Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Anything else I need to know about this SSD?

617 views 16 replies 2 participants last post by  Alex Ethridge 
#1 ·
I have a Lenovo tablet with a 250-gig SSD with the following original stock specifications:

256GB
Samsung MZ-VLW2560 M.2 2280 PCIe 3.0x4
Interface: 1 x M.2 (22x80) (PCIe 3.0 x4)
Sequential Read: 2800MB/s
Sequential Write: 1100MB/s
4KB Random Read: Up to 250K IOPS
4KB Random Write: Up to 180K IOPS

I want to upgrade to two terabytes and do not want to lose anything in performance. I found this on NewEgg. With my limited knowledge, it looks to me like this SSD is actually faster. However, I do understand its performance is limited by other factors but can I be confident this device will deliver at least the same performance than the original?
  • Max Sequential Read: Up to 2705 MBps
  • Max Sequential Write: Up to 1600 MBps
  • 4KB Random Read: Up to 283,000 IOPS
  • Controller: Silicon Motion SM2262
  • Model #: MKNSSDPL2TB-D8
  • Item #: N82E16820226891

See less See more
#8 ·
Theoretically yes....you should not have any issues at all.

Question: As I do not have tablet, how are you going to reinstall windows on the new drive? Is there a mini USB port?
That is going to be something to figure out. Yes, it has two USB ports, one D and one C. Imaging it is no problem as I have already imaged it a few times but getting the OS transferred to the new drive is going to be the tricky thing.

I may contact Lenovo and see if they have a solution or some kind of recovery software/system.

#9 ·
In the specs I see is has a USB 3.1 and a USB type C.

I would use a standard USB drive 3.0/3.1 and go to MS and download the MCT tool. From there you can create a bootable USB with the ISO of windows 10. Then when you change out drives....boot up, change the boot order to USB and then install windows 10 from the USB.

Oh wait....what OS do you have?

#16 ·
I have all of those things but it looks like I won't need any of it. I can create an image using Active Disk Image onto an external hard disk. Copy it to my desktop computer then transfer the image from the desktop computer to the new SSD as I just checked my motherboard and it has a PCIe 3.0 slot on it.

I wonder if PCIe 3.0 and 3.1 are compatible. If they are, I have the solution right here already.

#17 ·
Got it done after several failed attempt methods. I was not able to transfer the image from the original drive then to the new one. I had repartitioned the original C into two parts, one small and one larger. Maybe something about that was the culprit as it would not boot.

Finally, what worked was I did a recovery to complete factory configuration of the original, then imaged that to a USB drive using the Windows imaging utility, then I put in the replacement 2TB SSD and then restored the image to it from the USB.

For some reason I don't understand, Active Disk image would say it was successful but would produce only Windows boot failures.

There were a couple of other stumbles/frustrations but no need to go into all of it now.

Interesting, the manual said the maximum SSD size it would support is 1TB and I was beginning to think that was the problem as the replacement I was using is 2TB. It's now running fine on the new 2TB SSD.

Thanks for all replies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.