Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Infinite windows update reboot

1K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Couriant 
#1 ·
Hey I was updating my rog laptop and fell asleep. I woke to my laptop continually rebooting like this- ROG logo, swirling loading dots appear, black screen. A cmd window flashes for a frame and then goes back to black for a bit. Two messages flash by very quickly displaying "attempting to recover installation" and then "undoing changes made to your computer". The computer then restarts.

There is an endless loop of this and I tried to look up videos on how to do a safe mode boot up an windows 10 but I could not do that. I was holding down random buttons and got a Asus boot screen to appear, but I couldn't find any way to recover updates or anything to do with the windows version. I also looked for other boot options but could not find anything that I thought I could do anything with. I didn't dare fool around with anything I was unfamiliar with because this laptop was quite pricey and is only 1.5/2 years old.

I haven't yet tried to boot from a USB and do not have a disk drive to boot from CD. I am starting to get worried that I may not be able to save my files. Luckily I have most of my stuff on a external hard drive but I have a lot of videos and pictures I would like to keep that are on the internal hard drive.

The model is a Asus GL503V. I haven't made any major changes to any major part of the os (no dual booting or anything) and have a pretty reliable antivirus software. I have had trouble with windows updates in the past but the worst that would happen is it would keep asking to restart for updates immediately after I updated it (which probably means it failed)

Please help

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
and have a pretty reliable antivirus software
What is it
Some third party AV programs can cause this

If on the black screen you press Ctrl Alt Del do you get task manager

#3 ·
You haven't replied to Macboatmaster, so we don't know yet which third-party antivirus app you're using.

When you use a third-party antivirus app and don't use Windows 10's built-in antivirus app, Windows Update can fail to work properly and fail to install updates.

---------------------------------------------------------------

#4 ·
I use, and recommend others use, Windows Security if they're running Windows 10 or Windows 8. It's consistently in the top tier of test results, and has been for several years.

The above being said, most third party antivirus or security suite program makers explicitly recommend that you disable them such that they stay disabled until re-enabled by you, immediately prior to initiating a Restart with the intent of having a Feature Update applied. They are quite often the stumbling block when a Feature Update is being applied.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.