Status
Not open for further replies.

Soundbar connection problems

2K views 31 replies 3 participants last post by  cwwozniak 
#1 ·
My home setup:

- Illico cable box - Videotron, connected to HDMI TV
- HDMI 1 plays the cable channels
- switching to HDMI 2 gives access to internet stuff (Amazon Fire, Chromecast to give me Netflix etc)

Issue: I just bought a soundbar, which, when the RCA sound cables are connected to the cable box gives me soundbar sound for the cable channels, but when connected to the back of the TV (when switching to internet mode) does not give soundbar sound for my internet stuff, Amazon Netflix etc. This soundbar has bluetooth which works fine and was advertised as working with everything including PC's TVs etc.

What is the solution to allow sound from both sources?
Thank you,
Anya

#2 ·
Hi Anya, and welcome to TSG.

Do the TV's internal speakers work properly when watching video sources connected to the HDMI 2 port? If so, check your TV's audio settings to make sure the RCA output jacks are enabled and not muted. If the TV has more than one set of RCA audio jacks make sure you are connecting to the TV audio output and not an input.

If you need more specific assistance, you will need to tell us the specific brands and model numbers of both the TV and the soundbar.

If your soundbar has an HDMI input and an HDMI output labeled "HDMI ARC" -AND- your TV has an HDMI input also labeled "HDMI ARC" there may be a better way to connect your devices than using RCA cables.

#3 ·
Thanks so much fro responding! In response to your first question, the answer is yes. And I am 99% sure I checked the TV RCA settings. I will recheck everything when I get home. The TV only has one set of audio jacks. It really is a puzzle and driving me nuts!

#5 ·
The two RGA jacks on the back of your TV are audio inputs to go along with the analog video inputs above them. The only audio output is a SPDIF optical digital link. You either need a soundbar with an SPDIF input and an SPDIF cable of suitable length or an SPDIF to analog video converter box and a SPDIF cable of suitable length.

Here is a link to some converter boxes that may work for you.
https://www.amazon.ca/s?k=SPDIF+to+analogue+audio+converter

#7 ·
The converter in your link could work, but switching signals around would be a little bit complicated.

1) You could put the converter in line with the HDMI 2 TV input. Your Internet sources would then plug into the converter's HDMI input and the converter's HDMI Pass-thru output would connect to HDMI 2 on the TV. The problem would be that you would need to be switching the soundbar's RCA cables between the cable box and the converter. There are small audio switch boxes available.

2) You feed all of your HDMI sources (Amazon Fire, Chromecast, and cable box) through a suitable HDMI switch box and into the input of the converter. The converter's HDMI Pass-thru output would connect to either HDMI port on the TV. The soundbar then remains connected to the converter's output.

#8 ·
*Groan* Good Lord! You think one day all this will get easier? Can you draw me a diagram LOL.
Anyway, so, I should remove the RCA connectors from the back of the cable box and approach this another way as you suggest?
I have this currently to switch between Chromecast and Amazon Fire stick, very handy:
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B071G4NXNH/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
It wouldn't connect to that would it? I don't think so. I hope you don't mind me continuing a bit - much appreciated. Thanks :)

#10 ·
Chuck, that converter she already has looks like it will convert HDMI to HDMI & SPDIF. I don't believe the SPDIF is capable of acting as input ...

#11 ·
The converter will extract analog L & R audio from the HDMI digital audio passing through it. The connection photo on the Amazon product page shows headphones connecting to the converter's RCA jacks and I would think that the levels would be compatible with driving the line-level inputs of the soundbar. No?

Attachments

#12 ·
Gotcha! You're right. I was thinking of the digital out from the TV. Nevermind ...

#13 · (Edited)
I think I went to a whole new level of "rough" for a rough sketch for connecting everything. Please feel free to ask for clarification.
No - it looks great!! I will print up large and study it. I can't get to the whole mess until the weekend, the area being a tight mess of cables in a very small space - a nightmare to get to. I will definately post my success, which I trust it will be. I mean, with someone whose last name is Wozniak, how can it be otherwise (y) By the way, the connection to the soundbar is not RCA, but an ordinary small jack. Does that matter? Also, I think I need more HDMI cables, if I understand your diagram correctly.

#14 ·
Yes, please share your results when you get things all hooked up.

Is your TV a smart TV that can connect to the Internet with built-in apps to stream programming or are you planning to ever connect an over-the-air antenna to it? If so, the audio from those sources will not play through the soundbar.

#20 ·
I found some specifications on the manufacturer's web site.

http://www.agptek.com/index.php/pro...ractor-converter-hdmi-inputhdmi-audio-output/

The adapter output is listed as 5.0 VDC with a maximum output current of 1.0 Amps. It does not show two key parameters, the inside and outside diameters of the plug (there are about 8 different common combinations of the outside diameter of the plug barrel and the diameter of the opening for the center pin) and the DC polarity (most common is the center pin is +, but a reversed connection could burn out the converter). There is a customer service email link and US phone number at the bottom of the page in the above link. Perhaps they will tell you the connector details if you ask them.

#24 ·
Lest you think I have been rude and not posted my progress or success after all your kind help: I bought the HDMI cables, still looking for the power cable for that converter box thing, but most importantly, impeding real progress, my back went out, and cannot do the gymnastics necessary to get behind the equipment down on my knees to connect everything. *Sigh*

#25 ·
Ouch, sorry to hear about your back. If it's not too painful to sit at your computer and you aren't getting anywhere with AGPtek about identifying the correct AC adapter, you could try a new post in our Do-It-Yourself forum with a subject line of "AC adapter for AGPtek Audio Extractor" Then explain in your post that you need information on the output current of a replacement AC adapter and also the polarity and the inside and outside diameters of the output plug. Hopefully, someone here can recommend a source of a replacement or give you the requested information. Your post should include the link that I had to the ACPtek product page.

#28 ·
Hope your back is much better.

I believe I found a website selling the device in your picture. If so, then, yes, it will do the job of the HDMI extractor in my sketch. Judging from the plug connected to it in the photo, it looks like you may have found it with its AC adapter. Your soundbar would connect to the RCA jacks in place of the headphones in the websites set-up drawing. I believe you will need to set the audio mode switch to the 2CH position.

https://www.blinq.com/detail/electr...plitter-de-embedder-black-pl-ha-tosrca/531101

#31 ·
Of course a great idea! I try too, but time sometimes takes over, something gets shifted to the side, and before you know it, it has become lost, or separated from its matching piece. Anyway, assuming this works - does that mean I have soundbar sound all the time, or is there an option to have TV sound back? Do I just turn off the soundbar with the remote?

#32 ·
I don't know if the extractor interrupts the digital audio feed to the TV or parallels it when extracting the audio for playback through its RCA jacks. If it parallels the digital audio, then the TV and soundbar would both be getting audio feeds and it would be a matter of muting or shutting off what you do not want to output sound.

If the extractor interrupts the audio feed to the TV when using the soundbar, you will need to change the audio switch on the extractor to PASS when you want the TV to play the sound and set to 2CH when you want the soundbar to play the sound.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.