Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Not enough IPS

591 views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Couriant 
#1 ·
I am currently trying to set up new Internet connections for the six desktops and printer that I work for. After speaking with my ISP I only have five individual IP address is to use is there a workaround? I have a router set up for Wi-Fi and a couple spare gigabit switches.

#2 ·
If you need more than five Public IP addresses you need to contract for more than five. If your ISP has a strict limit maybe you need another ISP or switch to a different one.

If you need more than five Private IP addresses why/how is your ISP restricting you?

#3 ·
What would be the reason for 5 public ip's? As Terry also said, if you need more than 5 you can purchase them from your ISP. But, most people and indeed business' never use more than 1.

I suspect that 5 is the minimum you can get. Is that correct? How are the printer and the 6 desktops connected? Via WiFi or cabled? If cabled, are you using a switch or a router?

If possible you should, unless you really need public IP's, connect all the desktops and the printer to the router. If the router doesn't have enough LAN connections you can purchase 8 port GB switch fairly cheaply. THen connect the cables from the desktops to the switch and connect the switch to the router.

#4 ·
Businesses can use most of the 5 public IPs for their servers, but if you are either an individual (residential) or a small business that needs 1 IP then you should address that because you are probably paying for more than you need.

If this is meant to be for internal network use, you need a router and possibly switch to accommodate your needs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.