Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Negative numbers in red in Access 2016

Solved 
6K views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  Chawbacon 
#1 ·
Is it possible to format a field to display negative numbers in red? If so, how?

#3 ·
As usual, I did not explain fully. Since I know so little about Access, I leave out a lot.
"Is it possible to format a field to display negative numbers in red? If so, how?" is what I wrote. I should have put "in a table" between field and to.

I want the table to reflect the difference in the one field so that it is immediately obvious when I look at it if it is a positive or a negative number. the - just isn't that obvious!
Once I got as far as "2. Select the Field on the Form/Report". I knew that I had not been specific enough since this did not show up on my screen.

Why is my text BOLD?

ANYWAY, can this be done to one of the table fields?

THANKS

#4 ·
Unfortunately, I am not aware of a way to change the text color for a specific field/column within the actual table.

Out of curiosity, why would you want to display this information to the user within the table instead of a form/report?

In my experience, it is a bad idea to access tables directly for day-to-day use. Even for my own personal databases, the only time I access the actual tables would be to add/remove/modify the fields, or the field properties. Any data manipulation that I perform is through the form/report interface, unless there is some significant table maintenance that has to be conducted.

#5 ·
I am the user. This is the beginning of a new table (in progress) that I am starting based on a spreadsheet which I use. Since I have always had red negative numbers it looked strange to see all black. Basically, I wrote without thinking it through first. I can live with all black.

About the only time I access a table directly is to add to it or to query it. So far I have no idea how to use a form/report; it hasn't been necessary in my use at this point of my learning.

Thank you for taking time out to respond; it is greatly appreciated.

I guess this should be marked as solved.

#6 ·
Hey there ImaGrump,

All you have to do is use the Ribbon to click on Create... Form Wizard... Select your Query... add the Fields you want to view... Click on the Datasheet radio button... and Click on Finish.

This will create a form that you can use to manipulate the visual display and will still enable you to modify your information within the database. :)

I hope this helps,

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.