Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

copying old files from server to another

4K views 20 replies 7 participants last post by  AKmath 
#1 ·
In my company we need to move all files and folder older that 7 years ,from server 2012 to NAS and we need to Keep existing folder structure and Keep existing share permissions , Make sure the data is removed from the source as it is moved to the destination also we have long path name issue , it's over (360 c)

Note : we already use robocopy but we have some issues with it now.
can you suggest a powerful tool that can save us ? or how we can solve this by robocopy ?

#2 ·
I was going to suggest robocopy. What issues are you having? I've successfully used it when I was doing a SAN migration during a data center move without issue. You just have to be careful of the flags you set on it or you might accidentally delete data you didn't intend.

The only other way I can think of is to use backup software such as from Commvault, Veritas, Dell, etc. They're not free but since this is a business, you should be looking at data assurance anyways.

#3 ·
I never use "Move", I copy and then go back and "Delete" after I have confirmed that the all of the copy is there.
This will retain the folder structure and permissions, if you do not delete the folders just the files.

Reactions: plodr
#5 ·
Using copy or move in an instance where you have large file transfers where you're talking about thousands upon thousands of files is impractical. This is why robocopy has been the free tool of choice to do such copies. Having moved several hundred GB of data between storage arrays along with having to go back and make sure I captured the most recent files as users are continuously accessing the old array makes doing a simple copy operation too manually intensive and near impossible.

I'm waiting on what issues the OP has had with robocopy to force a move to another tool for the data migration needed.

#8 ·
yes , that's right 360 character ... we have a huge amount of clients data ... a lot of sub-folders so what is the problem in my comment ?
have you never seen path name with 360 c or over ? can u give me your suggestion please to solve the problem ?

#9 ·
I've never seen a 360 character file name and it's crazy to have one that long. Even if you're dealing with client data, it's crazy to have a filename of that length. I'm actually surprised NTFS would support a filename that long. I've worked in various US Federal Agencies and I have never seen a need for filenames of that length. And if anyone can come up with a convoluted reason for doing something off the wall, it's the US Federal government.

#13 ·
TerryNet thanks for your understanding , a friend recommend us program called GS richcopy360 it solved the problem ,
so now we don't have issue with long path names or other issues till now .
Couriant your solution can be considered but it will take so much time .

#14 ·
Couriant your solution can be considered but it will take so much time .
The renaming of the files or a new file folder structure ;)

It may be the only solution and hopefully would knock some senses... I wish I had a better solution.

#16 ·
I didn't mean to rename them back to what they are, but to rename them to a new file structure, then copying over, but at the end of the day, you will need to rename them to something that would be under the limit to do anything with them.

I haven't used robocopy in a long time... can it be used to copy from one server to another?

#17 ·
Yes robocopy can easily copy from server to another
**for example check this command : Robocopy \\server1\data \\server2\data /mir /copyall /dcopy:T
This will create an exact copy of the source folder structure, including all permissions and time stamps. Because it's creating a mirror, it will also delete anything in the destination that doesn't match the source. It is perfect for copying to blank destinations but is potentially hazardous if there is already data there.
**another example : Robocopy \\server1\data \\server2\data /e
this if If you want to copy an entire folder, but don't want to keep the permissions or delete anything from the destination folder

and if you want to learn more and more about robocopy you can check this link https://adamtheautomator.com/robocopy-the-ultimate/
**I have good info about robocopy and I have solved a lot of issues by it as a free tool but there are some points that I discovered that robocopy hard to do like issues in my post so as per sysAdmin friend advice I switched to this program gs richcopy 360 which really do most things in copying world and this is after looked over other alternative copying programs (secure copy quest and teracopy ).

dear couriant :
I appreciate your interest and your help

#18 ·
Akmath , 3 years using the program you mentioned (gsrichcopy 360) , I was have a problem like that with long path names and solved by it also it is so fast and working fine with Multi threading , but do you find a feature in this program that can copy local users from old servers to new one ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.