Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dual boot Lubuntu / Win 7 causes failure to boot into either

3K views 18 replies 2 participants last post by  jayty 
#1 ·
Hello, I hope I can find the help here that I need with this issue -

For a week I had been booting into Linux (Lubuntu 18.04 permanent install on a super fast usb drive, with a 2011 Windows 7 host machine. (MBR, legacy bios).

I had experienced a few times since I began dual booting in this way, that the machine failed to boot, regardless of what system I was trying to boot into. No logo flashed up, just a black screen. No error messages. I tried waiting for 15 minutes once, as an experiment, but the machine didn't manage to sort itself out.

When this happens power light shows power is on. I can hear sounds of the system working. Then silence.

Each time it happened I had to power off using the power button. I tried removing the USB to see if this would at least help me to boot into Win 7, but it didn't. When powered up again still just a black screen.

I found a temporary fix which enabled machine to boot into Win 7 (after shutting down, remove power cord and peripherals, remove battery, hold power button down 15 secs). I am not happy with the idea of continuing with this a temporary fix on a daily basis.

I tried a fresh brand new USB with a different OS on it (Zorin) but that wouldn't boot either. No error message, just black screen.

No problem booting up after booting into, then shutting down, live version on usb.

My first question is whether continuing like this could eventually permanently destroy the ability of my laptop to boot again?

Secondly, is there a way to fix the issue so the laptop always boots when I boot into the other OS?

Have stopped booting into Lubuntu for now, and Win 7 has been booting up easily.

Sorry, no screenshots of partitioning. Have screenshot on hard drive, but this forum asks for URL So instruction on how to do that would also be useful, for future reference, please.

Rectangle Font Screenshot Parallel Slope

Although I have had some previous experience of dual-booting, best to treat me as a beginner, as I am a self taught home user regarding anything computer related.

Thanks.

See less See more
#2 ·
Hello, current issue prevents me from using utility you suggest, will try to upload screenshots I had stored on back up drive.
Problem is that Win 7 64 bit legacy BIOS machine will only boot into BIOS. To get out of there I would usually use esc key, but that doesn't work. Can use other keys in BIOS, such as arrow keys, and enter key.
Can only switch off by using power button. When start up again, pressing f8 to enter safe mode doesn't work, just goes to BIOS. I haven't tried factory reset yet, although I have backup, I was hoping to avoid factory reset.
Powering down, connecting USB rescue media, then powering up while pressing esc key to boot into rescue media only takes me to BIOS again.
Prior to this I had recently been having trouble with a dual booting issue. I had a Linux Lubuntu distro permanent full install on a fast usb. Was dual booting for several months last year with this machine as host. Distro I was using last year was different, but still Ubuntu based.
I decided to begin dual booting again in the same way, as Win 7 will no longer be supported.
But this time dual booting wasn't working out well, and after booting into the Lubuntu a couple of times, I started to experience failure to boot into either Windows or Lubuntu
I found a temporary fix by powering off, removing power cord, battery, and peripherals, and holding power button down for a while. Was afraid boot capability could be seriously damaged, and just used Windows for the past week without any troubles.
UNTIL I decided to plug in the troublesome USB with Lubuntu on it, and inspect the partitions by booting into a live lubuntu Os. That got me stuck in the Asus flash screen. I tried pressing f2 to enter setup, in case that helped. Nothing happened so I powered down. Gave it a while before powering up again, and am stuck in BIOS. Can navigate around it, but can't get out of ut, only by powering down.
Is there another way to fix this, without factory reset? I may not even be able to get into factory reset.
Thank you
Rectangle Font Parallel Operating system Software
Computer Personal computer Font Display device Multimedia

Rectangle Font Parallel Screenshot Number

#3 · (Edited)
RAM is your first suspect
If the 4GB is two sticks of each being 2GB take one out, check on board user manual which slot must be populated and try booting with just the one

Second suspect is the drive from which windows boot loader - starts
OR the card reader or USB drive
If the card reader is connected USB - disconnect both
and try again.

If the drive itself - eg the Seagate SATA drive is too blame - disconnect both SATA power and SATA port and try booting it from a USB such as LINUX

If you have not already tried it reset CMOS - check motherboard manual for procedure
In BIOS check time and date is correct

Also as posted on your other topic here
https://forums.techguy.org/threads/...7-causes-failure-to-boot-into-either.1237188/

please do not create MORE THAN ONE topic on the same problem
From the site rules

It is simply not acceptable to post your question more than once, or to post it in more than one forum. Choose the forum that your question or post best fits in, and place it there and only there. If, after posting, you feel it should be in another forum, use the "Report Thread" button at the bottom of the post and we'll move it. We also reserve the right to move posts to other forums and delete or close duplicates.
One reason is that one member may be replying to one of the topics, not realising that you have created TWO separate ones, whilst another member is replying to the other one.

#4 · (Edited)
Please do not create two topics on more or less the same problem
https://forums.techguy.org/threads/win-7-stuck-in-bios-when-booting.1237191/

the one where you are reading this was created at 0439 yesterday Sunday 15th December and the linked topic, to which I have replied, was created at 0814 yesterday

From our rules
It is simply not acceptable to post your question more than once, or to post it in more than one forum. Choose the forum that your question or post best fits in, and place it there and only there. If, after posting, you feel it should be in another forum, use the "Report Thread" button at the bottom of the post and we'll move it. We also reserve the right to move posts to other forums and delete or close duplicates.

