Status
Not open for further replies.

what to do with windows home edition

Solved 
1K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  EagleEye75 
#1 ·
Hi

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.9
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1, 64 bit, Build 7601, Installed 20110927142550.000000+060
Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) II X2 220 Processor, AMD64 Family 16 Model 6 Stepping 3, CPU Count: 2
Total Physical RAM: 8 GB
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 6150SE nForce 430, 256 MB
Hard Drives: C: 446 GB (234 GB Free); H: 1863 GB (384 GB Free);
Motherboard: eMachines EL1358
System: American Megatrends Inc., ver ACRSYS - 20110420, s/n PTNCQE2011124046CA3000
Antivirus: Microsoft Security Essentials, Enabled and Updated

What do you suggest is my best course of action with this machine since support has now ended ...any suggestions welcome i am not sure this machine can take windows 10 in its current form but I am open to suggestions.

I would like to spend as little as possible on it but as said I am open to suggestions

thanks in advance.

See less See more
#4 ·
Thanks for posting never tried Linux

Your eMachines EL1358 desktop has a very weak processor and an extremely weak graphics device.

View attachment 274157 View attachment 274158

Regardless of whether you do an "upgrade" install or a "clean" install of Windows 10 Home 64-bit in that desktop, I have doubts that it will work properly.
I also have doubts that all of its primary devices(graphics, audio, ethernet, etc.) will work properly.

That desktop is more than 10 years old and worth less than $100.
Investing money in it would be better spent on a newer and faster refurbished desktop.

---------------------------------------------------------------
Thanks for posting albeit a little counterproductive but thanks Flavallee your personal view has been noted

#3 ·
Your eMachines EL1358 desktop has a very weak processor and an extremely weak graphics device.

Rectangle Font Logo Screenshot Brand
Rectangle Font Parallel Brand Paper product

Regardless of whether you do an "upgrade" install or a "clean" install of Windows 10 Home 64-bit in that desktop, I have doubts that it will work properly.
I also have doubts that all of its primary devices(graphics, audio, ethernet, etc.) will work properly.

That desktop is more than 10 years old and worth less than $100.
Investing money in it would be better spent on a newer and faster refurbished desktop.

#8 ·
Flavallee I get that I understand your responses to ALL are always honest so no worries there

I do agree with Frank that the machine would most likely will not work as you would like. I did a quick search for your drivers and E-Machines only provides Windows 7 drivers. They do show Windows 8 drivers but only for a TV Tuner, which I don't know if you have.

I did a search for your video card and you *might* be lucky in installing a driver from Nvidia to get the video card working correctly, but chances are slim because you will need to find specific drivers for all of the other components.

So as with any upgrade/install, make sure you back up your important files. If you want to see if Windows 10 has basic drivers for the machine, you can do that, but if you are not using the computer for anything other than basic stuff (web, word processing) then I would also suggest Linux.
Thanks very much however considering all that has been said if this machine has a future it is with linux or offline just have no understanding of Linux so will read up and see how it goes.

At the very least, you will probably need to add a low power graphics card to replace its very outdated integrated graphics.

The NVIDIA GeForce GT 710/720/730 models work well for me in old desktops that have a low wattage power supply.

Thanks but doubt any of that would help unless I need to in order to move to Linux ....

Thanks to all for your contribution it is appreciated and wish everyone well

#6 ·
I do agree with Frank that the machine would most likely will not work as you would like. I did a quick search for your drivers and E-Machines only provides Windows 7 drivers. They do show Windows 8 drivers but only for a TV Tuner, which I don't know if you have.

I did a search for your video card and you *might* be lucky in installing a driver from Nvidia to get the video card working correctly, but chances are slim because you will need to find specific drivers for all of the other components.

So as with any upgrade/install, make sure you back up your important files. If you want to see if Windows 10 has basic drivers for the machine, you can do that, but if you are not using the computer for anything other than basic stuff (web, word processing) then I would also suggest Linux.

#7 ·
At the very least, you will probably need to add a low power graphics card to replace its very outdated integrated graphics.

The NVIDIA GeForce GT 710/720/730 models work well for me in old desktops that have a low wattage power supply.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.