Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cannot access xfinity email on laptop

Solved 
3K views 26 replies 5 participants last post by  dogluver 
#1 ·
My laptop speed is slow, however, my ipad is working at a good speed - download speed - 117.5. I can access some websites slowly (download - 42.5), however, when I go to the xfinity site it won't download my email. I just receive a message that that says they are unable to access my email. But, I'm able to get it on my ipad. I called Comcast because of the slow speed. They are coming to check out what's going on. What could be wrong with my laptop? The only thing I did different was purchase malwarebytes a few days ago. Any ideas on what could I do? Thanks so much for your help!!

#3 ·
Thanks for your reply. Of course, Comcast never showed up. So now they're coming tomorrow. Anyway, since my ipad & Kindle has very good speed do you think it's definitely my laptop? I'll know more when they come tomorrow, but want to know if you know of any program or scan I can do to speed things up. When they didn't show up I called and they reset my router and modem. That didn't work. Just don't know what could be wrong. Sorry about all the questions, I just get frustrated when I can't figure out the problem. You don't have to reply if you don't know of anything I can try. Thanks for trying to help me.

#4 ·
For starters, you gave no brand nor model of laptop. No one knows what hardware is in it. It is next to impossible to tell you what to try with no information.

If the iPad and Kindle don't have a problem and the laptop does, it could point to a problem BUT we also don't know if the laptop is connected by ethernet or wifi.

#5 ·
Thanks for your post. Sorry I didn't provide more info. Anyway, Comcast came today. I am not computer literate so he had to explain what the problem was. He knew right away. He saw my Dell laptop was not brand new. So, he said that it has 2.4 GHz and this band provides coverage at a longer range but transmits data at slower speeds. The 5 GHz band provides less coverage but transmits data at faster speeds. (I can access both 2.4 and 5 on my ipad). So that explains it. My Kindle can access both too. I can login to websites just fine, but not very fast. Not a big deal. It's fast enough for me. But I will say the other night my laptop was very slow. Maybe my neighbors were using the same channel or Comcast was having some problems.Well, I definitely learned something today!! Thanks again for taking the time to post responses. It is greatly appreciated.

#6 ·
Wifi is generally slower than wired. Have you considered wiring you laptop to the Comcast Gateway or router?
For wireless: another option is to buy a USB dual band wifi dongle. You'd use that instead of the inbuilt wifi in the Dell laptop.
Here's an example:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07PB1X4CN/ref=twister_B07ZDTQ8FN?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

If you decide to buy a USB dual band wifi dongle, please read the reviews from several sites so you are not disappointed.

#7 ·
Hello again, thanks for your post. My laptop is doing okay. I have a powerline adapter hooked up to my router/modem thanks to the suggestion of someone from techguy. You guys are great!! Since I made that change I have not had any buffering when watching movies with my Firestick. So, I'm happy with my speed as of now. It's not super fast, but I'm not a gamer and just watch movies and surf the web. Like I said before, I don't know why I had such slow speed the other night. I'm getting around good now. I'm not sure what a wifi dongle is. I'm going to read about it. Thanks again for all your help.

#8 · (Edited)
I purchased the USB dual band wifi dongle as suggested above. I had some trouble being able to view both 2.4 and 5 g. At first I was only able to view the 2.4. After some time I was finally was able to see the 5HZ in my settings, but it is now on wifi 2 not wifi 1 where I can view the 2.4 g. When I tried to connect, I was asked for my security key. I put in the passcode for my network that I'm using for 2.4. It said it wasn't correct. I even tried looking under my router from Comcast and there was a security key listed there. I tried that and it didn't work!!! Is it different for 5GHz? Please help! So, what do I need to do for 5GHz?? Thanks so much for any help!

#11 ·
I don't think the problem downloading email has anything to do with 2.4 GHz versus 5 GHz. The explanation of the difference between the bands is correct. So stand right next to the router and connect with the 2.4 GHz band. Can you download email?

Yes, the 2 bands usually have different passwords. Log into your router and set them.

#14 ·
No, when I click my wifi button I'm finally able to see the 5G, however, I'm unable to connect. I had to switch to wifi 2. My 2.4 G is under wifi 1. I'm not sure how to set up another wifi account with a different password. Just need help with that.

