Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Computer changed from PIN to Password and won't let me in

394 views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  britekguy 
#1 ·
I turned on my desktop this morning. Instead of the Pin that I use to log on to the computer, it now says "Password". Entering the Pin and get the message that the password in incorrect and directs me to reset my Microsoft password at account.live/password/reset.

I did that and when I enter the new password the same message came up. There is no way to get into the computer.

I cannot put technical details of the computer because, well, it won't LET me as I think I explained above...

Help.

#2 ·
See this message I posted Monday:

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/...irements-to-start-win10.1235812/#post-9652751

You should be able to choose PIN versus Password based on a button on the lock screen. It only appears if you have set both a PIN and a Password, and since passwords always come first and you were using a PIN, you must have both.

PINs are specific to the account and machine while passwords are linked to the account on any machine (if it's a Microsoft Account linked Win10 User Account).

#3 ·
When the sign in screen is shown in Windows 10, the operating system automatically selects the last used account and the last used login method.
Is there a sign in options
It could be that if there is it will then show the other account and entry via PIN

#4 ·
Pretty much the same thing happened to me two days ago. So I thought about the restore function. I tried pressing F8 during boot to enter safe mode but apparently this doesn't work with win 10. Then I searched, "Win 10 Restore". I did this on my tablet. It said to hold the shift key and restart. That brought up a screen with several choices. One was restore and it worked.
When this started, I was upgrading to 1909 and the computer got hung up at the circling win 10 start up thing. After about 5 minutes I shut down the computer and that's when the password/pin struggle started. I will always have a fresh restore point from now on.

#5 ·
I did that and when I enter the new password the same message came up.
The advice given by the folks above is more and better than I can give but I just wanted to add that after you change the Microsoft password it can take some time for all their servers to get in sync, so the new password may work for you after a few hours.

#6 ·
Indeed, and although rare, it does happen. Generally it will work moments after the change is complete.

But, for the sake of future readers, this applies only to a Microsoft Account linked Windows 10 User Account. Local accounts have no way to reset passwords unless you've created a password reset disk on the machine being used and done so long before the need arises.

Those who want to use local accounts should always create a password reset disk (thumb drive, really) and store it somewhere safe and where they can easily lay their hands on it if the need arises as one of the initial setup steps for their Windows 10 systems.

I only use local accounts for the purposes of experimentation. There are, in my opinion, just too many advantages to the Microsoft Account linked Windows 10 User Account.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.