Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

e-commerce web site

2K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  Xsage 
#1 ·
I want to know the best way to create an e-commerce web application similar to amazon, or eBay, including backend courier application support! Is it good using with frameworks like Shopify, Wordpress or any other frameworks or should I start it from scratch ? how much time? and how many employees should I hire? what i am planning is to build a team for startup so should all the employees be web developers or should be specific? Thanks in advance!!

#2 · (Edited by Moderator)
In order to arrive at the number of programmers to hire and thus how long it takes, you have start by drafting out the specifications first. Then from the specifications, you flesh it out piece by piece until you get some idea of the big pieces of the code required. Then you can start estimating manpower and time.

If you decide to use Shopify or Wordpress, you have some code to start with. Which could be a time saver. Whether or not that code can be manipulated into what you want as an end result is up in the air. Depend on your specs. Allow some time to evaluate what they are capable of, but set a time limit. You don't want to get too much into the details ( which requires time ). Remember you have to evaluate both and the time both tasks takes.

Anyways, start by drawing out the specifications first. Start with the user interface and use cases.

#3 ·
You should first form some type of business plan. This will be your main source for things that you know you need to do and how they will get done.

I think its starts there first then you can figure out what type of man power you'll need to get everything that's in the plan done.

As for scripts and coding the site using something like wordpress or shopify would be a very good head start as you wont need to start from scratch but instead have a strong back bone for the site. Start with getting your main site up i.e the end user then work on the back end of things. You have to also set timeline goals for when you want things done by.

Best of luck and if you have any other question feel free to post them here I'll be glad to try to chime in.

#5 · (Edited)
You should first form some type of business plan. This will be your main source for things that you know you need to do and how they will get done.

I think its starts there first then you can figure out what type of man power you'll need to get everything that's in the plan done.
usa today protonmail
As for scripts and coding the site using something like wordpress or shopify would be a very good head start as you wont need to start from scratch but instead have a strong back bone for the site. Start with getting your main site up i.e the end user then work on the back end of things. You have to also set timeline goals for when you want things done by.

Best of luck and if you have any other question feel free to post them here I'll be glad to try to chime in.
If you decide to use Shopify or Wordpress, you have some code to start with. Which could be a time saver. Whether or not that code can be manipulated into what you want as an end result is up in the air. Depend on your specs. Allow some time to evaluate what they are capable of, but set a time limit. You don't want to get too much into the details ( which requires time ). Remember you have to evaluate both and the time both tasks takes.

#6 · (Edited)
Speaking as someone who has worked professionally in web application security and penetration testing, I think it is worth mentioning that service like Wordpress are generally considered very insecure by default and require a lot of work to configure them properly to secure your application/server. Additionally any plugins you use for it will all come with their own vulnerabilities and will need to constantly be patched, if the creator of the plugin stops working on it and it gets old with no security patches, you can quickly find yourself exposed with large security holes.

That being said if you are considering processing financial data or large amounts of personal data (Names, Email Address, Billing Addresses etc) whether you build you application from scratch or use an exisiting platform to build it, I would highly recommend getting someone with a security and/or compliance background onboard as there may be certain standards you will need to meet within the countries you operate e.g. GDPR & PCI-DSS. You may also need to register with government bodies around data protection and regulatory bodies around finance and e-commerce e.g. Information Comissioners Office (UK), Financial Conduct Authority (UK)

I would estimated if I did it in .NET Core, with 2 full stack developers (this means they are able to handle everything from the infrastructure and systems the application runs on to the back end development to the front end UI) a fairly simple application that is fully secure and tested could be completed within 2 years. A break down of costs would be as follows: (Prices in GBP)
Full Stack .Net Core Developer: ~£50k pa
Server Costs (Azure): ~£4k pa
Legal/Security/Complaince Consultants: ~£60k pa

So for the total 2 years costs of the project for a 2 man team you are looking at about £228,000.

This is assuming the developers can project manage themselves. On top of this cost you may have additional costs such as software licensing, domain registration, SSL certificates, office space etc.

I am also aware that you could probably do it a lot cheaper and quicker, but then you would be sacrificing quality and security.

Once your application and business are up and running you should retain the developers to keep the application up to date, you can then expand and hire support staff, marketing staff and content management staff etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.