Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

New system, blue screens & random reboots

1K views 18 replies 3 participants last post by  FreeRangeScotto 
#1 ·
Hi everyone, Free Range Scotto from Australia saying G'day!

I have a problem with a new system I just built for a client and I'm open to suggestions while I work through things. So, here's the rub...

Specs:

Ryzen 5 2600 CPU
Gigabyte A320M-H MB
16GB (2 x 8GB) G.Skill Sniper DDR4
RX570 8GB video card
WD Green 240GB M.2 boot drive
WD Blue 2TB HDD
Thermaltake Smart RGB 600watt PSU

Now there's been 3 blue screens today (loads yesterday) all with the usually innocuous messages such as page fault in no paged area, IRQ is less or not equal, trying to write to protected memory or something. It seemed to settle down after a fresh install of Windows although we had the protected memory one almost straight away.

Ran Memtest for hours until completion and no errors, the hard drives seem to check out, temps are all good, BIOS updated to the latest. Now it's just restarting at random but no blue screens. For instance I was running Ryzen Master to look at the temps and load etc then boom! Restart but no blue screen. It does this with anything that is open. It's probably doing it with nothing running but it's pretty quick so I could be missing it.

I'm yet to check the Event Viewer but in the meantime would it be a fair assumption to suspect the motherboard is playing funny buggers? I am thinking about trying an install on a standard SSD and see if that makes any difference, why? Because there's never been any issue outside of Windows.

Cheers!

See less See more
#2 ·
When you installed windows did you have the 2TB hooked up? I have seen 10 do strange things when installing to a boot drive with other drives connected. Did you put the Win 10 installation on a USB with the creation tool? I have heard that a guy had problems with that and ended up using Rufus to set up 10 on his USB to get it to work right. I just upgraded two of my PC's from Win 7 to 10. I downloaded the creation tool, made a install USB stick for my laptop later and ran the tool from windows 7 for an in place upgrade keeping all my programs and files. It went perfect on my two 2011 vintage PC's.

#4 ·
When you installed windows did you have the 2TB hooked up? I have seen 10 do strange things when installing to a boot drive with other drives connected. Did you put the Win 10 installation on a USB with the creation tool?
Only had the M.2 in, I never have any other drives hooked up when installing Windows for the very reason you state. Used the Creation tool to set up the USB (I've used this method for literally hundreds of installations without issue).

You have some pretty miss-matched parts;
True but the CPU and board were sold as a bundle but this was a client build who wanted something that could play games but they didn't have a lot of money so they selected the parts based on that. I have built similar machines to this before and not had a problem (but there's always a first time!)

I will grab the downloads you mention and post back with results later on.

#3 · (Edited)
You have some pretty miss-matched parts; a 320 chipset board is an entry level motherboard. Attempting to run a gaming type video card with a low end motherboard is just asking for problems. The green and blue series drives from WD drives from WD are again lower end drives. From WD, the black series is their high end units. Your pw supply seems decent however the specs list only 42 amp on the 12V rail; somewhat low for a 600W unit.

Here is a link to the support page for your board;
https://www.gigabyte.com/us/Motherboard/GA-A320M-H-rev-11/support#dl
Download and install system information viewer. Note you must install app center prior to installing svi. Post the following info from svi; cpu temp, 12V, 5V, and 3.3V values. Do this twice; once under a normal load and also while running a stress test. You can use any number of free stress test programs; I like prime95 however you can use OCCT, realbench or any other stress testing program.

#5 ·
I saw where if you install on a new hard drive with 1909 don't hook up the internet until you are ready to do the updates. Can't remember why right now.

#8 ·
FWIW I always use a local account on all of my personal systems.
Same here :)

Here's an update.

So I tore the machine down completely and put the motheboard on a testbench stand (just the MB and CPU), then added a known working SSD and installed Windows, all good and was stable all day. So I then added the video card and again, nice and stable. Then I added the PCIe wifi card and the machine had a complete skitz out, blinking screen, completely unusable (but no crashes, I didn't leave it on).

So I removed the wifi card but the behaviour continued so I disconnected that drive and put the M.2 back in and have been running stable with the Ryzen diagnostic thing for a couple of hours now. I'm going to add the wifi card back tomorrow and see what happens.

If it buggers things up I think we have the culprit. If not, then poo.

#14 ·
I would try a different slot. You can even install a pci-e 1 card in a 4 slot.
Only has one full size PCIe being used by the video card and one small one.

Annoyingly it crashed again yesterday without the wifi NIC installed so back to square one. Sigh.

Starting to think it's the motherboard so instead of wasting anymore time I might RMA it and be done with it.

#18 ·
Alright, I'm feeling a tad frustrated.

Put the NEW motherboard in (B450) plus a NEW Ryzen 5 2600 and guess what? Crash after crash during Windows setup!! What the actual? Oh and a NEW M.2 drive.

So I tried a different GPU (and older GTX660), still crashed. I've now removed the RAM and have one stick of different RAM in and we'll see how we go.

I've never had so much trouble with a system.

#19 ·
I don't want to speak too soon but I think things may be stable. If it stays stable and crash free the culprit will be the RAM, not faulty just didn't play well with the AMD chipset. I put some Corsair DDR4 in and that settled things right down. Interestingly I set up another machine (i7 9700 on B365 chipset) and while it has its own issue (no drives being detected on any SATA ports), it showed promise that it was going to behave with the RAM that was troublesome.
How ironic that I still have to RMA a motherboard but it's not the one I was sure it was going to be!
Going to run some benchmarks for stability tests. Keep your fingers crossed!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.