Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

CPU Fan error

Solved 
605 views 14 replies 5 participants last post by  managed 
#1 ·
Hey all,

So, everything was just fine with my prebuilt PC until I got that CPU Fan error thing.

At first, I used to bypass it by restarting the PC several times until this screen goes away and login normally.

I made a complete hardware cleaning to remove dust and such as this maybe the reason behind this error, but still the problem is there.

My BIOS is updated and I did a "clear CMOS" by removing the battery for 5 mins. and putting it again but nothing happened, problem is still there.

Using AIDA64 I looked into the V12 of my PSU, it's good, 11.9xx.

Also, two times since yesterday, the PC was shutting down immediately after powering up.

My PC specs is as follows,

CPU : AMD FX-9590
Motherboard : Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z
Cooling Unit : Cooler Master Hyper 212X
GPU : AMD Radeon RX 560 4GB
Memory : 32GB, 4x Kingston HyperX 8GB

Thanks in advance.

See less See more
#2 ·
Likely a faulty fan or the fan is connected incorrectly or the cable is loose.

The cpu fan typically connects directly to the motherboard in a specific "cpu fan" header. The motherboard monitors the cpu fan speed to protect the cpu from overheating.

#3 ·
Thanks for your reply.

Here are some updates which may help in my case

- The PC barely started working today, always shutdown before that error appears or while booting up/entering the BIOS.

- When the PC booted into Windows once today, the fans were super quiet although they were adjusted to "Standard" and not "Silent", the silence was up-normal and here are some reading from the BIOS,

https://ibb.co/PcSZ9GS

- I've noticed that when I adjust the CPU and Chassis fans to "Turbo" the temperature increases till the PC freezes.

- Was converting some videos for the family, the PC freezes when it reach 65C - 70C although it's set in the BIOS to protect from overheat at 90C- 100C.

- The PC is running smoothly now by putting a large fan in front of the open chassis and setting the fans speed to "Silent".

#4 ·
Here is a small update but I think it will put the last nail in my issue's coffin,

I've stopped using the desk table fan and set the fan speed/mode into "Silent", the PC restarted and on the 2nd windows login, I've got an warning that the CPU temp. is 65C so I raised the fan speed to "Standard"

No load were done during that temperature rise, just web-browsing.

Also, mainly on the restarts, I don't see that CPU Fan error and sometimes also on the first boot-up.

#5 ·
Have you confirmed the Cpu fan is actually spinning when the error is shown on the screen ?

Also as mentioned is the fan cable plugged in to the correct fan header on the motherboard ?

#7 ·
I edited my previous post to add "Also as mentioned is the fan cable plugged in to the correct fan header on the motherboard ?"

As long as the Cpu fan is spinning when it should it's probably ok.

It would be a good idea to apply new thermal paste to the Cpu heatsink and ensure it's fitted properly when you put it back.

#9 ·
It may not affect the Cpu fan error message but it should help keep the CPU temperature lower and that could stop the freezing.

You may be able to turn the error message off in the Bios but I wouldn't do it until you're sure the temps are ok.

Just to confirm, is the cpu fan connected to the correct header ?

#11 · (Edited)
You could get another fan for your 212X to make sure it is not going out, Do you have a fan controller on it? You could put another fan on the back side to make it push pull. Those FX9590 run hot. From AMD Com :AMD.COM

"Warning: This power draw of this CPU is almost twice that of the average CPU. Due to this, AMD recommends using at minimum a 1000W power supply. For cooling, AMD recommends using either closed loop liquid cooling or full system liquid cooling".

You might try a Noctua NH-D14 or a scythe mugen 5, From what I read that 9590 starts throttling at 66C.

#12 ·
Finally, problem solved.

The problem was the cooler's fan, it was not rotating freely when I spin it compared to the fans of the case for example.

So I've replaced that failed fan with one of the two case fan's and it works well.

I faced an small issue with it today as it was rotating at nearly 5xx rpm while on "Silent" mode and got the same error, so I simply lowered the minimum speed limit to 500.

Also, my back panel fan was having that CPU Fan error, this was due to putting that fan on control a.k.a. user control, so I disabled the control and made it automatic up to the system from the BIOS.

Thanks all of you for helping me out, it's greatly appreciated.

Have a nice day :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.