Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Is it best to transfer files to PC from USB for working?

Solved 
594 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  mh3330 
#1 ·
If I have larger size image files, what would be better for faster loading/reading/writing? Is it better to work with the files after transferring to your PC?

5400 RPM HD vs. 7200 RPM HD vs. USB 3.0 vs USB 2.0

According to Newegg that is selling this model HD, it is 7200 RPM.

But I'm curious to know as well about 5400 HD's and USB 2.0.

Here's a screenshot from my Device Manager:

See less See more
#2 ·

"If I have larger size image files, what would be better for faster loading/reading/writing?"

You should determine the specifications of the USB 3.0 device you are using also. Look on the label of the device and search for the Manufacturer and Model Number. Provide that information here or search it yourself and find the full specifications.
  • 7200 vs 5400 refer to Rotations Per Minute, and 7200 is faster
  • Other specs include Cache size and Gb/s (your current internal drive has 32MB Cache and 6.0Gb/s)
  • USB 3.0 (5 GB/s) is significantly faster than USB 2.0 (480 MB/s) for transferring data
"Is it better to work with the files after transferring to your PC?"

If it's a USB Flash drive (thumb drive):

Reading/writing (saving) your large image files often will reduce the lifespan of the device more quickly. You could consider moving them to your internal hard drive for editing if you are saving them often, but it's really your choice.

If it's an External Hard Drive (portable HD):

If the external hard drive's RPMs, Cache and Gb/s are near or greater than those of the TOSHIBA drive you listed, then working with the files directly from the external will probably be comparable (or good'nuff) and there will be no need to take the extra step to transfer them back and forth.

External SSD drives are available also, but they are more expensive and still must deal with the maximum of 5GB/s while using a USB 3.0.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.