Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thunderbird can't log in to Gmail on Linux

1K views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  Couriant 
#1 · (Edited)
Running TB various Linux devices accessing gmail. I use two step verification. Recently the TB apps on the Linux devices repeatedly ask me to sign in to Google. Then a cycle starts of 'wrong password' error messages. Going back to Mail Account Setup in TB, I get 'Username or password invalid' and 'Configuration canot be verified' error messages.

I set up an App Password with Google. This does not get past the first dialogue box in setting up Gmail.

Tried troubleshooting with Google but their representive assumed TB is a 'browser' and washed their hands of it.

Linux lite 4.0 on a Lenovo t42o

Thanks for your comments.

id:
stephen-thinkpad-t420
description: Notebook
product: 41772VB
vendor: LENOVO
version: ThinkPad T420
serial: R8P9EE2
width: 64 bits
capabilities: smbios-2.6 dmi-2.6 smp vsyscall32
configuration:
administrator_password = disabled
chassis = notebook
family = ThinkPad T420
power-on_password = disabled
uuid = 81BAC3AA-3D51-CB11-825D-B6DDC39F6C67

See less See more
#3 ·
Thanks for your reply. I'm connecting via the Thunderbird client and a browswer. I have 2FA set up so have generated an App Password via Google security.

The screenshots show what happens.

1. Set up account in TB. Attempted using both Google password and App Password
2. Google sign in prompt
3. 'wrong password' if trying to use App Password
4. Request access for TB
5. Takes me back to TB configuration; 'could not be varified/ username wrong...'
6. Attempts at manual configuration generates 'Server already exists'

Attachments

#6 ·
Tested --- In image 6, change the Authentication to Normal Password instead of OAuth. Auth will bring up the Google sign in, which you don't want. Then click on Re-test to make sure your 2nd password (app password) is working.

Oh and don't go to File > New.. Go to Edit > Properties and change the one you have there (since you get the server already exists, I am assuming you have an entry already)

BTW why are you using an app password? The OAuth should work fine... unless that part is an linux issue (not able to handle 2FA)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.