Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Freezing at motherboard splash screen

3K views 27 replies 5 participants last post by  Macboatmaster 
#1 ·
Hello,

Recently I've noticed my storage on my m.2 is getting low so i figured getting a new m.2 ssd with more storage.
I know my laptop uses a 2280 sata m.2 so i figured a 860 evo would do the trick.

now for the problem
After installing the 860 evo it gets stuck on the motherboard splash screen. I'm not able to disable the splash screen to see what it's saying.
first thing that came in my mind is the m.2 card is faulty. So i got my m.2 adapter plugged it into another pc and it worked fine externally after formatting the drive. I've also replaced the cmos battery just in case. but no luck either. I have to mention that my old m.2 will work so it's not a faulty connector either.

I've been searching on the internet for a few days but can't really find anyone els with this sort of problem.

#2 · (Edited)
What please is the make and full model of the laptop
If possible send the serial number please usually on the base of the laptop, possibly underneath the battery, if of the removable sort

Is this Samsung 860 EVO the OS drive or ONLY a storage drive

What capacity is the 860

If it is the OS drive have you cloned the previous M2 to the new one or are you intending to proceed on some other method

#3 ·
What please is the make and full model of the laptop
If possible send the serial number please usually on the base of the laptop, possibly underneath the battery, if of the removable sort

Is this Samsung 860 EVO the OS drive or ONLY a storage drive

What capacity is the 860

If it is the OS drive have to cloned the previous M2 to the new one or are you intending to proceed on some other method
Laptop model is a asus rog gl702vm

I do have a harddrive installed aswell but it's not boodable if you mean by boot device.

Capacity of the m.2 is 1tb

Problem is that it's not getting past the mb splash screen with this ssd installed. Works fine externally.

oem m.2 ( able to get past the mb splash screen)

new m.2 ( unable to get past the mb splash screen )

#4 ·
Hello and welcome to TSG!!

Have you installed an operating system on the new drive? Or cloned the old drive to the new?
Can you strike a key to get to a boot menu? Probably <F2> or <Esc>.

#5 ·
Thanks!

I cloned my os from the oem m.2 to the new m.2 using an adapter.
And no nothing happens when pressing F2 or Esc.

Today i've installed a new cmos battery because i thought it might have something to do with the cable not looking in the greates condition but with no result.

let me also note that the bios is up-to-date version: 310

#10 ·
I cannot see any reason
I do not believe that your laptop will not accept a 1TB M2 SSD
I recommend you start again with the SAMSUNG data migration
I have seen this succeed when other 3rd party clones etc have failed on M2 drives
As both slots will accept M2 SSD drive interface I suggest you use the internal slots
https://www.samsung.com/semiconductor/minisite/ssd/download/tools/

#11 · (Edited)
I'll try that

However i don't think it's a software issue.
Even if nothing is on the m.2 it should go to the bios but it doesn't it get's stuck at the mb splash screen.

If i use my oem ssd it does not get stuck,
If i use nothing it does not get suck,
If i use the new ssd without os or partitions it get stuck at mb splash screen,
If i use the new ssd with os and partitions it also get's stuck at mb splash screen,
Also my laptop has one m.2 slot

#12 ·
When I have a problem like this, I like to narrow it down by removing any variables. The first thing I would do is to remove the SSD and see if you can go through POST and boot into the BIOS/UEFI setup. If it does, then it's most likely an issue with the SSD. I'd then wipe the SSD and see if you can go past the part that it's freezing. Perhaps try and do a clean installation of Windows via USB on the drive and see what happens. It could be a compatibility issue, a hardware fault or software issue related to the clone. If it works fine with a clean installation, then you know that it's a problem with the clone.

#13 ·
Thanks for your reply.

I am able to go through post after removing the ssd.
The part where it freezes is the motherboard splash screen ( first thing you see when you power on the pc )

I have an m.2 adapter to usb. ( externaly ) It's able to connect with my pc and install software so know it's not a faulty ssd.

Seems more like a compatibility issue, it's strange that i'm not able to find anything about this online

Just a thought though, could it have something to do with the 'oem ssd' being 3d-nand and the 860 beign v-nand?
or my RAM not releasing memory when powered off and trying to connect to my new m.2 with corrupt data

#14 ·
I thought your laptop had two M2 slots
That is the problem one often encounters without the serial number
as I suggested you send

I thought there was something on the New M2 as you had I thought cloned it
If I am wrong I apologise.

#16 · (Edited)
I thought your laptop had two M2 slots
That is the problem one often encounters without the serial number
as I suggested you send

I thought there was something on the New M2 as you had I thought cloned it
If I am wrong I apologise.
No worries you're only trying to help me and i'm thankful for that.
I might've explained it a bit weirdly

picture of the back:

Could it be that my ram is not compatible with my ssd?

The only thing I can think of is that the Samsung SSD is not compatible with your laptop, but I can't find anything that indicates this on the net ...
The old ssd is a samsung one aswell:
https://www.cnet.com/products/samsung-cm871a-mznty128hdhp-solid-state-drive-128-gb-sata-6gb-s/

uses the same firmware as the 860 evo

#15 ·
I tend to agree with chiba46. It does seem to be a hardware issue. Or, at least, compatibility.

#22 · (Edited)
#23 ·
Only other thing I can think of is to reset the Cmos by removing the Cmos battery (and the main battery) for a few minutes with the new SSD the only drive connected.
Done this no result.

Also i've tryed to replace ram cards but again no result.
aswell as turning secure boot off.

What did seem to works is when i have the m.2 externally with my os installed it does boot. it's when the m.2 is installed internally is when the problem arises.
I'll try and contact samsung tomorrow, i'll keep you guys updated on the result.

#24 ·
As Macboatmaster indicated, have you tried to down flash your BIOS? Do you know what version you are currently running?

#26 ·
That seems to be the gist of the thread referenced above on the asus.com support forum. People had reverted to a lower version (3.05 or 3.06, I think) and some of the issues they were seeing went away.

#28 ·
It does seem as though for some reason that M2 SSD is not compatible I do not think it is anything to do with the version of the M2
Have you thought of asking Asus if that board will take a 1TB M2
I have read of Asus suggesting it will not

Also have you tried disabling secure boot in the firmware, that MAY have an effect when the M2 is the boot drive

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.