Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Game lags at certain points. Have Task Manager GPU info

590 views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  phixgrrrl 
#1 ·
I dont play often now (chronic illness) but I have a decent system. And I was playing the re-creation of the PT demo (Eg, Silent Hills) fan made from Unreal, and noticed some places, while moving, everything will just stop (lag) and takes 6 secs or so to move again.
Well, I cntl/Alt/del to task manager, which showed me the 3d tab was at 100%, GPU at about 80%. Also, only 2 of the 10 gb of my GPU from my vid card was allocated to the game, and wondering why, and if that's changeable.

These are the specs rec'd. My ram is ddr3. And I dont know how my amd cpu compares to the intel
(Minimum Tested Specs:
CPU: i3-7100U 7th Generation with Intel HD 620
GPU: Integrated
RAM: 8GB DDR4
HQ SSR Turned off and resolution at 35% gets ~30fps with these specs)

I've attached a Task Manager screenshot.

And, why is the 3d portion totally maxed out? Also, how is that different or singled out from the other tabs present related to the card?
Another less important, maybe game related issue is my gamepad isn't recognized at all.

Drivers are current as of last month.

Also attached DX info.

-------------------------

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.9
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 64 bit, Build 18363, Installed 20200123001137.000000-360
Processor: AMD FX(tm)-6300 Six-Core Processor, AMD64 Family 21 Model 2 Stepping 0, CPU Count: 6
Total Physical RAM: 16 GB
Graphics Card: AMD Radeon HD 7800 Series
Hard Drives: C: 446 GB (398 GB Free); D: 0 GB (0 GB Free); E: 698 GB (634 GB Free); F: 297 GB (281 GB Free); H: 931 GB (581 GB Free);
Motherboard: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. 970A-D3P, ver x.x, s/n To be filled by O.E.M.
System: American Megatrends Inc., ver ALASKA - 1072009, s/n To be filled by O.E.M.
Antivirus: Avira Antivirus, Enabled and Updated

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
I'm not familiar with that game, but before you start wondering what's wrong with your system, use/test with a commercially released game or benchmark software. From past experience, when dealing with fan made releases, hiccups are often fan induced issues and don't reflect on your PC or the actual game.

As for the GPU RAM allocation, that was likely all that the game needed.

As for the controller issue, it's likely not supported by the game. Setup and test the controller in Windows. If you then launch the game and it's not found, it's very likely a game issue.

#3 · (Edited)
Danielle:

You should focus on "recommended" and not "minimum" requirements when researching a game.

You should also get rid of Avira Antivirus and stick with Windows 10's built-in antivirus app: Windows Security aka Windows Defender.

I'm not a gamer, so I'll leave you with Jim.

Frank

---------------------------------------------------------------

#4 ·
I will try 3d mark then and see how that goes.
But why is my 3d tab maxed out? Does that mean a certain amount of memory is for 3d?
And yes controllers are supported by the demo.
Yes, I'm aware of the rec'd req's. However, these are all that was posted on his page.
And it's very odd as I don't even use Avast. I use Avira. There is no trace of anything by Avast on my system.

#7 ·
I did 4 3d mark tests. The one my system choked on was the DX12 hi rez test (Timespy) and the cpu test in Night Raid. Others were fine.
I don't think the PT demo was that demanding. First person 3d hallways. No crazy lights or many moving objects at all. Was an abandoned house with a ghost, running blood, moving eyeballs, one mirror reflection, some colored lights (though one at a time) and a talking fetus and a talking bloody bag. (It is Silent Hill after all).
Thanks for that about the 3d issue. I suppose that means that part is ok.

Attachments

#8 · (Edited)
I had the HD 7870 and 7850 in a few rigs back in the day great cards, though not actually a native 'hardware' DX 12 capable cards IIRC some have been able to get it to run DX 12 with certain drivers, and then some with R7 cards which are rebranded and tweaked HD 7000 cards have been able to run DX12. Likely you'll have better luck with a newer card that really does support DX12 in hardware like a GTX 1050/1050ti or GTX 1650/TI/Super/ AMD RX 570. Though for one game not worth upgrading if other games you play are fine. You CPU though older is fine for now at least it's a 6 core processor even if on the older lower IPC FX platform. Plenty are doing ok with that processor still and a GTX 1060/1650 is a perfect match for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.