Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hard drive showing way more data than TreeSize Free report

Solved 
832 views 17 replies 3 participants last post by  GreggIllinois 
#1 ·
My sister's computer is showing that it has 260 GB of data on it. There's no way she has that much, so I ran the TReeSize scan. She only has 90 GB. So I Googled around, and they say it may be bad sectors. Some people suggest runninig chkdsk to test it and then if there are file system errors or bad sectors to run chkdsk c:/r to fix it. But other people say running those things can damage the data on the computer. And some people say replace the hard drive right away. The hard drive still has 450 GB free on the hard drive, (and she'll never use that much) so maybe best to leave the hard drive alone?

Any suggestions for a reasonable course of action? Thanks.

#2 ·
Reactions: GreggIllinois
#6 ·
So are you going to post it then - please

#7 ·
I ran that exe file on my Windows 10 computer to test it and it worked fine. I put the file on a USB thumbdrive and tried to run it on my sister's computer but her Panda antivirus removed the file from my USB drive. So I downloaded the file on her computer and ran it, but I got a window that said:

The parameter is incorrect.

#8 ·
What is the OS on the computer
Is it a desktop or a laptop
the parameter is incorrect MAY indicate errors on the drive
OR it may indicate other problems

#9 ·
Thanks. The OS is Windows 7 Home Premium. It's an ASUS 8GB of RAM 64 bit Desktop.

The computer has had no issues with impaired functionality or speed.

My sister's hardly computer knowledgeable and has tendency to push buttons too quickly. (Not on this computer but on her previous one, she thought it was okay to hold the power button down and power off that way, rather than logging off normally). In other words, she may have done something to cause this issue.

#10 ·
Run a chkdsk /r -on C drive and attach results please

Open a cmd prompt with admin rights, it will probably open at a C:\windows\system32>
prompt -
type
chkdsk /r

if the response is do you wish to force a dismount type
N
the response should then be-
do you wish to run on restart - or that may be the first response
type
Y
restart the computer
let the chkdsk which is a five stage check complete and when the computer starts again go to control panel - admin tools, event viewer
expand windows logs on left pane and click application log
when that log loads on right pane click find and type
wininit (note spelling)

the log will now load wininit entries and the top one will more than likely be the chkdsk you have just run
open it and make sure it is
select details - friendly view
select all
click copy
open notepad
paste
save to desktop

then on reply open the txt file on the desktop click edit and select all
copy and paste to reply please

OR simply copy and paste directly to reply

#11 ·
Thanks Mac. I will not have the kind of access to the computer for three for four days. In the meantime I attempted to run that tsginfo.exe again. The first time I ran it I got a window and forgot to tell you and only reported the "The parameter is incorrect." Sorry. My bad.

I ran the tsginfo.exe again just now and a window came up that said:

Windows cannot access the specified device, path or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item.

When I Googled around it said to check the file's Properties and then under Security tab. There were three entries under Groups.
1)SYSTEM
2) my sister's name and a file name
3) administrator

They all had identical information checked.

PS. I'm thinking what an option might be (since my sister's computer needs to upgrade to Windows 10 soon) would be install an SSD hard drive. I actually bought one for my computer but decided not to use it. I figure replacing my sister's drive might resolve this whole thing. Good idea, bad idea?

#12 ·
For future replies there is no need to quote back all I post
Please just type in the box that appears AFTER my post, not by clicking reply on my post

It is pointless at this stage re running the system info utility or anything else, please simply proceed to the chkdsk

#14 ·
NO it will not reveal any personal or sensitive data

#17 ·
As you wish
If you want to rely on SMART test rather than chkdsk that is up to you
Mark your topic solved please
click mark solved on your opening post

Reactions: GreggIllinois
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.