Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Samsung SSD SATA 3 , 4TB drive , Rapid mode limitation

435 views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  Oddba11 
#1 ·
Samsung's Magician software ( Ver 6.00 latest ) informs me that I cannot have more than 1 SATA based SSD running in Rapid mode. I have 2. I added the 2nd one to backup the 1st drive. So Rapid mode is grayed out and said NOPE, but it doesn't give any explanations of why. It still takes hours at a rate of 100 or so mb per min to get my backups done. The 1st drive is zipping along while the 2nd one aint no faster that a mechanical drive.

Anyone ever run across this?

#2 ·
Taken from the Samsung description: Rapid Mode instead uses intelligence and other resources in your PC, namely the RAM, to cache files for quicker access and a more streamlined write process.

So that isn't going to help you make backups even if you could turn it on.

#4 ·
RAM being used as a buffer, speeds up seek times, assuming it's caching files that you are looking for.

Backups are limited by read speed, transfer speed, and write speed. You aren't limited by seek times because you are simply copying data from one drive to another. There would be no difference even with it enabled. It could possibly even make the process slower as the Rapid Mode process and the copy process are both trying to read from the drive at the same time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.