#5 ·
Thank you. It's evening now for me, and will try tomorrow the suggestions you have made. Some I will not be able to do, as machine currently capable only of being in BIOS, or powered off. I did have a quick look, and BIOS time is correct.

I also cannot trigger factory reset .

I apologise for my mistake in the way I asked two questions on two separate threads. I did that because although the first predicament obviously contributed to the second, I thought of them as different questions, that would need different answers.

#6 ·
Some I will not be able to do, as machine currently capable only of being in BIOS, or powered off. I did have a quick look, and BIOS time is correct.
I am not sure why you think you will not be able to do some

#7 ·
I will try everything you suggest, and let you know. I will have to learn how to disconnect sata power and sata port. I have never done anything with the hardware inside a computer, except install ram.
I will find out what CMOS is and read the instructions to reset.

#8 ·
What is the make and full model details of the computer
I think it is an Asus
Is it a desktop or a laptop
I originally thought it was a desktop
Looking again I think it maybe a laptop
If it is a laptop please ignore my advice re disconnecting SATA power and port

If it is a laptop, try this
disconnect battery
disconnect power
HOLD down power button for a full 20 seconds
Reconnect mains power only and try again to se if you can now get past BIOS

#10 ·
I presume you missed this part of my previous post
What is the make and full model details of the computer
I think it is an Asus
Is it a desktop or a laptop
I originally thought it was a desktop
Looking again I think it maybe a laptop
If it is a laptop please ignore my advice re disconnecting SATA power and port

#9 ·
That doesn't work unfortunately.
I checked which is the primary ram slot, removed power cord and battery, then both sticks of ram. Waited for a while (just in case that would help) I tried each stick in the primary ram slot.
By doing this I have discovered that when using only the primary ram slot, with either stick, I just get a totally black screen. What do you think about this?
Unfortunately I don't know if this is significant, as I don't remember if this machine originally arrived with 2 x 1Gb, or 1 x 2Gb. I am not sure where to find a reliable accurate answer to that. Sometimes distributors sell models with slightly different specs.
I had decided that if you still thought disconnecting power from sata drive might help, I would ask a pro to do that. I looked up the instructions and decided it would be too risky for me to do it.

#11 ·
It's a 2011 issue of Asus eeepc 1215b 8IVO5OM
1215b is definitely correct. As for rest of numbers and letters on label under laptop, it's hard to distinguish between the number 0 and the letter o. Also between letter l and number 1.

Rest of specs are in an inline image, in first post of this thread.

#12 ·
I apologise for thinking that your computer was a desktop
As I said please forget any idea of disconnecting drive
Please see this and try the possible fixes described
https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/114804

including the external monitor if you have one

#13 ·
Sorry to say, that didn't help. Still stuck in BIOS, still can't even get a response from 'factory reset' key. Nor by selecting 'restore to optimum defaults' in BIOS. Rather than a RAM or graphics card issue, it would seem to be a hard drive issue.

I have been reflecting on what to do, as it's looking like it is a hardware issue. I have decided that if I have killed a perfectly good machine through a combination of dual booting, and ignorance of the damage a newer linux kernel can do, I am hugely grateful to have learned this hard lesson on this machine. Why? Because for the first time in 8 years I have the funds to buy a new laptop, and was considering doing so, as my computing needs have expanded. Had I made these errors on a new machine, I would not have had the funds to replace it for a very long time, and would have felt horrible about the self-inflicted waste.
Not happy with myself for damaging current faithful laptop, but am deciding cost of repair would be best used in buying a new one.

Or am I giving up too soon?

#14 · (Edited)
I doubt if you have caused any damage to other then possibly boot files etc by your attempts to dual boot etc., although of course there is always the possibility that this is merely a coincidence and some aspect of the hardware has failed.

You will not get a progression to the factory reset unless you disable certain settings in BIOS
I will post those shortly, although whilst it may be worth a try, I doubt that is going to help

From your user manual
System Recovery
Disable Boot Booster in BIOS setup before you perform system recovery from USB flash disk, external optical drive or hidden partition.
Boot Booster
The Boot Booster item in BIOS setup helps shorten your Eee PC bootup time. However, you MUST disable this BIOS item before you change any Eee PC components or perform system recovery (from USB flash disk, external optical drive or hidden partition). Follow the instructions below to disable Boot Booster:
1. Start the system and press <F2> on bootup to show the POST screen. Press <F2> again to enter the BIOS setup.
2. Set Boot Booster to [Disabled]
That is on boot tab of BIOS
Boot settings configuration
3. Press <F10> to save the configuration and restart Eee PC.

Ensure to connect your Eee PC to the AC power adapter before using F9 recovery to avoid recovery failure.
Using recovery partition (F9 Recovery)
1. Press <F9> during bootup.
Ensure to press <F9> only once during bootup

#16 · (Edited)
Go back to BIOS
On the MAIN tab is the hard drive shown
If so now go to the boot tab and under the heading boot devices priority what is shown there and in what order

#17 ·
In the boot tab 'boot option priorities' is the fourth line. However that line is not currently possible to select. Can only select one of the first three.
'boot numlock state' which is off,
'full screen logo' which is enabled
'Express gate' which is the boot booster, and is disabled.

#18 ·
I thought
Boot Device Priority was the first line on the page and when you select - it shows the devices in order of priority
Of course I am only going from your user manual, whereas you can actually see the screen

and is the drive shown on the main page

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.