Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Windows 10 Home Edition -- Where is the "Cookies" folder?

1K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  LoveGoldens 
#1 ·
I'm using Windows 10 Home Edition 64-bit. I'm hoping someone will tell me why I can't locate the "Cookies" folder (anywhere) on this system. I could do it in Windows 7 Professional. I've checked the "Show hidden files..." and unchecked the "Hide system files, etc.." and then did a search of my entire "C:\" hard drive using Windows Explorer (not Internet Explorer).

MS won't allow me to open any of the folders which may/may not be the one I need in order to see all the cookies on my own system. I own this computer!

#3 ·
Thank you Fireflycph for your reply.

Once again, I turned on my "Show hidden files..." and also allowed access to my system files.
But, after following the path [you provided] to the INetCookies folder, it was locked as "Hidden;" that checkbox was greyed-out and could not be "unhidden!" Typical MS. Apparently, I would have to mess around with "Permissions." and risk the possibility of doing something wrong so, I didn't try. I don't have sufficient knowledge with such things.

I guess this is just one more of the myriad things MS stripped out of Windows 10 (compared to Windows 7) so that they maintain control over my system. Worst OS I've ever had.

Thanks for trying. --I'm still open to suggestions from other forum members if there are other viable alternatives.

#4 ·
Here's the solution without the MS bashing.

Open the Start menu and search for 'Internet Options'

On the 'General' tab, under browsing history, choose 'settings'

On the Dialog box that opens, select 'View files'.

This opens the folder containing your cookies.

Press 'ctl-a' to select all the cookies in the folder. Hit 'Delete' and you're done.

In Chrome, you can do this from the browser.

#5 ·
after following the path [you provided] to the INetCookies folder, it was locked as "Hidden;" that checkbox was greyed-out and could not be "unhidden!"
Are you saying you weren't able to open it when double-clicking the INetCookies folder? It does still have the hidden attribute grayed out but you should still be able to open the folder. However, even when you open it you won't be able to tell what they are unless you open each one individually. Jagsthecat's method will show you who the cookies belong to without having to open them. That way it's much eastier to identify and delete them if you wish.

#6 ·
Thanks for your replies and the graphical steps. Much appreciated!

--I've attached an image which might explain the issue I was having and why I am frustrated with Windows 10. I can't change how they do things so, I'll let this topic end.
Note: Actually, my search term was "cookie" (without the quotes).
Font Rectangle Screenshot Parallel Number

#7 ·
Firefox cookies are stored in a file called cookies.sqlite in your Firefox profile but you can't view them from there.

Open Firefox - Tools - Options - Privacy and Security - then on the right side look under Cookies and Data and click on Manage Data and you will see the cookies listed there.

#9 ·
I've always known that Firefox shows cookies in its Privacy settings tab. I delete some cookies from that list everyday!

My original post, and each of my replies after it, all pertained to the Windows OS itself. Because this Windows 10 OS is relatively new to me, I didn't realize that Windows doesn't store cookies; only browsers store cookies. I expected and tried to use Windows' 'Search' tool and also the Windows ('file) Explorer to search my entire Hard Disk Drive for "cookies." At least, now I know those methods are useless. It seems to me that since cookies are actual files, Windows Explorer should be able to find the Folder which contains Cookies [which can be opened and viewed in a list), just like Firefox presents them. If I remember correctly, I could do that years ago with Windows 7 Pro?

Anyway, my grateful thanks to all of you. I give up. So, this Topic can be closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.