Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Is W7 really going ?

2K views 21 replies 7 participants last post by  flavallee 
#1 ·
Have been following Flavallee posts on W7 which said that Microsoft will not support W7 after 14th Jan.
However, I am still getting daily MSE updates ? Last one 23/1/20. I was about to uninstall MSE and put in a 3rd party anti virus programme before I changed to W10. I may hold on for a while. What is going on ?

#3 ·
That MS link also states
Microsoft will continue to release signature updates (including engine) to service systems currently running Microsoft Security Essentials untill 2023.
Seemed a bit vague to me.

Does that mean the 'engine' is also updated, or that it's just there for a possible re-install of MSE?

#11 ·
The engine and daily definitions for MSE will be updated for Windows 7 until 2023. (The year Windows 8.1 reaches the end of Extended Support.) On a somewhat unrelated note, MS says that they will provide updates to MS Edge Chromium for at least 18 months. This is to get people off of legacy IE and on to a modern browser. The only reason why I could think they would release Edge Chromium for Windows 7.

But Windows 7 as an OS will no longer get OS or security updates.

Jack

#8 ·
Terryl:

I don't know which of my threads you've been reading about Windows 7, but you might want to read this particular thread:
https://forums.techguy.org/threads/attention-windows-7-sp1-users-please-read.1238699/

If you plan to do an upgrade install from Windows 7 to Windows 10, uninstalling MSE before you start the upgrade install is advisable.
However, do NOT replace it with a third-party antivirus app before you start the upgrade install.
Besides a third-party antivirus app possibly causing the upgrade process to fail, Windows 10 does better with its own built-in antivirus app.

---------------------------------------------------------------

#19 ·
I wish I had read about uninstalling 3d party Antivirus before upgrading to Win 10 but I guess I was lucky. I upgraded both my socket 775 machines that had Avast antivirus on them and had no issues, kept all my programs and data. I think what helped mine is I had recent video cards and Programs that came out after windows 10 came out so 10 was able to find drivers and update everything. I will probably get rid of Avast soon and go to the defender. As far as IE browser , I have gone to Edge at work because some sites have changed and wont even work with IE anymore.

#9 ·
Hi Flavallee, my plan was to buy a new desktop with W10 pro. I am going to use W7 for awhile since MSE is still being updated (I understand until 2023) and my browser is Firefox. I have been using W7 for 9 trouble free years, I don't think I want to change it yet. I was told to ignore the hyperbole.

#10 ·
Microsoft's "fearmongering" campaign about Windows 7 has been aggressive because of its goal to move everyone to Windows 10.
Certain versions of Windows 7 will probably be safe to use for another 9 - 36 months, depending on how well users maintain it and keep it up-to-date.

MSE is the antivirus app that I use in Windows 7 because it's light-weight and user-friendly.
Although Microsoft will no longer update it to a new version, it promises to keep the definition files for version 4.10.209.0 up-to-date.
Firefox is what I use as a secondary browser.
It's unknown right now if the IE browser will continue to be updated as post-EOL updates are released.

----------------------------------------------------------------

#12 ·
Flav,

Do you think you will try MS Edge-Chromium for Windows 7, or just keep Firefox as your main browser? I heard that IE 11 will only get emergency patches on Windows 10, because of "Windows 10 as a service for the life of the device on which it runs." People should be using anything BUT IE as their main browser at this point.

Jack

#14 · (Edited)
On temporary/minimal 'Life Support'?.....Sounds a bit risky to me.

Also,
Will Win 10 continue be free to Win 7 users until 2023, is a real consideration.

Off line, it doesn't matter very much.
But being as secure as possible on the Internet, it does matter.

And there are alternatives to MS operating systems many see as more secure to begin with.

#15 ·
#20 ·
I try to avoid doing an "upgrade" install from Windows 7 to Windows 10 because too many things can go wrong and cause the upgrade to fail.
I prefer a "clean" install and fresh start anyway.

Even though I have the most current version (11.0.175) of Internet Explorer, I've also noticed a few sites announcing they no longer support it.
Because of that, I use Mozilla Firefox as a secondary browser.

#21 · (Edited)
I try to avoid doing an "upgrade" install from Windows 7 to Windows 10 because too many things can go wrong and cause the upgrade to fail.
I prefer a "clean" install and fresh start anyway.

Even though I have the most current version (11.0.175) of Internet Explorer, I've also noticed a few sites announcing they no longer support it.
Because of that, I use Mozilla Firefox as a secondary browser.

I did an upgrade to Windows 10 on 5 of my systems with no issues and all five are running great. Now that I'm on Windows 10 I find myself missing Windows 7 . So out of my hardware hoards I built a system for Windows 7. Now I have the best of both worlds. I used Firefox for a long time but I run Slimjet now. Built from Chrome open source.

#22 ·
When Windows 10 was released in July 2015, I kept Windows 7 installed in all of my full-time computers.
But I installed Windows 10 in one of my test computers so I could become proficient with it.
When I replaced my refurbished minitowers with newer faster ones, I purchased them with Windows 10.
After 4-1/2 years and more than 100 installs of Windows 10, I can completely set up and configure a computer from scratch within a few hours.
But I still prefer Windows 7 over Windows 10, so I still run it in a test computer.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.