#16 ·
Thanks for responding! I'm not the best with setting things up on computers. So, I just need to get an ethernet cable and set different passwords, right? But how do I get to the router set up. I'm not used to this router. It's from Comcast. Is there anywhere I can go to for step by step directions? Do I go to Network and internet settings? I found that.

Thanks so much!!

#17 ·
I've never used a router supplied by Comcast so I don't know if they've locked it down. That means you can't get into the settings to make changes.
Normally I access my routers (I've had three) by typing 192.168.1.1 into a browser and then typing in my username and password so I can get to the settings.

What is the brand and exact model of router or do you have just one piece of hardware called a Gateway? That is both a modem and router in one.

#18 ·
Are you sure that you are typing in the correct email address and password at Comcast.net?

Also post a screen shot of this error message you are getting about not having access?

#19 ·
Thanks for your response. My problem is not with email (I should close this post and start another), but when I click the wifi button, I'm only able to see 2.4 G, but my doppler I just purchasd is plugged into my laptop. I read that in order to view 5G I have to have to have separate passwords, but am unsure how to get into my router/modem settings. It just says Comcast. I guess I will try to figure how to set up a different password for 5G. When I click the wifi arrow at the top on right, I have to click from wifi 1 to wifi 2 to view 5G. Just need to set up a password for 5G. If anyone knows how, please post. Thanks for reading!!

#20 ·
On the back side there should be a label, can you get a image of it and post that image?
Mine also has a small label on the right side near the back edge, with real fine print, get an image it also?

#21 ·
I just want to make sure we got this right.

WiFi 1 and WiFi 2 are the physical connection listed in Network/Internet Settings? It sounds like you need to disable the WiFi on your laptop and let your new dongle be your wireless connection.
To disable a connection, go Network and Internet Settings. (assuming Windows 10)

Next go to Change Adapter Options:

Font Screenshot Number Rectangle Terrestrial plant

Next, right click on the original Wireless connection and choose Disable. Now the wireless should only go through your new dongle.

As to the passwords, it is possible that the 5GHz has a different password. My old Cox modem had 2.4 and 5GHz connections and by default, the passwords were both the same that is on the modem sticker. I could change the password on one if needed.

If you get "cannot connect to network" straight away without asking for a password, in Network and Internet Settings, click on WiFi on the left, then Manage Known Networks. You should see both wireless networks here. Click on them and remove them, so next time you connect to the wireless connection, it should ask you for the password.

If it still does not work, and you are not able to connect to the modem's portal to change the password, you should be able to call your provider to connect to the modem and change the password, or reset the modem to default settings by pressing and holding the reset button for about 30 seconds. You may need something small like a paper clip to push the recessed button.

#24 ·
I have the same modem (or very similar) through Cox. It seems that the name and password is the same for both frequencies. I tried to change mine thinking it was for the 2.4GHz but it changed it for both, even though it looked like 2 separate connections. At this point, I would say let's start fresh.

Disable the original wifi so your computer is working from one wireless connection (the new one).
Reset your modem back to defaults so the network name and password in the image is the correct one.
Reconnect to XFSETUP-B94B with that password.

#25 ·
I'm so confused!! You guys are awesome, but are suggesting I try different things. I don't know what to do. On my laptop 2.4 (win 10) my password works fine, but not when I switch to 5G. I'm so scared I won't be able to connect at all. What should I try first? Couriant's suggestion (his first post) or his 2nd post with the password:
XFSETUP-B94B?

#26 ·
I'm so confused!! You guys are awesome, but are suggesting I try different things. I don't know what to do. On my laptop 2.4 (win 10) my password works fine, but not when I switch to 5G. I'm so scared I won't be able to connect at all. What should I try first? Couriant's suggestion (his first post) or his 2nd post with the password:
XFSETUP-B94B?
The xfsetup-b94b is the network name, not the password.

If this modem does indeed have 2 separate passwords, then perhaps have Comcast's Technical phone support to assist as they should be able to connect to the modem from their end and see what the password is (if available)

#27 ·
Hey everyone that helped me with my password problem for 2.4 & 5 G. I just wanted to tell you that I finally was able to connect with my wifi password for both 2.4 & 5 G. As a last resort, I decided to put in the CD they sent again. I thought I might have forgotten to do something. Well, praise God my password worked. I don't know what I did, but I have much faster speed. Thanks again for all your advice. It was greatly appreciated!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.