompt, type tracert google.com > trace1.txt & trace1.txt and press enter. Again, this will not show you the details until it completes the information. This shouldn't take more than 30 seconds.

Once it hits 6PM CST and you start to see the issue, complete the same tasks but with a slight modification... the commands you need to do will be:

ping google.com -n 100 >> ping1.txt & ping1.txt
tracert google.com >> trace1.txt & trace1.txt

The two >> means that it will add onto the created file so we have one file with both 'good' and 'bad' results per each command.

Hopefully all the information should look different. Please provide the information so I can review it.

Also don't forget to asks friends/family/neighbours to see if they are experiencing the same issue (providing they are on the same internet service and they are somewhat close to you.

Internet providers do have information about the signals to you, to the area, etc as well as usage... it will depend on the company that would actively help you with that information straight away.

#3 ·

If you are seeing it at a certain time of day then more than likely the internet service is being saturated by other users that are on the same line/switch as you. Take it from someone that worked in an internet service provider that oversold their service and had to put in new equipment to handle the load :eek:

Who is your provider?

Here is what you can do as an end-user; document the following so you can send it to your ISP so they have to do something.

When at all possible, do this direct connected to the modem. What modem do you have?

When it's working fine:

Complete 3 speed tests from 3 different sources: www.speedtest.net, www.dslreports.com/speedtest, www.speedof.me, and www.testmy.net. Notate the speed for both upload/upstream and download/downstream, as well as ping if it shows. If your provider has a speed test, include that with these 3.

Next, go to Command Prompt, then type ping google.com -n 100 > ping1.txt & ping1.txt and press enter.
This will show nothing happening, but what this command does is inputting the data into the text file, then it will display the text file. This should take about a minute.

Next, in Command Prompt, type tracert google.com > trace1.txt & trace1.txt and press enter. Again, this will not show you the details until it completes the information. This shouldn't take more than 30 seconds.

Once it hits 6PM CST and you start to see the issue, complete the same tasks but with a slight modification... the commands you need to do will be:

The two >> means that it will add onto the created file so we have one file with both 'good' and 'bad' results per each command.

Hopefully all the information should look different. Please provide the information so I can review it.

Also don't forget to asks friends/family/neighbours to see if they are experiencing the same issue (providing they are on the same internet service and they are somewhat close to you.

Internet providers do have information about the signals to you, to the area, etc as well as usage... it will depend on the company that would actively help you with that information straight away.

Who is your provider?

When it's working fine:

Internet is from Heartland Cable in Illinois

Modem Cisco model# DPC3010

Speeds good time
17.61mbs/4.21mbs. 22ms
22.84mbs/3.97mbs
23.79mbs/3.77mbs

Bad time
1mbs/2.13mbs. Ping 69. Jitter 250
4.54mbs/1.56mbs
7.30mbs/0.0

Just noticed but our modems ds light is now Amber and I'm sure it used to be green.
I've seen much worse pings and tracert but here ones I've saved like you asked.

Attachments

#4 ·
According to the manual for the modem, there are no different colours for the DS light. Just on, off, or blinking... though I haven't seen a docsis 3.0 modem that didn't have different colours... so i digged a little and found that if the light is yellow, then the modem is not completing the channel bonding which will cause slowness too. Is this yellow all the time?

ping - wow. That is bad in indeed. Most likely because of what's in the tracert.

3 150 ms 139 ms 138 ms 10.10.76.13
4 687 ms 201 ms 95 ms 7-1-25.ear3.Chicago2.Level3.net [4.35.108.45]
5 174 ms 158 ms 155 ms 72.14.203.208

I know Hop #1 has over 100ms ping times (that is the gateway before your modem) but #4 I believe is the culprit... which is the backbone that your provider is connecting to. As a user, you can;'t do anything... the ISP has to fix that with Level3.

I would seriously doubt no one else is complaining if this is the case.

Are you going direct to the modem or do you have a router? If you have a router, you would want to do this again when connected to the modem directly, just to eliminate them (isp) trying to blame the router. If you have a second computer, I would also suggest doing this as well. But at this point, I see that the connection from ISP to Level3 being the problem.

If you have friends/neighbours that are on the same ISP, see if they have the same issue and if so, do the same commands... other than that, the ISP needs to get the network (NOC) team to look into this.

#5 ·
According to the manual for the modem, there are no different colours for the DS light. Just on, off, or blinking... though I haven't seen a docsis 3.0 modem that didn't have different colours... so i digged a little and found that if the light is yellow, then the modem is not completing the channel bonding which will cause slowness too. Is this yellow all the time?

ping - wow. That is bad in indeed. Most likely because of what's in the tracert.

3 150 ms 139 ms 138 ms 10.10.76.13
4 687 ms 201 ms 95 ms 7-1-25.ear3.Chicago2.Level3.net [4.35.108.45]
5 174 ms 158 ms 155 ms 72.14.203.208

I know Hop #1 has over 100ms ping times (that is the gateway before your modem) but #4 I believe is the culprit... which is the backbone that your provider is connecting to. As a user, you can;'t do anything... the ISP has to fix that with Level3.

I would seriously doubt no one else is complaining if this is the case.

Are you going direct to the modem or do you have a router? If you have a router, you would want to do this again when connected to the modem directly, just to eliminate them (isp) trying to blame the router. If you have a second computer, I would also suggest doing this as well. But at this point, I see that the connection from ISP to Level3 being the problem.

If you have friends/neighbours that are on the same ISP, see if they have the same issue and if so, do the same commands... other than that, the ISP needs to get the network (NOC) team to look into this.
I do have a router but I did the testing direct to the modem, I'll do it again with different computer toward this weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.