Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wanting to clean my E: drive

562 views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  crjdriver 
#1 · (Edited)
Long story made short: some time ago I upgraded a tired old AMD system by changing some components (ram, gpu, hd,etc.
I installed a Samsung SSD as drive C: by migrating the system from the 2TB HD that came in the system. The HD was assigned E: Now, months later I'd like to wipe that HD. It still has all the files that were migrated.
The data I have backed up but my concern is if I disappear the system files I might cause problems. When I did the migration I turned off the machine, unplugged the E: drive and restarted without problems. I probably should have dealt with the spinner then but left it in operation as storage. Can I disconnect it noe without causing problems?

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.9
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 64 bit, Build 18363, Installed 20190930080947.000000-480
Processor: AMD A10-7800 Radeon R7, 12 Compute Cores 4C+8G, AMD64 Family 21 Model 48 Stepping 1, CPU Count: 4
Total Physical RAM: 16 GB
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti
Hard Drives: C: 417 GB (276 GB Free); E: 1831 GB (1608 GB Free);
Motherboard: LENOVO Bantry CRB, ver SDK0J40709 WIN, s/n R302BZKN
System: LENOVO, ver LENOVO - 1380, s/n R302BZKN
Antivirus: Windows Defender, Enabled
STARTUP DEVICES
SATA 1:Samsung SSD (Windows boot manager) Boot disk
SATA 4: Seagate 2T (Windows boot manager)
Startup boot mode UEFI
Thanks for your kind advice! :sneaky:

See less See more
#2 ·
First open the system and pull the pw connector from your spin drive. Now pw ON and be sure everything works. I would restart at least one time. If all is well, pw OFF and reconnect your spin drive. Go to disk management and delete all partitions on the drive. Create one and format as ntfs [should be the only option as to format]
Done.

#3 ·
Ok I did the checks and went into the disk manager. It allowed me to delete and format the second partition but I couldn't touch the other three. The mchine runs fine though so I'll use it as is. Only denied access to 3 healthy partitions totaling around 3GB. Than ks for the help!

#4 ·
You are welcome. Are you running disk management as admin? You can also wipe the drive with the drive mfg's diagnostic. You can download this from whomever mfg the drive ie WD, Seagate, etc. Once the drive is blank, you should be able to create a single partition and format; giving you use of the complete drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.