Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

"Not Responding" message

711 views 8 replies 2 participants last post by  gipsolre 
#1 ·
When I try to open a document that is saved on my laptop or my external hard drive I get the message "not responding" at the top of the window and it freezes. I have been having this issue for quite a while and I thought it was related to my external hard drive, but it crashed the other day and I took it and my laptop someplace to be fixed. My external hard drive was shipped off to try to retrieve the data and my laptop was scanned for malware, etc. and was found all good. Today when I started my laptop and tried to open a document, I got the "not responding" message again. Do you know what could possibly be causing this? I have attached a screenshot of the message as well as my system specs. I am using Windows 10 Home. Thanks!
Font Electronic device Display device Auto part Screenshot
Font Darkness Monochrome photography Brand Circle

See less See more
#2 ·
This normally means the RAM is in use and one needs to wait for the system to clear some.

What programs are running as each of them will have some of you RAM in use?

#6 ·
The size of these files may be large enough to cause this.
Word files with a lot of images can eat up RAM real quick.

I would look in the Task Manager and see what using the RAM.

Edit:
What protection programs are you running on this machine?

#7 ·
The files are small...one page word docs or excel sheets. It's been doing this for a while, but like I said my laptop was just checked for malware and viruses. I now have Webroot Secure Anywhere, before that it was McAfee. But even with the changes it's still doing the same thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.