Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Desktop Completely Freezing Randomly

292 views 1 reply 1 participant last post by  CMCHKnight 
#1 ·
So I have a recently-escalating problem with my HP Windows 10 desktop that has existed for a few months now. At first, I would sometimes leave the PC on while I grabbed something from a different room and it would occasionally be unresponsive when I got back. The screen would be frozen, the mouse not moving, and the keyboard not doing anything. The only way to restore function to the computer was to hold the power button until power was cut and then reboot it. That continued for a couple months.

About a month ago, the desktop would often freeze again soon after the first reboot, requiring me to do it a few times before the computer would act normally for a week or so. It also began freezing while I was working on it. It was during this time that I realized (because I was carefully watching for freezing) that the screen and all icons or pictures I would normally be able to interact with would freeze first. The keyboard would stop functioning at the same time.

Notably, however, I would still be able to move the mouse. Nothing on screen would respond to its movement, though. As soon as I clicked, the mouse would begin jumping as if the screen was running at ~10 FPS. After clicking a few more times, the mouse would begin “imitating” the last motion it received. For instance, if I quickly moved the mouse in a small circle, it would continue jumping around to make more circles even after I stopped moving it. Clicking more after that point just resulted in the mouse freezing.

Today, while using the desktop, it froze and I proceeded to reboot the computer as normal. As opposed to previous times this has happened, though, the computer would consistently freeze just seconds after booting up, a couple times while the computer was still locked. Realizing cutting power repeatedly would likely cause more harm than good, I’ve since completely powered it down.

I would generally consider myself to be good with computers but this issue really has me stumped. I’ve not been able to find anything like it and the fact that the mouse freezes after the rest of the computer has confused me more than helped. Does anyone know what I can do to solve this issue? Any help is much appreciated. If I can get the computer working, I’ll download and use the SysInfo tool to get specifics on the hardware. Until then, I’ll try to answer any questions to the best of my knowledge.

See less See more
#2 ·
Unfortunately, I know believe that this error may be unrelated to Windows 10 as the computer can start in Safe Mode just fine. To be fair, I don't know much about Safe Mode, though. Here is the data I managed to get using the SysInfo utility:
Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.9
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 64 bit, Build 18363, Installed 20191014233812.000000-300
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700K CPU @ 4.00GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 94 Stepping 3, CPU Count: 8
Total Physical RAM: 32 GB
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 Ti
Hard Drives: C: 226 GB (94 GB Free); D: 1862 GB (1172 GB Free); E: 10 GB (1 GB Free); H: 1863 GB (1165 GB Free);
Motherboard: HP 2B4B, ver 1.04, s/n 149314250002429
System: AMI, ver HPQOEM - 1072009, s/n 2MD6290HNH
Antivirus: Windows Defender, Enabled and Updated

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.