Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
728 views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  mh3330 
#1 ·
Introduction:
Hello, I have been having a issue out of my pc for the past few months. I've tried everything that I could think of including doing a few things I found online. Some thing's I've found have been able to fix the issue, but it will only remain that way for a few moments/hours then go back to acting slow. I built my PC almost 3 years ago, close to 3 years anyways.. and never had this issue until about 2 months ago. In the beginning, my PC was fast, and could run just about any game or program I wanted. But now, it's hard to type on the dang thing.

Issue:
My PC is running.. slow.. that's kinda obvious, but it doesn't run slow consistently. My computer will seem fine, until I start doing something. For example, as I'm typing this out now, my computer seems to lag and freeze mid-word.. then spell everything out instantly. I am not sure how to showcase this but I'm sure you understand what I mean. But that's not the only issue, there's times where I will click on something in my files, or on a website and the computer would act like I didn't click it, or freeze mid-click for a second before opening the file. Now, this is all issue's i'm currently having while just trying to use my computer for basic functions, but it gets worse when I try to play games. My PC can run games like Fallout 4 on HIGH/Ultra Settings and SW: Battlefront 2 on HIGH/Ultra Settings with no problem.. but I keep experiencing stutter issues with my mouse. For example, I will be running across the map and see a enemy so when I attempt to aim at the target, sometimes my mouse will act like it's frozen, stick to it's current spot for a few seconds before more, OR it will slowly move the way i'm trying to move it. Also, while this is happening, the keyboard will act as if the button is mashed down and continue moving my character in the direction I was moving when the issue happened, even if I'm not touching the keyboard at all. Also, for some reason I can not use my keyboard when attempting to sign-in into my PC when it starts up. I can only use the numbers. Crazy thing is, these issues don't always happen, but it seems to be getting more frequent as of late.

Solution:
I have no solution, like I said earlier I have tried everything over the past 2 months to figure it out. I've reset my computer and reinstalled Win. 10 twice now. The first time seemed to fix the issue, but it came back. After I did the 2nd reset, the issue was there soon as I started my PC up after Win. installed.

PC Specs:
Radeon RX 570 Series
AMD Ryzen 5 1600 Six-Core Processor
B350 Gaming Plus

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Hi,

Have you tested any number of these things in addition to resetting your Windows 10?
  • Test keyboard lag when booted into safe mode
  • Test with a wired keyboard
  • Check for updated drivers for components in Device Manager (video card, etc.)
  • Check if there is a BIOS update which may address some of your issues (lagging, etc.)
You stated you built the machine, so if you're comfortable doing the following:
  • Physically reseat memory inside computer case
  • Clean dust out of machine and make sure the airflow isn't restricted
  • Check that fans are working
  • Obstructions such as cabling/desk blocking fans, room ambient temperature (too hot), etc.
  • Check if Wifi or Ethernet are enabled, but not both at the same time (can cause lag issues)
  • Monitor CPU/Memory usage through Task Manager/Resource Monitor and Performance Monitor looking for spikes
  • Check Computer Management Event Viewer for errors/warnings happening at regular intervals such as minutes/seconds apart
Going back the past couple of months, think if it coincided with anything recent like an upgrade to Windows 10 (prior to resets, in other words, Windows 10 itself) or any new hardware changes.

Intermittent problems are always a challenge. I hope some of these suggestions will be helpful for you, if simply to rule more things out.

#3 ·
I've done all the above at some time over the past few months. My PC runs at a average temp. during both idle & gaming. It normally idles around 40 - 55 and depending on the game, it will jump up to 60 - 75. I've never seen the temp jump 80, but the CPU has hit 90 - 100 before, and seems to be hitting it alot lately but only during gameplay, it isn't affecting the gameplay itself though, only my mouse/keyboard when it "stutters" so I guess you could say it is affecting gameplay. But even now, typing this, with the temp. around 45-50 and the CPU only around 10, it still freezes mid-word then spits the rest I typed out after a second or two. A new problem just occurred today though, when I play SW: Battlefront 2, there's times where the screen will consistently spin in circles when I'm not even moving the mouse. I have to restart the game just to get this issue resolved but it doesn't fix it everytime, which is getting annoying itself. All the fans work, from what I've seen and I always keep the inside of my PC clean so there's barely any dust in there. My computer is sitting under my desk though in a corner, and it does get kinda hot under there but I've set my PC on-top of my desk and it would still have this issue. I'm thinking I might need to upgrade a part, maybe my processor or graphics card or even the motherboard. I'm not sure, just wish I could figure out the issue and get it to stop.

#4 ·
40-55 is good, 90-100 not good (85 is an okay max).

This may or may not be related to your lagging while idle issue, but as far as the temperature, have you reapplied any thermal paste to the CPU since 3 years ago? Not that it needs it after three years necessarily, but if it didn't have good coverage, or was cheaper and has broken down, it could cause even individual cores to heat up more.

Between the CPU, motherboard and video card, I'd try troubleshooting the video first (and it's the easier one to try). If you do have one laying around, or can borrow one from someone, that would definitely be something to try. Even a cheaper one. Not for the games, but for the idle time, which is more bizarre.

Video cards can do wacky and annoying things at times when they're starting to fail, or the driver is outdated. It doesn't always give you an error like memory and hard drives. In the IT world, I've had to scratch my head a number of times before finally swapping out the video card and seeing things magically start working again.

I'm not much of a PC gamer, just a little Xbox gaming sometimes. I do know the video card technology is getting much better and off-loading a lot more of the work from the CPU to the GPU. If it is bad, maybe it'll be a good thing to look into replacing it. Maybe kill two birds...

Best of luck. There's many other experts here, maybe they'll jump in as well with some more ideas or advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.