Not open for further replies.

Testing a Monitor for Defects

831 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  bassfisher6522 
#1 ·
Here are some monitor testing apps:

https://www.raymond.cc/blog/free-ways-to-test-your-monitor/
https://www.majorgeeks.com/mg/sortname/monitor_screens.html

I don't need to adjust color, contrast, brightness, etc. I've got an older
monitor that looks good. I want to test this monitor for actual defects.

Ocassionally, when I minimize a fully maximized window my Desktop
icons briefly vanish. I'm guessing it lasts about 500ms. (That's 1/2 of a
second.) I started to notice this problem a few months ago.

Is there an app that will tell me if this monitor is beginning to fail?

#2 ·
A monitor (ie: hardware issue) isn't going to make your icons disappear. You would get some kind of display issue on part or all of the screen...NOT a particular item being displayed on the screen To the monitor, everything displayed on the screen is just a single signal (ie: all or nothing).

Your issue sounds like some sort of refresh issue with the desktop (ie: OS). If you have a lot of icons, or icons which contain/use a lot of storage space (ie: such as putting programs or ZIP files on the desktop > NOT recommended at all), issues such as this can occur. Could be any number of things, high cpu usage, high HDD usage, a failing HDD, etc..

#3 ·
Never seen a problem like this before. I thought it might be Windows, but it's a very
consistent problem. I can almost predict when it's going to occur. That's why I started
to think about this aging monitor.

I build Desktops and I just upgraded several components, including an advanced cooling
system. Everything runs much cooler. The CPU and HDDs are new.

I like a very spartan Desktop. No wallpaper. Just simple and bright icons against a black
background. There are twelve icons on my Desktop. It's very uncluttered!

I just realized the same refresh problem occurs with a lengthy menu. The menu will seem
to blink or momentarily vanish.

It would be nice if a single installed app or a Windows process triggered this problem.
I'll never find the cause by guessing. I need a good Windows diagnostic app. Can you
recommend one?

#4 ·
I like a very spartan Desktop. No wallpaper. Just simple and bright icons against a black
background. There are twelve icons on my Desktop. It's very uncluttered!
I got you beat on a desktop.........mine is a dual monitor.

Green Entertainment Terrestrial plant Space Midnight

As for your issue; my guess would be the aging monitor itself. They do go bad. As for testing for hardware issues in a monitor with an app......afraid there is none that I know of.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.