Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Microsoft Wants to do Away with Windows 10 Local Accounts

942 views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  crjdriver 
#1 ·
Microsoft Wants to do Away with Windows 10 Local Accounts

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/ne...ts-to-do-away-with-windows-10-local-accounts/

Microsoft wants you in the cloud

As Windows 10 evolves, much of its functionality and features are tied to the cloud and your Microsoft Account.

Whether it be Your Phone, OneDrive, Office integration, Xbox, and the Microsoft Store, without a Microsoft Account Windows 10 is not as feature-rich.

Due to this, it makes sense for Microsoft to push users towards a Microsoft account rather than a local one to take advantage of all these integrated services.

Even more important, though, is all the juicy data that Microsoft can collect from a user utilizing all of their cloud-based services.

By utilizing a Microsoft account, Microsoft has greater visibility into what you are doing, searching for, and using to improve their software and promote new offerings.

While much of this data collection can be slimmed down, with our data being treated as currency, the more they can get the better.
'Free' usually has a price :cool:

Reactions: 2twenty2
#2 ·
After I do a clean install of Windows 10, I remove most of the 40+ bloatware apps that come in it.
That includes the Phone, OneDrive, Office, Xbox, Microsoft Store apps you mentioned.
I also turn off Cortana and the privacy settings.
It makes Windows 10 run better, and with less snooping on what I do.
(y)

--------------------------------------------------------------

#3 ·
I've done the same :)

But the intended trend for new installs seems to be focusing towards setting up MS accounts according to the article.

I didn't give it much thought when I installed Win 10 1903, but I did it all offline until the request for the Product Key.
It just seemed a more secure way to install an OS.

#4 ·
I installed versions 1909 and 2004 of Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, and both allowed me to complete the setup without forcing me to use a Microsoft account.

About the only time I use a Microsoft account is when I need to log into the Insider Preview website.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.