Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Computer locking up

833 views 27 replies 2 participants last post by  Macboatmaster 
#1 ·
Imma go ahead and front load this with the SysInfo

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.9
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro, 64 bit, Build 18363, Installed 20200115205017.000000-360
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2500 CPU @ 3.30GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 42 Stepping 7, CPU Count: 4
Total Physical RAM: 4 GB
Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics, 1802 MB
Hard Drives: C: 110 GB (58 GB Free); D: 218 GB (0 GB Free); E: 0 GB (0 GB Free); F: 441 GB (7 GB Free);
Motherboard: ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3
System: American Megatrends Inc., ver ALASKA - 1072009, s/n To Be Filled By O.E.M.
Antivirus: Windows Defender, Enabled and Updated

So, the last month has been a tough time with my computer. Late last month, while playing a game, I started getting a black screen followed by my monitor saying that the signal was lost. This would only happen in games. I tried plugging the GPU into the other slot, same issue. I tried to unplug the GPU entirely and plug the monitor straight into the on board graphics. Problem wouldn't replicate. Figured I had found the culprit, my GPU. Threw down money and bought a brand new GPU. I was replacing the old Nvidia 970 with a Radeon RX 5700. Of the XFX variety. My first ever AMD GPU. Got it and excitedly plugged it in. The game no longer caused those black screens to happen. After some time, however, a new problem would occur.

Seemingly at random, my computer will lock up. Screen frozen. Sounds still playing, but no input working. A hard reboot required. I have tried mucking with my RAM, which is why only one 4GB stick is still in the machine.

Thinking maybe my SSD could be the reason, I tried a myriad of different tests. Crystal Disk Info puts the SSD at Unknown 100%. HD Sentinel states that "Problems occurred between the communication of the disk and the host 54 times." I have tried using completely different SATA and power cables with the SSD, the SATA cable plugged into a different port than the last.

I would like to say I am knowledgeable at computers, but I guess I am not THAT knowledgeable. I would much appreciate some helpful people help fix this issue.

See less See more
#28 ·
I do not think it is the PSU
My money unless the board is on the CPU
Have you tried the cleaning and reapplying thermal for the CPU and checking most carefully with a magnifying glass or similar for bent pins.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.